2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

Grandmaster

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Demko at practice today.

FB_IMG_1712715196504.jpg

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but with the Coyotes game being last scheduled skate jersey game can we assume he’s gonna be backing up at least?

Why practice in pads that are less broken in if you’re not gonna wear them?

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To not wear them till next season?

Unless you’re suggesting they’ll wear the skate in the playoffs.

Well gotta start breaking them in at some point. It was just tongue in cheek. But…….oh I would love to see the Skate in playoffs

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but with the Coyotes game being last scheduled skate jersey game can we assume he’s gonna be backing up at least?

Why practice in pads that are less broken in if you’re not gonna wear them?

He's worn them a fair bit this year, so your probably overthinking it. Tocchet noted Silovs may start the Arizona game, and they wouldn't send DeSmith down at this point just to let Demko back up. They have Demko on a progression of practices to get him ready to be back without rushing him.

Tocchet says Canucks still taking Thatcher Demko's knee injury 'day-by-day'

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/tocchet-says-canucks-still-taking-thatcher-demkos-knee-injury-day-by-day/

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko says he "feels fine" as he works his way back from a knee injury. 

Getting back onto the ice has taken a whole team of coaching, medical and training staff, Demko told reporters after practice on Thursday. 

“I appreciate the staff that’s been around me kind of matching my focus level and my determination to get back," he said. "Obviously it takes a village."

But when, exactly, Demko will see game action remains unclear.

The 28-year-old netminder said he's long been targeting next Tuesday's home game against the Calgary Flames for a return, but head coach Rick Tocchet said Thursday that Demko is "ahead of schedule." 

Asked whether Demko could be in net Saturday when the Canucks (48-22-9) take on the Oilers in Edmonton, Tocchet said the team is taking the situation is "day-by-day." 

“At this point, I honestly don’t know," the coach said. 

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 1

Would be REALLY STUPID to rush Demko back into action and risk his knee for a non-playoff game.

I don't care how important this game is, it is not a playoff game... the Canucks are in the playoffs no matter what.

And to bring back Demko early and risk a very fragile knee would be incredibly dumb.

Let him heal completely and have him fresh and ready to steal games when the playoffs start.

22 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Would be REALLY STUPID to rush Demko back into action and risk his knee for a non-playoff game.

I don't care how important this game is, it is not a playoff game... the Canucks are in the playoffs no matter what.

And to bring back Demko early and risk a very fragile knee would be incredibly dumb.

Let him heal completely and have him fresh and ready to steal games when the playoffs start.

If he says he's as good as he'll get, wouldn't you value a bit of runway to warm up? You don't want a cold goalie facing playoff pressure.

And Demko confirming after practice he's good to go: 

And Tocchet also confirming he's good to go! 

Edited by elvis15
  • Like 1

Tocchet has hinted at leaving one player back for the Winnipeg game. Looks like it's Boeser, which makes sense considering he's taken a few maintenance days.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:10 PM, elvis15 said:

Just rest for the players scratched, no specific injuries to worry about. The extras get in for a game in their place.

I'm hearing differently especially from the guys on Sportsnet 650. Apparently one of players has some health issues.