2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

51 minutes ago, Poler said:

So a player who was on 120 point pace through half the season suddenly his play dropped dramatically and you think he just his skill or drive made his play worse? 
Put yourself in Petterson shoes your on a contract year the team doing great and you start feeling little pain that’s gradually worse as time goes by. You play through it because you because you don’t want to seem like you can’t play through pain on injury. Also you want to sign your contract. Then it gets worse and by then it’s so painful you can’t skate as hard it affects your shot. You have a linemate who will always shoot at goalie crest and has no finish. Probably when coach realizes how bad shape Petterson is in it’s too late because it’s a few months rest to heal. (I had tennis elbow before and I couldn’t pick anything up with my left hand or would be screaming pain)

The coach probably didn’t want to put the medical staff under the bus as well so he down played his injury and most likely he’s the type that will expect the player to play through pain and reinvent his game. It’s hard to that though mid season with hogglander only one who has good hands. 
Let’s give Petterson the benefit of the doubt we have him for another 8 years and he not even in his prime yet. I highly doubt a player would lie to the fans on tv about something like that. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I guess the difference is you put a lot of your own hypothetical, assumptions, spin on this etc in order to tell a story that backs up an injury.

I say it's much more simple to say the injury thing is a story. I think something happened mentally with petey and he couldn't recover.

15 hours ago, JayDangles said:

So you're willing to throw tocc under the bus over this? To me it's way more likely that petey was playing like shit, and the easiest way to draw attention away from that is to make a very basic injury tweet with zero substance. All of a sudden petey is the hero for playing through an injury.

To me it's way more likely that if an injury did exist, petey kept it to himself and made a long series of bad decisions which ultimately led to him hurting the team and himself.

While I don't agree with your position, I also have to own the fact that my post was very poorly stated. I started out acknowledging that my suspicions were entirely based on guesswork but  then trailed off into a criticism of Tocc that was phrased as if my guesses were spot on. Bad form on my part. Thanks for calling me out on it

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

While I don't agree with your position, I also have to own the fact that my post was very poorly stated. I started out acknowledging that my suspicions were entirely based on guesswork but  then trailed off into a criticism of Tocc that was phrased as if my guesses were spot on. Bad form on my part. Thanks for calling me out on it

All good. I often start a post and realise somewhere near the end that I've drifted into a totally different direction.

I just don't understand how folks will write this long narrative about Petey has been injured, but on the ice he is still hitting, skating, falling, shooting, passing etc like he isn't injured. Not sure how his injury means he is shit on the powerplay. Then they take this narrative and start attacking Tocc, or management etc. 

There are way more signs that his issue was 100% mental.

Also if he was injured he would have sat. He would have skipped the all star, taken the fine and rested. 

Anyways, to me there is a lot more evidence to support that stating an injury was purely about reducing the heat. It's not a malicious lie. Doesn't hurt anyone to say that. It just gives media and fans an excuse and petey some breathing room.

But to me it was completely predictable and convenient. Which makes it not believable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayDangles said:

All good. I often start a post and realise somewhere near the end that I've drifted into a totally different direction.

I just don't understand how folks will write this long narrative about Petey has been injured, but on the ice he is still hitting, skating, falling, shooting, passing etc like he isn't injured. Not sure how his injury means he is shit on the powerplay. Then they take this narrative and start attacking Tocc, or management etc. 

There are way more signs that his issue was 100% mental.

Also if he was injured he would have sat. He would have skipped the all star, taken the fine and rested. 

Anyways, to me there is a lot more evidence to support that stating an injury was purely about reducing the heat. It's not a malicious lie. Doesn't hurt anyone to say that. It just gives media and fans an excuse and petey some breathing room.

But to me it was completely predictable and convenient. Which makes it not believable. 

Yeah, I speculated about the mental / personal issues thing a month or two ago myself and certainly haven't abandoned that possibility as at least part if not a huge part of it all.

Not to start completely unfounded rumours but, knowing what we know about Kes and other players having dealt with injury related pain in various ways, I wonder if maybe the pain management strategies Petey was employing to deal with his tendonitis may have had some impact on his mental sharpness. Kind of connects all the dots between him experiencing a lot of pain that was of the type that he'd feel pressured to play through but then while doing so just not looking anything like his previous self in terms of on ice decisions and even staying on his feet with the same consistency as most players (granted, he's long been a bit of a bambi legs hasn't he?)

Regardless, from a basic human standpoint and an overall Canuck team and player fan standpoint, let's just hope he's able to deal with it over the summer and put it behind him without too much physical or mental baggage negatively impacting his game or his career or his life moving forward

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2024 at 12:26 PM, Poler said:

So a player who was on 120 point pace through half the season suddenly his play dropped dramatically and you think he just his skill or drive made his play worse? 
Put yourself in Petterson shoes your on a contract year the team doing great and you start feeling little pain that’s gradually worse as time goes by. You play through it because you because you don’t want to seem like you can’t play through pain on injury. Also you want to sign your contract. Then it gets worse and by then it’s so painful you can’t skate as hard it affects your shot. You have a linemate who will always shoot at goalie crest and has no finish. Probably when coach realizes how bad shape Petterson is in it’s too late because it’s a few months rest to heal. (I had tennis elbow before and I couldn’t pick anything up with my left hand or would be screaming pain)

The coach probably didn’t want to put the medical staff under the bus as well so he down played his injury and most likely he’s the type that will expect the player to play through pain and reinvent his game. It’s hard to that though mid season with hogglander only one who has good hands. 
Let’s give Petterson the benefit of the doubt we have him for another 8 years and he not even in his prime yet. I highly doubt a player would lie to the fans on tv about something like that. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Not to worry because if 11-6 continues his regression this year, the Canucks can still dump him before his NTC kicks in.

...and yes, we are all aware of the canucks medical staffs reputation....african-natives.gif

• 2 weeks later...