[Specualtion] Canucks considering buying out Mikheyev contract

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think we could be in a situation where Mik is healthy, but has also lost a half step. Without that blazing speed, not sure he's someone we want to keep. I like him and was happy when we signed him but that Calgary plug wrecked his knee.

True. There is concern with Mik’s health. LTIR to Robidas island if that’s the case. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True. There is concern with Mik’s health. LTIR to Robidas island if that’s the case. 

When have the canucks ever gotten away with anything like that. The league would just make a new rule. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t necessarily agree.

Soucy and Myers will be the bottom pair and I doubt they split Hughes/Hronek since it was the best duo in the league in the first half.

So the challenge will be building a steady second pair. Could a Zadorov/Tanev pairing work? That’s roughly 30 mil on D, not that out of line with what other top teams pay.

It all depends on what guys want to ask for.  

Getting Hughes-Hronek (7.5 ish) for 15.5 pair

Zadorov(5 mil) Tanev (5 mil) for 10 total

Soucy - Myers (3 mil-ish) for 6.25 mil total is under 32 mil. I think those numbers are fair and the total isn’t egregious… and would be a contender-level group. 

I like the idea of spending on the back end, but rumours sound like management are more focused on offence. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

When have the canucks ever gotten away with anything like that. The league would just make a new rule. 

If Mik isn’t healthy though then LTIR is what the rules allow for. Healthy he’s a proven middle six player. 

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It all depends on what guys want to ask for.  

Getting Hughes-Hronek (7.5 ish) for 15.5 pair

Zadorov(5 mil) Tanev (5 mil) for 10 total

Soucy - Myers (3 mil-ish) for 6.25 mil total is under 32 mil. I think those numbers are fair and the total isn’t egregious… and would be a contender-level group. 

I like the idea of spending on the back end, but rumours sound like management are more focused on offence. 

Looks good but what about D Petey and Willander? Both are likely pushing for spots in two years. D Petey might even be pushing this coming camp.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again a healthy Mik is clearly a middle six winger. 

I will concede 3rd line.  Even when healthy Mik has never played consistently on the 2nd line with success.  That was a gamble PA made when he signed him to almost 5 million and lost.  I do think he will bounce back next season, but he is still a 3rd liner.  Garland is a player that should be in the top six.  Or you can keep him as the driver of the 3rd line.  Mikheyev is not a driver, he is a complimentary player.  That’s why Garland is not overpaid and Mikheyev is.

• Vintage 1

Just now, QuinnNorris said:

I will concede 3rd line.  Even when healthy Mik has never played consistently on the 2nd line with success.  That was a gamble PA made when he signed him to almost 5 million and lost.  I do think he will bounce back next season, but he is still a 3rd liner.  Garland is a player that should be in the top six.  Or you can keep him as the driver of the 3rd line.  Mikheyev is not a driver, he is a complimentary player.  That’s why Garland is not overpaid and Mikheyev is.

Concede whatever you like but Mik is a middle six winger. Garland is a middle six winger too. He’s just small so we will hopefully be able to move out all of his cap this summer. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

5 for Z and if Tanev makes the open market then somewhere around 4.5-5 should bring him home.

Canucks should work at getting Matt Roy.  He's 5yrs younger, healthier, has more offence and

has often paired with younger players.  He has always played for LA, but offering him a longer

term might get him in Vancouver.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks good but what about D Petey and Willander? Both are likely pushing for spots in two years. D Petey might even be pushing this coming camp.

Soucy is up in 2 years and I would expect Tanev and Myers wouldn’t be signed for more than 2 apiece.  

I would actually be better signing Myers a little longer than Tanev to keep his AAV down as a 3rd pair guy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I like Dillon a lot as well, but his salary is an issue.  He is already making $3.9m and will

likely make at least that in UFA.  He's 4yrs older than Soucy and makes more $(3.25x2yrs).

He is a similar player, but is he that much better than Soucy?  Can he play on the 2nd

pairing consistently?

Plus if he plays with Huggy

Wouldn't it be great to see Dillon punch somebody's lights out if they fk with Huggy. Like punch straight through their bitch ass visor.

• Haha 2

Why would we do that? 

The problem I see with Hronek is he needs to be on his own pair away from Hughes and only unite them on the PP. Hronek saucing across the blueline and holding the fort is something a much more inexpensive D could do that would be more suited to their skillset. 

We can't pay him what he's worth 7m+ to do what he is doing especially the back half. I think we saw Schenn do an adequate job playing with Hughes in that role. There isn't a 5m gap between the two performances. 

So is it that Hronek couldn't get it done on his own pair? He had looks with good D. I think Zadorov took his lunch money. Of the two Zadorov soundly out played Hronek and will cost less leaving enough money to par for a servicable stop gap RHD who can sauce across the blue line and hold the fort. 

I think you still demand top dollar in trade for Hronek an offer sheet would be a 1st 2nd and 3rd min. I think you look at a mid 1st + a decent depth player for Hronek + Mik. Or a 4-5m winger to play w Pete + a prospect/pick. 

Ideally of course you agree to an extension with Hronek and he excels on his own pair. 

If Zadorov costs 6 or less and Hronek costs 8 and the difference costs us Dak. I'll take Zad + Dak. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Mik isn’t healthy though then LTIR is what the rules allow for. Healthy he’s a proven middle six player. 

I don't agree. He is healthy enough to play. We saw it.

His hands make Jannik Hansen look like Forsberg. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I don't agree. He is healthy enough to play. We saw it.

His hands make Jannik Hansen look like Forsberg. 

Clearly though Mik isn’t healthy. When healthy he’s a good middle six winger. 

Clearly though Mik isn’t healthy. When healthy he’s a good middle six winger. 

Thats not the point. Thats just what you keep repeating hopng that if you say it enough it will manifest. Like your terrible takes on Garland who actually drives play. Mik is healthy enough to play. The league will never agree to put him on LTIR unless he does indeed need a 2nd surgery. The rule doesn't state if he can't play middle 6 you can robidas island him. 

The reality is Mik was never worth what Alvin paid healthy or not.  He's charmin stone hands 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Concede whatever you like but Mik is a middle six winger. Garland is a middle six winger too. He’s just small so we will hopefully be able to move out all of his cap this summer. 

Mik clearly has been struggling to get his game back from a long term injury.  It's doubtful that

a team will gamble on Mik's health with a 4.75m cap hit.

It will cost 6.4m (over 4yrs) to buy him out, so why not trade him with retention?

Pitts gets Mik (1.75m retained).  Mik is a great buy at 3m on their 3rd line.

Van gets 3m cap relief + Vasili Ponomaryov C (22yr with 1 more year waiver exempt.

"The motor on this kid is unrelenting. He backtracks well through the neutral zone, consistently applies back-pressure, and is dogged in 50-50 puck battles. He's a legitimate two-way centre, the type that makes his presence felt at every corner of the ice". -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

This kid reminds me of Galand the way he plays the game.  He's a bit taller and more weighty

than conor, but also loves to forecheck and to battle along the boards.  He has offensive

capabilities as well. He went to Pitts in the Guentzel trade.  From what I've read, he looked

NHL ready but couldn't compete with Carolina's # of young Cs already on the team.

Edited by higgyfan

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Thats not the point. Thats just what you keep repeating hopng that if you say it enough it will manifest. Like your terrible takes on Garland who actually drives play. Mik is healthy enough to play. The league will never agree to put him on LTIR unless he does indeed need a 2nd surgery. The rule doesn't state if he can't play middle 6 you can robidas island him. 

The reality is Mik was never worth what Alvin paid healthy or not.  He's charmin stone hands 

It was one of those, it looked good at the time kind of pickup. The Canucks desperately needed to increase speed. His last year in Toronto he had 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points and +16. He had 28 points including 13 goals before they shut him down for surgery in 46 games. I love how people round up his $4.75 million hit to $5.

But if he's recovered, then his hands have vanished, along with the rest of his offensive game. It's just $4.75M for a defensive for a winger that is not a Selke candidate is too steep. Could he recover his 20 goal form? No idea.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Mik clearly has been struggling to get his game back from a long term injury.  It's doubtful that

a team will gamble on Mik's health with a 4.75m cap hit.

It will cost 6.4m (over 4yrs) to buy him out, so why not trade him with retention?

Pitts gets Mik (1.5m retained).  Mik is a great buy at 3m on their 3rd line.

Van gets 3m cap relief + Vasili Ponomaryov C (22yr with 1 more year waiver exempt.

"The motor on this kid is unrelenting. He backtracks well through the neutral zone, consistently applies back-pressure, and is dogged in 50-50 puck battles. He's a legitimate two-way centre, the type that makes his presence felt at every corner of the ice". -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

This kid reminds me of Galand the way he plays the game.  He's a bit taller and more weighty

than conor, but also loves to forecheck and to battle along the boards.  He has offensive

capabilities as well. He went to Pitts in the Guentzel trade.  From what I've read, he looked

NHL ready but couldn't compete with Carolina's # of young Cs already on the team.

My hope is straight trade without sweetner to a team that needs forwards. 2nd option is a trade with as little retention as possible. 3rd is the buyout.

I really think PA would have to exhaust all avenues before he'd go the buyout route.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My hope is straight trade without sweetner to a team that needs forwards. 2nd option is a trade with as little retention as possible. 3rd is the buyout.

I really think PA would have to exhaust all avenues before he'd go the buyout route.

I don't think anyone takes Mik at full cost.  Offering 1.75 retention and getting 3m cap + prospect

is a good trade for both teams.  A buy out is the last case scenario.

People may think this is crazy, but I feel like this is THE offseason to trade Brock. I don't see his value getting any higher then it is now and will surely drop by this time next year.

Mik + Brock for Kok + Necas

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

no one will take him as a cap dump

an example around here as a hockey trade would be for JK from CAR but that's not a plan A, because if it was it would have happened already.

Now if CAR adds or retains say 0.5 K on JK then yes please

I think with sweetness like Woo +Klimovich or Podkolzin a team like Chicago would take the entire contract and send us a late pick back 

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was one of those, it looked good at the time kind of pickup. The Canucks desperately needed to increase speed. His last year in Toronto he had 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points and +16. He had 28 points including 13 goals before they shut him down for surgery in 46 games. I love how people round up his $4.75 million hit to $5.

But if he's recovered, then his hands have vanished, along with the rest of his offensive game. It's just $4.75M for a defensive for a winger that is not a Selke candidate is too steep. Could he recover his 20 goal form? No idea.

It didn't even look good at the time. I never liked the signing and Toronto fans roasted us too. Signing a 27 year old with fewer than 150 career games to a 4 year 4.75mil per contract was dumb even at the time it was signed. It's like we didn't learn our lesson from the Garland signing. Yes, we all love him. But he's not a 5mil player. Management complained about not having cap for defence right after signing a winger to a 4.75mil deal.

Sure, he scored 21 goals with Toronto. After doubling his shooting percentage from the year prior. Speedy winger who never played more than 60 games in 3 seasons at the age of 27. Like, come on. Also has a M-NTC. Only 12 teams, but still. We overpaid, and the NTC didn't even keep the cap down. Considering how close he is to making 5mil. It never looked good imo. Except maybe last year when he overperformed offensively alongside Petey. But like many players their offensive stats went up cause they weren't playing defence.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, KesLord said:

People may think this is crazy, but I feel like this is THE offseason to trade Brock. I don't see his value getting any higher then it is now and will surely drop by this time next year.

Mik + Brock for Kok + Necas

No you aren’t crazy. I love Brock but he’s gonna be looking at 8-9 if he scores 35-40 again next year. The Canucks NEED more speed on the wings if they truly want to push far into the playoffs and it was evident against Edmonton they don’t have it. 

• Vintage 1