[Hiring] Manny Malhotra as Abbotsford Canucks Head Coach

Visp

Now that the news of Colliton not coming back are official, I can say it - Canucks management wasn't happy about player development in Abby. Decision on Colliton was made up top. It wasn't Colliton not signing the offered extension, it's the other way around.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Pretty much everyone is positive about hiring Manny, including me. He does not have much of a background with JR and PA, so this is a bit of a departure for them. But obviously he does have a history with a lot of people in the organization, including the Sedins. I wonder if they played a role in the hiring process.

Colliton did a good job and I was sorry that he did not re-sign. I guess the issue was he wanted to explore NHL head coaching opportunities, but maybe there was more going on.

I am very happy with the Malhotra appointment. I don't think Manny has ever been a head coach before so he will have a lot to learn but he has a reputation for being smart and knowledgeable, so he should adapt quickly. And was always well-respected and well-liked.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Literally every time we lose a key face off, I complain loudly to whomever I’m watching with that we should hire Manny Malhotra. Hope he will have as big an impact in Abbotsford as he did on the team when he was here. So happy to have him back!

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hot damn this is cool. What happened to Colliton?

Probably taking an nhl associate coaching job or getting hired as shraks hc. We will know within the month. 

Edited by 24K

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf will make a couple Empties today to celebrate the return of a great Canuck. Welcome home Manny! 

It is amazing and a testament to him as a person how endeared he is considering it was 3 short years as a player and a bit more behind the bench.
Glad he is back, consummate pro and class act. Great example for the players.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Now that the news of Colliton not coming back are official, I can say it - Canucks management wasn't happy about player development in Abby. Decision on Colliton was made up top. It wasn't Colliton not signing the offered extension, it's the other way around.

Source?

As far as I knew Colliton is highly regarded and was doing a great job in Abby.  He's a great interview and honestly, being well spoken and able to communicate well is way up the list of skills that a good coach should have.  I'd really like to know the story if anybody has a credible source.

Taking nothing from Malhotra.  He's first class as well.  

This is rather mysterious.

Edit:  According to Squire Barnes, Colliton couldn't come to terms with the Canucks on his new contract.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Vintage 1