[Signing] Canucks ink D Sawyer Mynio to ELC

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I wasn’t aware of that so thanks.

Speaking of knowledge on all things contractual does anyone know if @mll has made their way over to this forum?

I messaged him on the old forum asking the same thing. No response yet. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But the fact is this is a third round pick who hasn’t really shown much. There’s a reason why you don’t typically see these players sign ELC’s so soon.

Why would we be worrying about his ELC being extended now? He’s a long ways from being an NHLer. Maybe if they thought he was gonna be in the NHL in a few years. But I’m not seeing evidence of that yet. 

Only thing I can think of is they liked his camp a lot and wanted to reward him? A show of confidence? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Odd. said:

His junior numbers as a 5th defenseman are very good. Keep in mind he played behind a stacked Seattle team that had Korchinski as well as 3-4 year veterans such as Prokop, Hanzel, Allan who played more minutes than him. He didn’t get much PP opportunity and scored most of his points 5 on 5 while being one of the teams best shutdown defenseman in the playoffs.

It’s quite possible he scores 60 pts next year. 

Yes.  In other words, they are doing this because they think they have found a true true diamond in the rough.  Time will tell how good thieir intel really was on this player.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No idea, it’s a confusing move to me.

They must be really high on him because this definitely isn’t the norm.

You keep saying that but they did the same thing with Silovs and i remember a lot of people were very upset over it on the CDC too. 

I think they go into every prospect camp with the understanding that there will be one ELC given out. It's a carrot, it creates incentive and healthy competition, doesn't hurt the club in any way because of the slide clause.

It's what good clubs do.

From what I've read, Mynio is supposed to be a Tanev like dman. We will need dmen that can skate well and actually play defense. Getting him signed early likely means management saw something they like and felt it was worth giving him his signing bonus earlier for his continued development.

5 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

From what I've read, Mynio is supposed to be a Tanev like dman. We will need dmen that can skate well and actually play defense. Getting him signed early likely means management saw something they like and felt it was worth giving him his signing bonus earlier for his continued development.

I think he’s got more offensive upside than that.

Allvin should be signing draft picks who they will lose the rights to in a year or two.