2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

Grandmaster

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The Canucks medical staff has been truly awful for a long time now.  I remember seeing Garland take a clear head shot, look a little disoriented, and they didn't even look at him a couple of years ago.  Should have shut down Petey and let him rest instead of playing through it and making it worse.

Yes indeed.  That is a very short-sighted selfish move.  I hope he isn't ruined forever because of this and whoever allowed this to happen should be Fired!

Hronek " Says there was no injury. “If I know the answer I would probably do something different.”

Probably? 

I'm starting to understand how he was available from Detroit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Any update on the broken hearts of Canucks fans?

Currently being stitched up, should be ready to go by training camp.

Expecting a bit of a rough time during the draft, due to lack of stimulation, but long term prognosis is good.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Hronek " Says there was no injury. “If I know the answer I would probably do something different.”

Probably? 

I'm starting to understand how he was available from Detroit.

Guess that means we can keep him for cheap?lol

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He should've been sat out if that is the case IMHO.   He's not 30 years old.  Canucks window isn't that short.  

If the risk of further injury is low and he can play through the pain, why sit him? An injured Hughes was better than any depth piece we have.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Anybody who watched the canucks throughout the season would have seen the same thing as Dan Murphy; Hronek's Slap shot and one timer was missing since January. Similar to Cole, he isn't looking to blame a injury for his diminished play (especially as an RFA vs FA). 

Ditto Petersson; the guy wasn't right since December. I fully expect him to be back to form next fall....but actually better after this run and his toughness. People gotta remember; he played a fabulous 200' game on one knee. He could have easily packed it in and just pouted. Instead, he worked his ass off (through the pain) and contributed to the team the best he could. 

Besides Cole, playing a depth guy versus the hobbled better player would not have helped us win in the POs. The only real question is if resting any of them in the regular season would have resolved the issue, and allowed them to be better in the POs. If so, that was a poor decision by the team.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Guess that means we can keep him for cheap?lol

Hopefully cheaper. To trade him and go looking for a top pair RHD in FA is fools gold. People forget where we were before he arrived.

As for Tanev, love the guy, but why would we give him a multi year deal to replace Hronek. I love the guy, be he is not the answer in the top pair. Father time is undefeated, and nagging injuries dont disappear. Hope he wins a cup in 2024 with Dallas!

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Hopefully cheaper. To trade him and go looking for a top pair RHD in FA is fools gold. People forget where we were before he arrived.

As for Tanev, love the guy, but why would we give him a multi year deal to replace Hronek. I love the guy, be he is not the answer in the top pair. Father time is undefeated, and nagging injuries dont disappear. Hope he wins a cup in 2024 with Dallas!

The Tanev thing this day and age is crazy to me…. He’s now bottom 7th m(15%) in the league for gap closing. Meaning 85% of the league is better than him. 
 If he was 2014 Chris Tanev… you bet. But I don’t want to make the team significantly worse due to nostalgia…

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

55 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Anybody who watched the canucks throughout the season would have seen the same thing as Dan Murphy; Hronek's Slap shot and one timer was missing since January. Similar to Cole, he isn't looking to blame a injury for his diminished play (especially as an RFA vs FA). 

Ditto Petersson; the guy wasn't right since December. I fully expect him to be back to form next fall....but actually better after this run and his toughness. People gotta remember; he played a fabulous 200' game on one knee. He could have easily packed it in and just pouted. Instead, he worked his ass off (through the pain) and contributed to the team the best he could. 

Besides Cole, playing a depth guy versus the hobbled better player would not have helped us win in the POs. The only real question is if resting any of them in the regular season would have resolved the issue, and allowed them to be better in the POs. If so, that was a poor decision by the team.

He was ripping the opposition apart during his injury throughout the majority of January as well he had some very productive and game controlling weeks in February. If he was hurt in January he was playing through it just fine until as he has mentioned the pain just worsened and worsened. So say by the 3rd week of March when he stopped essentially producing multi point games or starting to go pointless and look off. Well the team had every indication he was playing through it up to 3 weeks to a month before the Playoffs started. At that point maybe the club could have worked in a week of rest or in collaboration it was determined to continue to play through the injury.

Either way, you can't rip the team because a player has an injury they are playing through. It is not solely the organization or the player's decision to continue to play or not. I think the organization gets ripped about the medical staff needlessly but its another form of scapegoat so not unsurprising.

Some will go on about Mikheyev, that was a collaboration, the player and his representation thanked the club for going out of their way to accommodate and help keep him game ready until he had to be shut down. Pearson, he had a complicated injury, recovery and required multiple attempts to get it resolved. Not an indictment on a member of the team's medical staff or of a Dr performing poorly.  A lot of injury and recovery relies on everything going right and there are always setbacks in real life.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

If the risk of further injury is low and he can play through the pain, why sit him? An injured Hughes was better than any depth piece we have.

A 100% Petey for 10 games is much better than a 50% Petey for 40 games.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

And from the coach/gm:

Tocchet mentioned tendonitis for Pettersson, which I know can be an issue when my Achilles acted up badly, but it's something you can work through that won't get worse. 

Edited by elvis15

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Seriously WTF?

Why is there this macho creed in the NHL to refuse to admit you are injured.  At least injured enough to sit?  If it was Pettersson that was holding it back from medical.

If medical did know, and surely they must of, even if Petey tried to hide it, then its appalling incompetence. 
"The longer it went, the more pain I felt"????  Shouldn't that be an indication that a player cannot simply work through it on the  ice?  That it needs some form of treatment and rest?

Now I'm worried that he may have damaged it more by playing on it if the pain has been increasing. How much will this delay or affect his Summer training now?

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Seriously WTF?

Why is there this macho creed in the NHL to refuse to admit you are injured.  At least injured enough to sit?  If it was Pettersson that was holding it back from medical.

If medical did know, and surely they must of, even if Petey tried to hide it, then its appalling incompetence. 
"The longer it went, the more pain I felt"????  Shouldn't that be an indication that a player cannot simply work through it on the  ice?  That it needs some form of treatment and rest?

Now I'm worried that he may have damaged it more by playing on it if the pain has been increasing. How much will this delay or affect his Summer training now?

Seems like the medical opinion (and I'm just speculating here) was that it couldn't be damaged significantly further even if he played on it, so they chose to run a 80% healthy EP40 rather than a 0% icetime EP40.

Of course, they'll probably look to give his knee some rubs and his leg some tugs to help soothe the tendonitis enough over the offseason to allow him to pick up training once he feels ready to give it 100%.  :classic_ninja:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If Petterson injured himself way back mid-winter then why didn't the Canucks Medical staff and/or Tock-it tell him to get off the ice and heal himself up ???   That is short sighted on someones part whether the Canucks Staff or Petterson himself because this led to 4 months of uselessness which cost us in the end at the most important time of the year when he was most needed.    What were they thinking????

This is actually an immensely important question. If other teams use the LTIR to rest up star players for the playoffs and free up cap space for rentals, why didn't the Canucks do just that this year? The injury seems like it was serious enough to warrant LTIR, and the recovery time would be discretionary enough to come back right for the playoffs, which is what many recent Cup winners have done, so why didn't the Canucks? Are only select teams allowed to use this exploit?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Seems like the medical opinion (and I'm just speculating here) was that it couldn't be damaged significantly further even if he played on it, so they chose to run a 80% healthy EP40 rather than a 0% icetime EP40.

Of course, they'll probably look to give his knee some rubs and his leg some tugs to help soothe the tendonitis enough over the offseason to allow him to pick up training once he feels ready to give it 100%.  :classic_ninja:

Petey wasn’t anywhere near 80%, maybe 50% and he said his injury was getting more painful. We didn’t need a reduced Petey after the all star break but we sure could have used 100% Petey in the p,ayoffs. I know I’m right because we’re not playing tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Petey wasn’t anywhere near 80%, maybe 50% and he said his injury was getting more painful. We didn’t need a reduced Petey after the all star break but we sure could have used 100% Petey in the p,ayoffs. I know I’m right because we’re not playing tonight.

Except it sounds like even with him sitting out after the ASG, there might not have been any guarantees that he'd be ready to play into the 2nd round of the playoffs, much less the 1st round.

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I seriously hope he shared this with the team, otherwise it looks REALLY bad that he changed his mind from "I want to wait to the offseason to sign my contract" to "Ouch, my knee hurts, I better cash in before the team finds out". Again, I seriously hope this was not the case.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

The Tanev thing this day and age is crazy to me…. He’s now bottom 7th m(15%) in the league for gap closing. Meaning 85% of the league is better than him. 
 If he was 2014 Chris Tanev… you bet. But I don’t want to make the team significantly worse due to nostalgia…

I didn't know there was a gap closing stat. Lol how does one quantify that reliably?

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He was ripping the opposition apart during his injury throughout the majority of January as well he had some very productive and game controlling weeks in February. If he was hurt in January he was playing through it just fine until as he has mentioned the pain just worsened and worsened. So say by the 3rd week of March when he stopped essentially producing multi point games or starting to go pointless and look off. Well the team had every indication he was playing through it up to 3 weeks to a month before the Playoffs started. At that point maybe the club could have worked in a week of rest or in collaboration it was determined to continue to play through the injury.

Either way, you can't rip the team because a player has an injury they are playing through. It is not solely the organization or the player's decision to continue to play or not. I think the organization gets ripped about the medical staff needlessly but its another form of scapegoat so not unsurprising.

Some will go on about Mikheyev, that was a collaboration, the player and his representation thanked the club for going out of their way to accommodate and help keep him game ready until he had to be shut down. Pearson, he had a complicated injury, recovery and required multiple attempts to get it resolved. Not an indictment on a member of the team's medical staff or of a Dr performing poorly.  A lot of injury and recovery relies on everything going right and there are always setbacks in real life.

Agree 100%. Was more pointing out that he should have been forced to sit in the regular season if it improved the injury before POs. The decision was probably both of theirs to continual playing, and the team didn’t think it would improve with short term rest

25 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I didn't know there was a gap closing stat. Lol how does one quantify that reliably?

probably the time it takes to intercept a forward

I was wondering about petey and will partially forgive him. His one timer was way off and not getting to the velocity it normally does so I attribute that to the knee. Nucks should of rested him for a few weeks. Fire the medical staff they are terrible and couldn't diagnose a cold. Petey still needs to dig in he does look timid, that Nashville goal where they knocked him over after in the celebration left alot to be desired.