[Specualtion] Canucks considering buying out Mikheyev contract

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

I’d say that’s more likely. Myers also already got his bag from the organization - he’s not going to sign for peanuts but I can’t see him being particularly difficult. 

If we’re lucky we can get them both for about 7 - but if we do we likely aren’t getting one of Hronek or Zadorov.

Would like to bring him back.  3 x 2 is the range he's expected to go for, that's Cole's money.   Soucy Myers creates a solid bottom pairing, that can also play 20 minutes a game.   Not really a bottom pairing. 

Team won't have much choice but to play Juulsen 18 minutes a game with one of Zadarov or QHs.    Cap wise.   Leaves Hronek's role in question.    Allvin said he wants to see Hronek on his own line.   Does that mean he intends to sign him long term?   Not necessarily at all.   

To me the top priority, is Zadarov.   He can also play his off side with QHs.  

Lindholm is almost as important, believe we will do what we can to sign him as well.  

Joshau is a no brainer at 3.25 x 4.   He's earned it.    And if we don't sign him, we will be playing against him.   Our forward group needs another Joshua, not less Joshua. 

Then see what free agency has to offer.    Then deal with Hronek.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just heard an interesting rumour that Tanner Jeannot may be being shipped out by the TBL in part to help create 2.65mill of additional cap space to re-sign Stamkos and as well because Jeannot is in the last year of his deal and will be 28 upon expiry. 

Imho he’s an ideal candidate to go after for grit in bottom 6. Crazy what TBL gave up for him in trade in the first place though:

Traded to Tampa Bay by Nashville for Cal Foote, a 1st-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft, 2nd-round pick in 2024 and 3rd-, 4th- and 5th-round picks in 2023, February 26, 2023.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Gurn said:

Jalen Chatfield is a 20 minute a game guy, on rd.

Has a bit of history here, and might want to come back. Got minim dollars last year, 762,500, 

A couple second overtime games and playing more minutes when Pesce was injured doesn't make him a true 20 minute a game guy. He averaged 15 minutes a game in the regular season this year which was a career high. A serviceable NHLer yes, but he didn't suddenly become a true top 4 defenseman. (Also that 20min/game in the playoffs still just placed him 5th on Carolina's defense).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Would like to bring him back.  3 x 2 is the range he's expected to go for, that's Cole's money.   Soucy Myers creates a solid bottom pairing, that can also play 20 minutes a game.   Not really a bottom pairing. 

Team won't have much choice but to play Juulsen 18 minutes a game with one of Zadarov or QHs.    Cap wise.   Leaves Hronek's role in question.    Allvin said he wants to see Hronek on his own line.   Does that mean he intends to sign him long term?   Not necessarily at all.   

To me the top priority, is Zadarov.   He can also play his off side with QHs.  

Lindholm is almost as important, believe we will do what we can to sign him as well.  

Joshau is a no brainer at 3.25 x 4.   He's earned it.    And if we don't sign him, we will be playing against him.   Our forward group needs another Joshua, not less Joshua. 

Then see what free agency has to offer.    Then deal with Hronek.  

Yearly cap allocation

Hronek - 7.35

Lindholm - 7.5

Joshua - 3.25

Myers - 3.1

IMHAO I don’t see Zadorov being here next season. We aren’t going to allocate the cap he will get to our bottom pairing. 

Hughes, 

Soucy, Hronek

, Myers 

Juulsson 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Smart choice! Love to get Dillon here. Maybe we can re-sign Myers too?

bottom pairing of Dillon-Myers would be pretty imposing. 

Who would be our second pairing RHD? and if you think Hronek, who will be our top pairing RHD? 

That will be a lot of money spent on D...

Edited by spook007

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Who would be our second pairing RHD?

Didn’t PA suggest Hronek was going to anchor the second pairing? IMHAO we will extend Hronek, re-sign Myers and PA will be out shopping for a Hughes partner. 
Hughes ?

Soucy Hronek

Dillon Myers

Juulsson 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yearly cap allocation

Hronek - 7.35

Lindholm - 7.5

Joshua - 3.25

Myers - 3.1

IMHAO I don’t see Zadorov being here next season. We aren’t going to allocate the cap he will get to our bottom pairing. 

Hughes, 

Soucy, Hronek

, Myers 

Juulsson 

I don’t necessarily agree.

Soucy and Myers will be the bottom pair and I doubt they split Hughes/Hronek since it was the best duo in the league in the first half.

So the challenge will be building a steady second pair. Could a Zadorov/Tanev pairing work? That’s roughly 30 mil on D, not that out of line with what other top teams pay.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Soucy and Myers will be the bottom pair and I doubt they split Hughes/Hronek since it was the best duo in the league in the first half.

So the challenge will be building a steady second pair. Could a Zadorov/Tanev pairing work? That’s roughly 30 mil on D, not that out of line with what other top teams pay.

I like the idea of Tanev. He could be Zadorov’s defensive conscience. 
What do you see landing both Zadorov and Tanev? Five per and 4 per? 

Just now, Alflives said:

I like the idea of Tanev. He could be Zadorov’s defensive conscience. 
What do you see landing both Zadorov and Tanev? Five per and 4 per? 

5 for Z and if Tanev makes the open market then somewhere around 4.5-5 should bring him home.

• Like 2

Mikheyev is a career 0.49 ppg player.  Although prior to this season he was coming off back to back 0.60 ppg seasons with the last one on a bad knee.  He would be the first to admit that he had a terrible year.  He was also coming off major knee surgery.  I would give him the opportunity to bounce back after a good offseason of training like Boeser and Garland did this year.  Saying this he should be a 3rd line player that can move up in case of injury while also playing a big role on the PK.  Unfortunately PA paid him like a top 6.  I predict he bounces back next season with us or another team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

5 for Z and if Tanev makes the open market then somewhere around 4.5-5 should bring him home.

Hughes (7.8)

Hronek (7.3)

Zadorov (5.5)

Tanev (4.5)

Soucy (3.5)

Myers (3)

Juulsson (1)

32-35 mil for our D. 

3 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

Mikheyev is a career 0.49 ppg player.  Although prior to this season he was coming off back to back 0.60 ppg seasons with the last one on a bad knee.  He would be the first to admit that he had a terrible year.  He was also coming off major knee surgery.  I would give him the opportunity to bounce back after a good offseason of training like Boeser and Garland did this year.  Saying this he should be a 3rd line player that can move up in case of injury while also playing a big role on the PK.  Unfortunately PA paid him like a top 6.  I predict he bounces back next season with us or another team.

But where does he fit?

We already have Joshua and Garland on the third line (assuming Joshua is re-signed)

That’s too much for a guy that hasn’t shown he can produce outside the bottom 6.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hughes (7.8)

Hronek (7.3)

Zadorov (5.5)

Tanev (4.5)

Soucy (3.5)

Myers (3)

Juulsson (1)

32-35 mil for our D. 

Basically upgrading Cole with Tanev. That would have made a massive difference in our series.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

But where does he fit?

We already have Joshua and Garland on the third line (assuming Joshua is re-signed)

That’s too much for a guy that hasn’t shown he can produce outside the bottom 6.

A healthy Mik has fit nicely with Petey.

If we re-sign Lindy then we have two top line pairs: Miller, Boeser and Lindy, Petey. A healthy Mik fits in nicely on either line. 

• Confused 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

But where does he fit?

He proved he can’t be trusted in a top 6 role but he has speed and is good on the PK.  He would be an overpaid bottom 6, with potential to bounce back.  Buying him out or paying draft picks or bringing back another bad contract is not good either.  
The last time he had a 0.30ppg season he bounced back with a 0.60 ppg season.

4 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

He proved he can’t be trusted in a top 6 role but he has speed and is good on the PK.  He would be an overpaid bottom 6, with potential to bounce back.  Buying him out or paying draft picks or bringing back another bad contract is not good either.  

Not being able to sign a top 4 D man because we’re stuck with that contract would be worse IMO.

I don’t mind the Mikheyev for Kotkeniemi trade. Buying him out would free up even more cap. They’re gonna have to get creative like that if they wanna keep pushing this roster forward.

Mikheyev was a luxury for this team even at his best. I think it was short sited to tie that money up into a third liner especially when we already had Garland locked in.

9 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

Actually a healthy Mik proved he is a middle six winger. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually a healthy Mik proved he is a middle six winger. 

We need different type of wingers though IMO.

Guys that can hold onto pucks and make plays. This team struggled to generate offense with the dump and chase approach.

Edited by DeNiro

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This and if Hronek won't agree to that deal then..........

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not being able to sign a top 4 D man because we’re stuck with that contract would be worse IMO.

I don’t mind the Mikheyev for Kotkeniemi trade. Buying him out would free up even more cap. They’re gonna have to get creative like that if they wanna keep pushing this roster forward.

Mikheyev was a luxury for this team even at his best. I think it was short sited to tie that money up into a third liner especially when we already had Garland locked in.

Kotkeniemi is a way worse anchor than Mikheyev.  Signed to 2030.  Picking him up is cap suicide.  If you like him wait until the Canes buy him out and then sign him for 2 million.

2 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

Kotkeniemi is a way worse anchor than Mikheyev.  Signed to 2030.  Picking him up is cap suicide.  If you like him wait until the Canes buy him out and then sign him for 2 million.

Why would he pick us for 2 mil? 

8 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

You make the trade to buy him out. His cap hit is like 850k for 10 years. 

Frees up 4 mil for the next two years which will be a crucial window for this team.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Again a healthy Mik is clearly a middle six winger. 

I think we could be in a situation where Mik is healthy, but has also lost a half step. Without that blazing speed, not sure he's someone we want to keep. I like him and was happy when we signed him but that Calgary plug wrecked his knee.