[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

End of the day nobody is fooling anyone here. Most media and fans know who was or was not injured. It is telling in their play.

The team clearly to a man was not going to use injuries as an excuse. Most players were simply more tactful in their responses on media day. Looks like Hronek got the memo but is a terrible liar and it showed when he was asked then called on his response. He was injured duh.

Paterson is a bit of a negative dink in the media and he literally called Hronek on lying and tried to get something out of him to no avail.

Like I said nobody is pretending he wasn't hurt but him. Fans and media want to know what is going on and as much as people have a right to privacy, the point of these media availabilities is to set things straight which Hronek wanted no part of.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Right, it's not a courtroom, but media responsibilities are part of the job and written into their contracts. You're also right that a player doesn't owe reporters personal details they don't wish to share, but that's not the problem here. The whole point of being there was for them to speak about their play on the ice and be accountable. That's part of what their contract requires of them and what they signed up for.  If H wanted to avoid blaming his play on injuries, then there lots of ways he could have done that, none of which require sounding like a bitter teen forced to talk about his dating life at a family dinner. 

you can also laugh and say, oh thats just Uncle Hronek. People are choosing to make this a thing. 

• Cheers 3

VANCOUVER — Of all the Vancouver Canucks who were given the chance Thursday to disclose a playoff injury not already in the public domain, Elias Pettersson was the only one who took the opportunity to confess.

News that he had suffered a knee injury in January that became worse over time — coach Rick Tocchet later described it as tendinitis — was greeted with relief in Canucks Nation because at least there is a sensible, unthreatening explanation why the franchise’s $92.8-million-US star floundered through a month of the Stanley Cup tournament and exited his first real National Hockey League playoffs with just one goal and six points in 13 games.

It's a shame that Pettersson was unable to be at his best. But his injury revelation was also a reminder how much the 25-year-old needs to learn about playoff hockey. 

His honesty during the Canucks' year-end press conferences was not the problem; we’re in the truth business and, in a sense, it was brave of Pettersson to expose his vulnerability.

We don’t know details of the tendinitis, but do know he went to the All-Star Game at the end of January, played every regular-season game and over many weeks missed only a few practices or non-optional morning skates.

Pettersson says he's been dealing with knee injury since January

“We worked with the doctors and the trainers and felt he could keep going,” Tocchet explained at his own press conference a couple of hours later. “So no, we didn’t feel like we had to shut him down.”

Here’s something else we know: by the second round of the playoffs, 90-plus games into the NHL endurance test, many players are working through various degrees of injury. Word out of Edmonton after the Oilers beat the Canucks in Game 7 on Monday is that both Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid were playing hurt. They probably still are, having opened the Western Conference Final against the Dallas Stars on Thursday night.

Canuck defenceman Filip Hronek, who was seen often with a wrap on his forearm during the final weeks of the season, vehemently denied being hurt. Agitated, he had to deny it twice because a reporter was unhappy with the player’s original answer.

“What do you want me to say, like, on an injury?” Hronek said. “If I didn't have an injury, what do you want me to say? I said no.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veteran defenceman Ian Cole, who reporters were told required medical treatment after games while struggling against the Oilers, said Thursday: “We don't need to get into it. It's not really important at this point. Obviously, we didn't win the series. And you know as a team, we didn't get the job done. No excuses. Didn't get it done.”

Even Canucks captain Quinn Hughes, who at 24 is a year younger than Pettersson, refused to use the physical battering he absorbed in the opening round against the Nashville Predators as a reason for his modest production against the Oilers.

“Everyone's feeling tired or has something going on or a little soreness,” Hughes said. “But for me, I felt good — good enough to play at my best and that's what I tried to do. 

“As far as the physical abuse, I think that's just something that everyone's going to have to deal with. And for me, I think that's just: continue to be mentally tough, and learn about yourself in these situations and grow from them.”

And, really, that is all that Pettersson needs to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROCK IN A HARD PLACE

After Boeser followed his breakthrough 40-goal regular season with a superb playoff run in which he was one of the best Canucks, the senior skatesman in Vancouver admitted he was “crushed” to miss Game 7 with a blood clot in his lower leg.

The longest-tenured Canuck, Boeser explained to reporters that he was struck by a puck in Game 1 against Edmonton, but pain in his calf increased over the next week before a medical scan revealed a clot “in one of my small veins, which wasn't an issue.” As he continued playing, however, he said his leg felt worse in Games 5 and 6 before a second scan revealed a more dangerous clot and Boeser was pulled from the lineup.

The 27-year-old said he is on blood thinners, but will be able to begin his off-season training as usual as long as he is careful about not cutting himself or bumping his head. 

Could Boeser have made the difference in Game 7, when the Canucks lost 3-2?

“Yeah, of course, I feel I can make a difference,” he said. “I'm crushed. I wish I could have been out there with the guys. Obviously, a one-goal game. . . of course, I'm sitting there and saying, ‘Yeah, I could have scored in this game.’ You never know what would have happened if I played. I would have done anything to be out there. I asked if I could play and tried to push them, but obviously the risks are too big. I had to protect my future; I don't want health issues moving forward.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the feeling these guys want another crack at it ASAP?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

you can also laugh and say, oh thats just Uncle Hronek. People are choosing to make this a thing. 

No one is claiming that he committed a moral crime. Or at least I'm not. I just don't think H did himself any favours and that there was nothing inappropriate about JPat's injury question.

• Like 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

English is also not his first language.  Diplomacy is not something that can be exercised when you're not familiar with the nuances of the language being used.  The simplest answer is "no".  I don't think there's a problem with his answer - media will speculate as media will regardless of the answer he gives, and it's clear JPat doesn't respect him so there's no need to show respect in return.

I'm not familiar with any past history between H & JPat. I was just focusing on the content of the injury question and H's response. I don't think a language barrier played a role here: H understood the q just fine. I like H as a player, but I don't think he did himself any favours. 

1 minute ago, syntheticity said:

I'm not familiar with any past history between H & JPat. I was just focusing on the content of the injury question and H's response. I don't think a language barrier played a role here: H understood the q just fine. I like H as a player, but I don't think he did himself any favours. 

Understanding and elucidating a response are two different things.  If you can't figure out the difference between the two, I can't help you there.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

like other people are choosing not to make it a thing?

It's almost like different people will have different opinions.

Who'd of thunk?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Do you think some players were hush about their injuries (ex. Cole and Hronek) so they don't appear weak in and "damaged" which may affect their negotiating powers?

No. I think it's strictly a personality thing. Hughes also didn't admit to an injury, he has a contract and was clearly injured. It's playoffs, everyone has some sort of injury. If anything an injury explaining bad play for Hronek would be a boon to his negotiating because the alternative is he was simply not nearly as good for half a season or playing above his paygrade for half a season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, syntheticity said:

What narrative are you referring to? Dan Murphy's recent tweet might shed some light on what happened:

If this is indeed the case, then it would be more accurate to say that JPat was the one pushing back against a false narrative, not vice versa...

That specifically I was refering to the media and their narratives in general, and pushing back being refreshing. That's why "narratives" is plural. I was referring to the act of Hronek pushing back against the media as refreshing and how we need more if that in this city. 

It was the push-pull for control of the narrative that existed between the two in the moment. It was clear and obvious Hronek was shutting him down to retain control. 

Whether he was lying, that's a different conversation. I don't know if the injury is indeed the case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Not in understanding the question, but in responding to it.  Maybe the words don't come as easily  (just as has been the case with Petey in the past).

Drama. Our team has too much of it...let's not buy into it.

The media also went hard at JT back in the day, just move along to the next target? Controversy sells but we don't have to buy it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I would not be surprised to see Hronek traded off.

Alvin indicated they wanted him to 'lead a pairing', and the few times it was tried this season, it wasn't very successful.

Leaves them to try the same thing again, and hope for better results; or try something different.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

No one is claiming that he committed a moral crime. Or at least I'm not. I just don't think H did himself any favours and that there was nothing inappropriate about JPat's injury question.

There isn't anything inappropriate about those two questions. Hronek just didn't act way he and others wanted or expected.  That's why we're here. And I say, good for him. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Uh oh, Hronek's the new JT?

Moody, mean, snarly, doesn't give a sh. I like it.

I think you're onto something here, maybe we need more guys like Miller and Hronek and RT instill this message in their heads 

tenor.gif

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Do you think some players were hush about their injuries (ex. Cole and Hronek) so they don't appear weak in and "damaged" which may affect their negotiating powers?

I think it is more an RT/PA/JR thing; don't make excuses. In Petey's case, they probably made an exception as something had to be said to quiet some of the noise around his play and new contract.

As for Hronek, best case for us is he is pissed about his play, and takes a bridge to prove himself as a 8m guy. Then, canucks get value at the position for a couple years and a player that is motivated to hit a pay day on the high. Good news on the trade front too if he doesn't fit our cost structure after a year or two.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Pat's delivery of it was kind of dickish. I get thats his shtick, but he got the response he deserved imo.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Understanding and elucidating a response are two different things.  If you can't figure out the difference between the two, I can't help you there.

No need to be condensending. If you think a distinction btw understanding & elucidating can be usefully invoked to defend H, then just say that without imputing that other posters lack cognitive ability.

A number of other players who were asked the same injury question are also non-native speakers and managed to respond just fine, without divulging details they didn't wish to divulge. So I'm not seeing this as a language issue.

Different people had different reactions to H's response and that's fine. 

20 minutes ago, Gurn said:

like other people are choosing not to make it a thing?

It's almost like different people will have different opinions.

Who'd of thunk?!

there's a difference, tho, which you know. Choosing to make things out of nothing "because media" usually isn't a good thing. Ignoring things that should be ignored doesn't usually lead to issues.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I would not be surprised to see Hronek traded off.

Alvin indicated they wanted him to 'lead a pairing', and the few times it was tried this season, it wasn't very successful.

Leaves them to try the same thing again, and hope for better results; or try something different.

What Allvin will probably do is prioritize who they prefer to come back and go from there. Apparently all their free agents want to come back. Now who stays, who walks is the question we'll see answered probably soon enough 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1