2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

Grandmaster

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Hopefully that is accurate and thus some rest with careful practice / monitoring by Ian Clark and the medical staff will have Demko back in tip top shape next week - fingers crossed. A call up does require a bit of cap gymnastics I think. Either Podz gets sent down to make room for a callup of Silvos or Joshua is put on LTIR retroactively. The latter should do it if my understanding is correct, someone knowledge can confirm.

An illustration of the bind PA is in with Poolman and his LTIR usage for cap compliance - no cap accrual, again if my understanding is correct.

This is exactly what we got Desmith for at the beginning of the year.  He’s looked good in most games he’s played, now the big test is stinging those performances together in quick succession.  Also if there’s any point of the season for Demko to be injured, it is this one.  Lots of time between games and easy opponents 

• Like 2

So seeing the Canadians just traded with the nyi 

if in the worst case and Demkos out till the postseason we could still trade for a goaltender they just couldn’t play in the playoffs. 
not ideal but neither  is running 17 games with desmith  and silovs. 

A ufa goaltender a non playoff team will lose for nothing in two month so maybe a couple late round picks would get it done. 

Ideally it doesn’t come to that but… 

Edited by Combover

Obviously not ideal having Demko out. We’re still fighting for positioning in the standings. Desmith should hold out ok. Maybe a run of games here will sharpen up his game for the playoffs. Never know when you might have to step in. Silovs if called up will most likely play 1 game.

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No!!!!!!!!!!

"Canucks goaltender Thatcher Demko is expected to miss two to three weeks with a knee injury after he exited early in Vancouver's win over the Jets on Saturday. "

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/canucks-g-demko-out-two-to-four-weeks-with-knee-injury~2883182

I mean.. it could have been much worse. 

Edit: Bad time to lose him for a couple weeks... especially with the conference being on the line, but he will be rested going into the post season.

Edited by Dizzle
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No!!!!!!!!!!

"Canucks goaltender Thatcher Demko is expected to miss two to three weeks with a knee injury after he exited early in Vancouver's win over the Jets on Saturday. "

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/canucks-g-demko-out-two-to-four-weeks-with-knee-injury~2883182

This is a great scenario, gives him time to get rested then get into two or three weeks of games before playoffs.

Edited by Captain Kirk

3 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

This is a great scenario, gives him time to get rested then get into two or three weeks of games before playoffs.

Not really. It’s never a “great” scenario when your star goalie goes down with a knee injury 6 weeks before the playoffs. That 2-3 week timeline could easily turn into 2 months. 

Demko had to pack it in last year. I’m hoping the same thing doesn’t happen this year. Knee injuries for a goalie are a serious thing. He might not be at 100% until next season. 

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not really. It’s never a “great” scenario when your star goalie goes down with a knee injury 6 weeks before the playoffs. That 2-3 week timeline could easily turn into 2 months. 

Demko had to pack it in last year. I’m hoping the same thing doesn’t happen this year. Knee injuries for a goalie are a serious thing. He might not be at 100% until next season. 

They never should have played him last game after he showed discomfort during practice in the morning. Should have been more careful given demko injury history. Hopefully he’ll be back close to 100% and ready for the playoff. It’s never a great time for a player to get rest due to an injury. Hopefully desmith can handle the 2-3 weeks or longer. Before the last game and a half his previous 6 game was awful. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

They never should have played him last game after he showed discomfort during practice in the morning. Should have been more careful given demko injury history. Hopefully he’ll be back close to 100% and ready for the playoff. It’s never a great time for a player to get rest due to an injury. Hopefully desmith can handle the 2-3 weeks or longer. Before the last game and a half his previous 6 game was awful. 

It was a huge mistake to play Demko yesterday. He got injured on the first shot of the game. I understand it was an important game. But now it’s created an even worse situation. 

Demko never recovers in 2-3 weeks. His injuries usually require months to recover. Even going back to when he got those concussions in practice from a puck hitting his face mask. Didn’t his first concussion get worse after the Canucks allowed him to fly on a plane shortly after?  

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It was a huge mistake to play Demko yesterday. He got injured on the first shot of the game. I understand it was an important game. But now it’s created an even worse situation. 

Demko never recovers in 2-3 weeks. His injuries usually require months to recover. Even going back to when he got those concussions in practice from a puck hitting his face mask. Didn’t his first concussion get worse after the Canucks allowed him to fly on a plane shortly after?  

lol ppl trolled me by calling me a drama queen or whatever.. when i said they never should have played demko when he showed signs of discomfort in the morning and the coaches should answer why they played him given his extensive injury history. i mean seriously the guy have like 8+ injuries totaling 70+ games since 2018 that's non covid related.. that's a lot for a goalie.. have to be more careful especially so close to the playoff.. imagine it was more serious and he's done for the season.. i mean the timeline is 2-3 weeks.. maybe take another week to practice so prolly closer to a month

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol ppl trolled me by calling me a drama queen or whatever.. when i said they never should have played demko when he showed signs of discomfort in the morning and the coaches should answer why they played him given his extensive injury history. i mean seriously the guy have like 8+ injuries totaling 70+ games since 2018 that's non covid related.. that's a lot for a goalie.. have to be more careful especially so close to the playoff.. imagine it was more serious and he's done for the season.. i mean the timeline is 2-3 weeks.. maybe take another week to practice so prolly closer to a month

I can pretty much guarantee you he won’t be back until April. There is no way Ian Clark will give him the green light to go before he is 100%. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can pretty much guarantee you he won’t be back until April. There is no way Ian Clark will give him the green light to go before he is 100%. 

My guess is he comes back with 4-5 games left.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

f he hadn’t of played, YOU and everyone in here would have blown a gasket… why did they play DeSmith against Winnipeg? Easy to second guess now and make that statement.