2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

Grandmaster

34 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Weird- Toch had said Demko's injury was an upper body iirc, yet here he is talking about pushing off- which would be lower body stuff.

I think the reports that came out was that it was his knee, the same one that had issues, but it was a "different" issue this time.  Whatever that means.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think the reports that came out was that it was his knee, the same one that had issues, but it was a "different" issue this time.  Whatever that means.

That's what I heard, from when it happened, but a couple days back Rick said it was 'upper body' according to a game day thread.

Guess I'm just mega suspicious of anything these guys say about injuries. They are so misleading, almost better they say nothing at all.

I'm hoping, with gambling, and gambling "partners' so prevalent, that the league forces a league standard of reporting.- no more b.s. ing.

• Cheers 1

Never heard the one reference to upper body, I always had heard knee. I mean, I've posted enough tweets.

But continuing the reports of players playing through injuries (so long as Rick got it right 😅): 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Is Demko going to be rushed back for Monday with it being an elimination game?

No Demko for game 7- Rick said after the game.

Waiting now for the team to start divulging who had what injury that each player played through during the playoffs.  Especially Petey, who I suspect is nursing a groin injury of some sort in addition to perhaps an arm or shoulder injury.

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Waiting now for the team to start divulging who had what injury that each player played through during the playoffs.  Especially Petey, who I suspect is nursing a groin injury of some sort in addition to perhaps an arm or shoulder injury.

I'm thinking wrist. His shot definitely wasn't the same but he wasn't scared to be physical so I doubt it was back or shoulder related.

From my observations I'm guessing...

Petey wrist

Hronek elbow 

Cole ankle

Hughes shoulder

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I'm thinking wrist. His shot definitely wasn't the same but he wasn't scared to be physical so I doubt it was back or shoulder related.

From my observations I'm guessing...

Petey wrist

Hronek elbow 

Cole ankle

Hughes shoulder

I'm pretty sure Petey is nursing more than one injury.  His reverse hits are probably hiding the fact that he's got a groin injury/sports hernia because he seemed slower moving up the ice than Brock was from a couple of years ago, and his stickhandling has hidden the fact that he can't seem to pivot and deke other players out.

Hughes (as was mentioned by I think it was @MeanSeanBean in one of the other threads - probably the PGT) likely has a rib issue.

Joshua's finger probably still isn't 100%, and Soucy is probably still dealing with the ailments that knocked him out of the roster for long stretches earlier this year.

You're probably right about Hronek and Cole.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm pretty sure Petey is nursing more than one injury.  His reverse hits are probably hiding the fact that he's got a groin injury/sports hernia because he seemed slower moving up the ice than Brock was from a couple of years ago, and his stickhandling has hidden the fact that he can't seem to pivot and deke other players out.

Hughes (as was mentioned by I think it was @MeanSeanBean in one of the other threads - probably the PGT) likely has a rib issue.

Joshua's finger probably still isn't 100%, and Soucy is probably still dealing with the ailments that knocked him out of the roster for long stretches earlier this year.

You're probably right about Hronek and Cole.

Maybe we'll find out shortly once injury reports start coming out, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's rib for Hughes. Just looks so similar to players I've worked with in the past with cracked ribs. Doesn't technically effect movement, just hurts like sin every time you do anything.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Maybe we'll find out shortly once injury reports start coming out, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's rib for Hughes. Just looks so similar to players I've worked with in the past with cracked ribs. Doesn't technically effect movement, just hurts like sin every time you do anything.

I had a cracked or severely bruised rib from falling onto my elbow pad. 

you’re absolutely right 

it hurts an incredible amount but i could still work. Im a house framer for reference 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

you’re absolutely right 

it hurts an incredible amount but i could still work. Im a house framer for reference 

I've seen him on the bench a number of times this postseason, and he'll reach out and rest his arm out stretched on the board in front of him, and flex forward taking deep, labored breathes in. Essentially trying to decrease rib movement as much as possible. That's not even mentioning how much different he's looked on the ice.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

you’re absolutely right 

I would imagine getting hit in playoff hockey with a cracked rib is a lot different than even a manual labour job. No offense intended.

I had a cracked rib before, and it was BAD. Very limited for a couple of months, and could still feel pain a year and a half later if I applied any pressure to the area. And trust me when I tell you guys I'm no pansy when it comes to pain tolerance. Granted, the doctors could provide virtually no treatment for me; it just had to heal. I imagine that in a playoff situation, there are options like injections, etc.

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

I would imagine getting hit in playoff hockey with a cracked rib is a lot different than even a manual labour job. No offense intended.

I had a cracked rib before, and it was BAD. Very limited for a couple of months, and could still feel pain a year and a half later if I applied any pressure to the area. And trust me when I tell you guys I'm no pansy when it comes to pain tolerance. Granted, the doctors could provide virtually no treatment for me; it just had to heal. I imagine that in a playoff situation, there are options like injections, etc.

No no no

Im saying you absolutely can work though a cracked or severely bruised rib but it hurts a lot even for a carpenter. Him playing through that kind of injury is possible

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:00 PM, Johnny said:

No no no

Im saying you absolutely can work though a cracked or severely bruised rib but it hurts a lot even for a carpenter. Him playing through that kind of injury is possible

He should've been sat out if that is the case IMHO.   He's not 30 years old.  Canucks window isn't that short.  

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If Petterson injured himself way back mid-winter then why didn't the Canucks Medical staff and/or Tock-it tell him to get off the ice and heal himself up ???   That is short sighted on someones part whether the Canucks Staff or Petterson himself because this led to 4 months of uselessness which cost us in the end at the most important time of the year when he was most needed.    What were they thinking????

The Canucks medical staff has been truly awful for a long time now.  I remember seeing Garland take a clear head shot, look a little disoriented, and they didn't even look at him a couple of years ago.  Should have shut down Petey and let him rest instead of playing through it and making it worse.

• Cheers 1