[Specualtion] Canucks considering buying out Mikheyev contract

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we could do that, i'd go for it.   They need goaltending.   Is Silovs worth adding?    And would they consider him valuable enough.    If they had a star goalie, their fortunes would vastly improve.    Last year didn't follow the script for them.    

I wouldn’t trade Silovs. He is the future. I would trade Demko instead. Not interested in paying him Hellebuyck money as he’s too injury prone.  It would be a massive mistake to extend Demko to an 8.5x8 contract at 30 years old. 

Silovs will no doubt be the backup ne t season. And I have no doubt he will light it up. Therefore, I think you trade Demko in the summer 2025. Ottawa is one trading partner. Carolina is another. Utah could be aggressive. Buffalo. Of course Toronto. New Jersey. 

Heck, if Allvin wants to be super aggressive there is a small chance they could move Demko this summer. 

IMO, all options are on the table. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn’t trade Silovs. He is the future. I would trade Demko instead. Not interested in paying him Hellebuyck money as he’s too injury prone.  It would be a massive mistake to extend Demko to an 8.5x8 contract at 30 years old. 

Silovs will no doubt be the backup ne t season. And I have no doubt he will light it up. Therefore, I think you trade Demko in the summer 2025. Ottawa is one trading partner. Carolina is another. Utah could be aggressive. Buffalo. Of course Toronto. New Jersey. 

Heck, if Allvin wants to be super aggressive there is a small chance they could move Demko this summer. 

IMO, all options are on the table. 

Trading Demko now would be a huge mistake.

We need to see that Silovs can steal us some games before we think of replacing Demko

Silovs did good, not great

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I guess a second surgery, and this time wait the year for it to rehab? 

If that happens, it's a real bad look on the team management. He shouldn't have

been playing all season, if he were that badly injured.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t PA suggest Hronek was going to anchor the second pairing? IMHAO we will extend Hronek, re-sign Myers and PA will be out shopping for a Hughes partner. 
Hughes ?

Soucy Hronek

Dillon Myers

Juulsson 

INHAO (I...hairy ass off) please tell me what N is (I am a relic amigo 🙂 )

My question was just because I feel its going to be a very expensive d-core?

I thought folks wanted rid of Hronek, as they felt he was going to cost too much...(7+ to anchor 2nd pairing sounds pricey)

Not sure what Dillon would come in at, but would have to be substantially less than Z in order to make it worth while... I would be disappointed to see the tower of strength leave, as he represents everything we have been dying to get into our line up...

Just watching the Dallas v Oilers match up, and Dallas D is nowhere as punishing (so far) as our D was... I'm actually a bit disappointed that they don't see to nail McD as he will be very tender from the Canucks games...

Hughes - Hronek (on somebody else, if they can't agree on numbers)

Soucy - Myers

Zad - Juulsen

(do like the nastiness of Dillon, though), just feel we could get a bit more out of signing Zad, who is 2 years younger...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Just like Eddie Lack was the future. 🤣

Canucks fans never learn. You can’t make a bold claim like that off such a small sample size.

He needs to be a backup for a couple seasons before we even consider him being the future.

Silovs has literally played more playoff games than Demko. Are you actually comparing Silovs to Eddie Lack?  

Silovs was the best PLAYER at the World Championships last year. The Canucks hung him out to dry in several playoff games. 

His technique is flawless. Better than Demko. And he never gets injured. Demko is a hospital’s wet dream. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just like Eddie Lack was the future. 🤣

Canucks fans never learn. You can’t make a bold claim like that off such a small sample size.

He needs to be a backup for a couple seasons before we even consider him being the future.

exactly

(aaron) rome wasnt built in a day, before we even entertain conversations about silovs as a starter, we need to see him stealing games from Demko

He wasn't a big problem for us in the playoffs but he was hardly great

we'll see how he progresses in the next 1-2 years, over the course of 60-70 nhl games. if he starts stealing wins for us and can consistently help us beat top teams, thers a conversation to be had, probably right around demkos contract expiring

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, KesLord said:

People may think this is crazy, but I feel like this is THE offseason to trade Brock. I don't see his value getting any higher then it is now and will surely drop by this time next year.

Mik + Brock for Kok + Necas

I share your sentiment.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs has literally played more playoff games than Demko. Are you actually comparing Silovs to Eddie Lack?  

Silovs was the best PLAYER at the World Championships last year. The Canucks hung him out to dry in several playoff games. 

His technique is flawless. Better than Demko. And he never gets injured. Demko is a hospital’s wet dream. 

Again you’re talking about small sample sizes.

Demko has proven himself over entire seasons and was the runner up for the Vezina.

Silovs needs to prove himself over a full season before he’s even considered an option to be a starter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hold your horses. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If that happens, it's a real bad look on the team management. He shouldn't have

been playing all season, if he were that badly injured.

I recall hearing his agent on 650, sounded very much like miks choice to play.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I share your sentiment.

can i ask why?

i dont see any reason to trade brock, since we'd need to replace his goals anyway. and we'd be trading away a known commodity on and off the ice for an unknown one - we dont know how the outsider is going to fit in chemistry wise, or in the locker room

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Again you’re talking about small sample sizes.

Demko has proven himself over entire seasons and was the runner up for the Vezina.

Silovs needs to prove himself over a full season before he’s even considered an option to be a starter. 

Demko became our de facto #1 goalie after only 37 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He wasn’t even our starter until then. 

At most, Silovs needs one more year as a backup. So ideally we trade Demko in the summer of 2025. 

However, I would not be shocked at all if Allvin was looking at offers this summer. Like you said he was a Vezina finalist this year. So his market value is currently at its peak. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I recall hearing his agent on 650, sounded very much like miks choice to play.

If there was any chance of re-injuring his knee to the point of requiring more surgery;

the team should have just put him on IR.

Just now, higgyfan said:

If there was any chance of re-injuring his knee to the point of requiring more surgery;

the team should have just put him on IR.

Are these decisions solely up to the team? I don't know how the process works.

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Hold your horses. 

I’ve watched enough hockey over 35 years to know that Silovs is the real deal. His technique is flawless. And he’s learning from the best in Ian Clark. He’s literally ready to be a starter in the NHL right now. 

He’s big in the net, very mobile and has flawless technique. And he’s never injured. I don’t think he’s ever had an injury. Reminds me alot of Luongo. 

I’ve watched enough hockey over 35 years to know that Silovs is the real deal. His technique is flawless. And he’s learning from the best in Ian Clark. He’s literally ready to be a starter in the NHL right now. 

He’s big in the net, very mobile and has flawless technique. And he’s never injured. I don’t think he’s ever had an injury. Reminds me alot of Luongo. 

silovs hasnt given us a stretch of games anything like demko gave us in his "prove it" series (against vegas)

silovs is still a sub .9 goaltender who let in some softies. hes not ready. maybe he will be after next year. but we'll see how he looks after 30+ nhl games.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KesLord said:

People may think this is crazy, but I feel like this is THE offseason to trade Brock. I don't see his value getting any higher then it is now and will surely drop by this time next year.

Mik + Brock for Kok + Necas

58 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No you aren’t crazy. I love Brock but he’s gonna be looking at 8-9 if he scores 35-40 again next year. The Canucks NEED more speed on the wings if they truly want to push far into the playoffs and it was evident against Edmonton they don’t have it. 

Only thing I have against trading Brock is that of ALL the players on this core, Boeser is the one guy I see giving the Canucks a hometown discount.  If he signs below his value, then we are further ahead.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Only thing I have against trading Brock is that of ALL the players on this core, Boeser is the one guy I see giving the Canucks a hometown discount.  If he signs below his value, then we are further ahead.

IMHAO Miller at 8 x 7 was a home discount. Agree about Brock. He’s a keeper. Move Garland now he’s got some value. 

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

silovs hasnt given us a stretch of games anything like demko gave us in his "prove it" series (against vegas)

silovs is still a sub .9 goaltender who let in some softies. hes not ready. maybe he will be after next year. but we'll see how he looks after 30+ nhl games.

Demko played 4 games in that “stretch”. Hardly a huge sample size. Silovs played 10 playoff games this year against two different teams. He was literally hung out to dry in several games. Had to play against McDavid and Draisaitl 7 times.  One game we got outshot 45-18. 

Silovs wasn’t perfect but he made a lot of great saves and kept us in almost every game. The only real

bad game was the 5-1 game. But even Luongo had some bad playoff games. 

11 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

can i ask why?

i dont see any reason to trade brock, since we'd need to replace his goals anyway. and we'd be trading away a known commodity on and off the ice for an unknown one - we dont know how the outsider is going to fit in chemistry wise, or in the locker room

Last year of his deal. His value will only go down from here. Sell high. Miller can play with a lot of guys but Brock doesn't do much without Miller. He held out on his last deal I expect he will do the same on his next one or just walk to Minni. 

The proceeds from cashing in on Brock create so many options for mgmt.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko became our de facto #1 goalie after only 37 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He wasn’t even our starter until then. 

At most, Silovs needs one more year as a backup. So ideally we trade Demko in the summer of 2025. 

However, I would not be shocked at all if Allvin was looking at offers this summer. Like you said he was a Vezina finalist this year. So his market value is currently at its peak. 

I'm not sure about trading Demko, but without doubt this conversation will be had, as his value is at peak just now... It's a bit like @KesLord suggesting to trade Brock now... His value will never be higher than it is now... or Garland for that matter, however I am not sure about any of them...

One thing we all do know is, some changes are needed as we did NOT win (as Allvin rightfully pointed out), and the dreaded cap is starting to cast the stench over us, so some thought of money ball is needed to be done in order to get better...  or different way of thinking, as we just can't afford to keep, what we have and improve at the same time...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Cheered me up amigo 😂

Edited by spook007
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Demko definitely had a an edge over Silovs at the same age -started as backup (26 games)

for Marky and 4 playoff games.  The following year, 35 games (.915) and then took over the

starter position, the next season at 25yr.

It will be interesting to see how Silovs is doing in a couple of years, when he's 25. Regardless

he has great potential as a future NHL starter.

• Like 1

Demko is a much higher pedigree goalie than Silovs.  And he put up a .922 in the AHL before getting his shot.  Then he’s at .912 for his career in the NHL.  

Silovs has two years at under .910 in the AHL.  Not bad, but not the same level.  

He’s a gem as a 6th round pick developed in-house… but it’s a pretty big leap of faith to give him the keys to the car next season. So much so I’m confident saying it won’t happen.

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1