2023-24 Canucks Injury Thread

Grandmaster

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

The guy's BS. He didn't even rest the last game of the season when a bunch of people did. And both the coach and himself was adamant in saying he wasn't injured during the playoffs. Fans can believe what they want to believe in. And I guess we'll all forget about it if Pettersson comes out blazing next season. 

Only reason I believe he was injured is that slower players were catching him on the back check. No way they can catch a healthy Petey and it's not like a pro forgets how to skate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikey said:

If that is the case he should of been on long term injury.  And was that the case that he signed that contract?  We could of picked up a rental before the march deadline and or sign a depth player.  What u all think?

There was no injury.  Fake news..

Even Tochett brushed it off like it was nothing.  

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

The guy's BS. He didn't even rest the last game of the season when a bunch of people did. And both the coach and himself was adamant in saying he wasn't injured during the playoffs. Fans can believe what they want to believe in. And I guess we'll all forget about it if Pettersson comes out blazing next season. 

Got that same vibe as well..I would have said the same if I played like shit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Inflammation of a tendon can take a very long time to calm down to the point of being asymptomatic. There plenty of modalities we use, like frictions, dry needling, and shockwave that can be incredibly effective at treating it, but the number one thing is rest. But shutting a guy down for minor tendinitis would be absurd. Like, unheard of absurd. The problem is, if it progresses it would take multiple weeks, maybe months do fully heal. It's likely they are banking on Petey being able to take 4-6 weeks off skating in the summer paired with treatment to help it calm down.

If it didn't progress till say March, then any clinician would know there wouldn't be enough time to rest it before playoffs. And shutting him down for a minor tendinitis in January or February would have been ridiculous. You'd be better off pushing through and helping muscle stability was enough to avoid it become acute. 

That pretty much covers it. When I had tendinitis in my Achilles I managed it with taping and it was fine. Once I got a really good CBD cream and had more chance to rest it, it got better quickly, but I wasn't doing any damage to it and it wasn't anything I considered not playing rugby for. That was for fun, not as my job.

Edited by elvis15

20 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That pretty much covers it. When I had tendinitis in my Achilles I managed it with taping and it was fine. Once I got a really good CBD cream and had more chance you rest it, it got better quickly, but I wasn't doing any damage to it and it wasn't anything I considered not playing rugby for. That was for fun, not as my job.

Very similar injuries. Both are flexion/extension high density tendons. Historically more difficult to treat then an epicondylitis (golfers/tennis elbow) or a bicipital tendinitis. Much thicker tendons than work with a much higher force.

Anyone dismissing this injury as poor management or even fake news is being absurd. It does sound like there could have been some missteps with how they managed this injury when it started, but that's purely hindsight. Like I said previously, shutting down someone at the first signs of a tendinitis would have been stupid, and shutting him down late season hoping the rest you had would be enough is a crap shoot. It's possible the rest could have been enough to decrease the inflammation, it's also possible that the type of rest needed could have just led weakness in the area and coming back for the playoffs even more difficult if the tendinitis didn't fully resolve.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Seems like the medical opinion (and I'm just speculating here) was that it couldn't be damaged significantly further even if he played on it, so they chose to run a 80% healthy EP40 rather than a 0% icetime EP40.

Of course, they'll probably look to give his knee some rubs and his leg some tugs to help soothe the tendonitis enough over the offseason to allow him to pick up training once he feels ready to give it 100%.  :classic_ninja:

Are you suggesting a "rub and tug" treatment would have helped Petey? I'm sure there are better and cheaper places for it in Vancouver than trained medical professionals 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Hronek for Alex Tuch (4.75)

Ilya Milky (4.75) + Klimovich+ woo to CHI for 2024 VAN 2nd no retention 

CAP SPACE = 23.778

Guentzel 7.75 x 7

Bluegger 1.75 x 3 yrs

Silovs 1.75

Tanev 4.00 x 3 yrs

Myers 2.5x 3 yrs

Zads 5.00 x 5 yrs

= 22.75

Cole .85 x 3 yrs 

=  0.178 K  in cap space

Guentzel Petey Tuch  (Probably top line in hockey)

Hoglander Miller Brock

Suter Blueger Garland

Podkolzin Aman PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Cole

Silovs

Demko

trade one of the goalies after 2024-2025 season end 

I can guarantee Klimovich will not be traded this offseason, especially not for a 2nd round pick.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, snowman955 said:

On a  different look why did EP40 engage in the Allstar event. If his injury was earlier.

All we know is it started Jan. It's highly likely it was just the first couple weeks of patellar tendonitis. Sitting out games would be unheard of, and the All-Star game already is fine happy when people try to sit out because they just don't want to go. I feel like people criticizing how things played out are those who aren't really sure how tendinosis or tendonitis progresses. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Hronek and Podkolzin for Alex Tuch

28, 2 yrs left at 4.75 he is too old for BUFF's window

He can replace Joshua but move up to first line.

damn that is a big overpay. Hronek may not be someone I want to sign for 8 million for 8 years, but common he is still a solid NHL defender that can play top 4 and Podz is a rookie with upside. 

EP refused to rest or sit out so I call the injury thing bogus. He was playing like crap the end of the season, we all thought it was the wrist or something. 

I've got a bum knee and if I have to strain it at work I report it. (In order to make a rehab claim later if I need it.)

In March after doing a 3 month job, my knee barely held out, a lot of strenuous activity. There were a few days I shut myself down early, not because I injured it, but because I could feel the soreness and knew my knee NEEDED the rest. When I finished that job my knee was sore af, and I could feel the swelling and over use. 

I've got different knee contraptions but I ended up just using a tensor wrap to support it. Plus I'm the oldest guy on site and nobody wanted to hear me talk about my bum knee anyways, and it was funny looking at all those kids with all their dam healthy knees running around free as can be. Little bastards.

But now if it ever really really hurts I know I can get covered for some therapy because I reported it.

Petie should probably get his scoped. I would but can't afford that. Elective surgery? Ah who knows lol. Ice and rest is all I'm using.

ps. When are they going to make Tommy John surgery for the knee.

pss if it is his knee the team should take care of it and find out about it before the contract kicks in.

Pavel Bure, Orr, knees can take out the best of them.

• Like 1

Seems kinda stupid that he wasn’t scratched say at the trade deadline with a Las Vegas LTIR knee injury… 

or that he was just rested going into the postseason 

If the injury was lingering from January. 

Ep was a disappointment in the postseason and really since resigning. 

17 hours ago, mikey said:

If that is the case he should of been on long term injury.  And was that the case that he signed that contract?  We could of picked up a rental before the march deadline and or sign a depth player.  What u all think?

It wasn't the case. 

My guess is the team knew nothing about this because it isn't true. Even tocc said more than once that Petey is not injured. 

When a player ends up being injured at the end of the season the team usually releases a statement and what not. Petey just causally drops this bomb.

Sorry, I get a lot of people are flaming me for not buying in, but it's just too convenient of an excuse that doesn't add up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

It wasn't the case. 

My guess is the team knew nothing about this because it isn't true. Even tocc said more than once that Petey is not injured. 

When a player ends up being injured at the end of the season the team usually releases a statement and what not. Petey just causally drops this bomb.

Sorry, I get a lot of people are flaming me for not buying in, but it's just too convenient of an excuse that doesn't add up.

My guess (and that's all it is - just like most of the EP related posts in this thread) is that Toc has never had this kind of tendonitis and so is dismissively minimizing it because he's had something similar that didn't impact him as much as Petey's has impacted him.

Only reason I suspect this is because I have severe tendonopathy of the elbow at the insertion point of the bicep and it has literally fucked my upper body fitness pursuits for the past year and half plus. Granted, I'm in my late 50's so healing / recovery are slower but I can 100% tell you that, at it's peak pain point, I couldn't even take a jug of milk out of the fridge without using my left hand to support the bottom of the jug. And that was about 3-4 months after first symptoms and lasted for about 3 months before the benefits of complete rest started to kick in and the pain began to very slowly subside.

So, as much as I trust, value and respect Toc (I started his Jack Adams congrats thread ffs), I say he's full of shit and it's a dick move to minimize a team member's injury publicly or privately unless you've been through it yourself. Not to mention the optics of the entire thing casts the entire management and Petey in a negative light as not being on the same page and putting out a mixed message. Not cool

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

Injury or I miss Kuzmenko syndrome? Kuzmenko traded at the end of January too. That might have had a psychological impact on Petey. Losing a line mate that he was so consistent with or had chemistry with. I know at that point they weren’t producing like last year but still, going from Kuzmenko an arguable top 6 offensive talent to Mikheyev is a drop off.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:57 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

Maybe we'll find out shortly once injury reports start coming out, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's rib for Hughes. Just looks so similar to players I've worked with in the past with cracked ribs. Doesn't technically effect movement, just hurts like sin every time you do anything.

Collarbone? Just a guess, I hip checked a Finn player once playing in Israel (in Metula, which is currently being rocketed by Hezbollah) and only our hips made contact and it broke his collarbone. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 2:55 AM, JayDangles said:

Because it's most likely B.S

A magic bullet that takes all the heat off of Petey. Just tweet out that you had a sore knee and everyone will buy it 100%.

If you think Petey would be in on a lie like that, think twice. 
If the team force him to lie like that he wants out because he has higher standards. 
Some people can lie without hesitation. Some can’t lie even if you force them. 

Edited by LillStrimma

8 hours ago, JayDangles said:

It wasn't the case. 

Yeah something doesn't add up. Pettersson rarely took maintenance days during the season, and in fact Tocchet publicly said Pettersson needed to practice harder. 

Pettersson played Game 82 - over 18mins, the most of any forward. 

Tocchet called his play sporadic during the season, and in the playoffs included him in a group of 5-6 players that needed to get going.

Tocchet even said Pettersson needed to move his feet more. Knowing that your player had a bum knee, would you publicly say that he needed to practice harder and move his feet more?

If you accept the premise that Tocchet isn't purposely trying to make Pettersson despise him, I think one of the only conclusions you can draw is that the injury (if he had one) wasn't overly debilitating. I find it difficult to arrive at any other conclusion.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Yeah something doesn't add up. Pettersson rarely took maintenance days during the season, and in fact Tocchet publicly said Pettersson needed to practice harder. 

Pettersson played Game 82 - over 18mins, the most of any forward. 

Tocchet called his play sporadic during the season, and in the playoffs included him in a group of 5-6 players that needed to get going.

Tocchet even said Pettersson needed to move his feet more. Knowing that your player had a bum knee, would you publicly say that he needed to practice harder and move his feet more?

If you accept the premise that Tocchet isn't purposely trying to make Pettersson despise him, I think one of the only conclusions you can draw is that the injury (if he had one) wasn't overly debilitating. I find it difficult to arrive at any other conclusion.

Tocchet needed Petey to play because the other team had to focus on him.

Petey often had two players on his back meaning the other players on his line usually get it easier. Plus that they have to put good defensive players against him. 

So don’t take everything Tocchet say as a law or fact. He had to downplay any injurie. 
Saying that Petey needs to work harder is a signal to the other team that Petey is good to go. Get it? 

Edited by LillStrimma

Allvin: I'm sure Pettersson wasn't happy with his performance after the All Star break.

Media and people here in February March: he's doing just fine.

Media and people here now: he was injured.

I'd argue that, outside of the first 10 games and the 4 games in January, his play before the All Star break was uneven at best. 

To all those who call this cherry-picking - I present the 6pts in 13 playoff games, where a better 13 game stretch could very well have meant the Canucks would still be playing right now. Consistency matters.

11 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Allvin: I'm sure Pettersson wasn't happy with his performance after the All Star break.

Media and people here in February March: he's doing just fine.

Media and people here now: he was injured.

I'd argue that, outside of the first 10 games and the 4 games in January, his play before the All Star break was uneven at best. 

To all those who call this cherry-picking - I present the 6pts in 13 playoff games, where a better 13 game stretch could very well have meant the Canucks would still be playing right now. Consistency matters.

I'm a little surprised that you came back.