[Speculation] Canucks expected to make strong push to keep Lindholm

Lindholm brings a lot to the lineup, but it'll be a question of how much he's after and where he slots in the lineup. The latter will change throughout the year, but the Canucks will see him as more of a regular on one spot or another. 

The obvious is him anchoring the third line, in which case he might be a little expensive. We can keep Blueger to fill that roll for cheaper, or use Suter who has also done well there. If we use Lindholm as that for the occasional matchup role, that's another story. 

The other role he's played has been with Pettersson as a top six center. His production will have to stay consistent to do so - not expecting his big season in Calgary numbers, but also not the dry spell he hit even with the minor injury. That means Pettersson becomes the top six winger he really has needed rather than pursuing Necas.

Either way, if we re-sign him we probably don't re-sign Blueger unless it's for 4th line costs. Suter is the cover depending where Lindholm slots, with Aman and others as depth.

For me, it'll depend on cost if he makes sense or not. He makes the team stronger, but there are others to keep and other holes to fill as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The report is also the Canucks made him an offer and he refused. Safe to say the reports about his ask aren't just a complete ass pull. Honestly, his play was so bad in the last 50 games of the season 6.5mil feels high. I'd be hesitant to give him 7mil at this point. Let alone anything higher. I do hope management can get him closer to 6.5mil.  Problem is he's likely going to want a long term deal for lots of money cause it's his last real chance at it. But he's overplaying his hand and may end up as the next Klingberg.

Reports also stated the Canucks offered Pettersson 12m and he refused. So...

6.5m on Hronek be ideal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

6.5m on Hronek be ideal.

what if management bridged his deal. 6.1M over the next 3 years, to prove that: 

1. You can play defensively well 

2. You can anchor your own pair 

3. You continue to produce offensively from the back end 

If he does all that, then he's going to be a valued commodity, and if he asks for the moon after that, depending on our cap situation at that time (OEL cap at its highest would be over right? back to 2M for the rest of the time), we may have enough to afford him, and if not, then time to trade him (or even during his 3 year bridge deal), for another RHD coming back our way. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:54 PM, wai_lai416 said:

he's likely not signing anything less than a 6-8 year deal.. his last chance for big contract and he signs a 3 year deal to take him to 32?

Absolutely the right call.

Reportedly, Lindholm turned down an offer from Calgary with an AAV exceeding 8 million per year for 8 years. Rumours are that he wanted at least 9 x 8. Obviously his value fell this year. If he played out the season in Calgary his value would have probably dropped to an AAV of maybe 6.5 for 7 years in free agency, maybe less. Moving to Vancouver probably raised his AAV by about a million, as I think he gets about  7.5 x 7 years. He can probably thank Vancouver for at least an extra 7 million in total compensation.

As for the Canucks, my guess is that they offer something close to 7.5 but he won't bite and tries the open market where he probably gets a bit more. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely the right call.

Reportedly, Lindholm turned down an offer from Calgary with an AAV exceeding 8 million per year for 8 years. Rumours are that he wanted at least 9 x 8. Obviously his value fell this year. If he played out the season in Calgary his value would have probably dropped to an AAV of maybe 6.5 for 7 years in free agency. Moving to Vancouver probably raised his AAV by at least a million, as I think he gets at least 7.5 x 7 years. He can probably thank Vancouver for at least an extra 7 million in total compensation.

As for the Canucks, my guess is that they offer 7.5 but he won't bite and tries the open market where he probably gets a bit more. 

Yup. Just another Fat Wallet chaser. 

20 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

6.5m on Hronek be ideal.

Almost like his price went down when his play dried up. The 12mil report was early in the year when Miller, Huggy, and Petey were top 10 in scoring. But Petey's play went south in the 2nd half and there were rumors of a Carolina trade involving him. 11.6mil and 12mil aren't far off from each other anyway. So that doesn't change the fact he likely turned down a 12mil offer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Necas scored 71 points two years ago and regressed to 53 points.  I doubt anyone is going to pay him $8 million...

For a 25 year old, who can play both wing and C and is  defensively responsible?  I'll bet he's close

If the Canucks plan to keep Petey as a C, then it doesn't make sense to keep Lindholm. He would be too expensive for a #3C. 

Options, I guess:

1. Keep Lindholm and move Petey to wing

2. Keep Lindholm and trade Petey

3. Forget about Lindholm and keep Petey at C 

I wonder what they're thinking.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

If the Canucks plan to keep Petey as a C, then it doesn't make sense to keep Lindholm. He would be too expensive for a #3C. 

Options, I guess:

1. Keep Lindholm and move Petey to wing

2. Keep Lindholm and trade Petey

3. Forget about Lindholm and keep Petey at C 

I wonder what they're thinking.

I think the most likely scenario would be to have Petey and Lindholm on the top line but yeah I agree, keeping Lindholm gives us tons of options. 

Posted (edited)

What's this about Necas?  I thought he was a Hurricane?

Nevermind, I see the other thread...but just because he "might" be available, doesn't mean he will wind up here.

Edited by Heretic

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

What's this about Necas?  I thought he was a Hurricane?

He is, but the Canes just changed GMs and have only Burns (39 years old) as a top four  right shot D. So there are Hronek for Necas +++ rumours. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

For a 25 year old, who can play both wing and C and is  defensively responsible?  I'll bet he's close

He doesn’t kill penalties. So not sure how defensively responsible he is. Usually players who are defensively responsible are the ones that kill penalties. 

He’s also terrible at faceoffs. So not sure he is a long term solution at centre. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

what if management bridged his deal. 6.1M over the next 3 years, to prove that: 

1. You can play defensively well 

2. You can anchor your own pair 

3. You continue to produce offensively from the back end 

If he does all that, then he's going to be a valued commodity, and if he asks for the moon after that, depending on our cap situation at that time (OEL cap at its highest would be over right? back to 2M for the rest of the time), we may have enough to afford him, and if not, then time to trade him (or even during his 3 year bridge deal), for another RHD coming back our way. 

Hronek is a year away from UFA. The idea of a cheap bridge deal is gone, that's what his current contract was.

He either signs a top dollar deal this summer or he goes to arbitration, takes a 7+ million 1 year deal and becomes a UFA next summer. Either way he gets 7+ million.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Hronek is a year away from UFA. The idea of a cheap bridge deal is gone, that's what his current contract was.

He either signs a top dollar deal this summer or he goes to arbitration, takes a 7+ million 1 year deal and becomes a UFA next summer. Either way he gets 7+ million.

Agreed. IMO he's the most likely to be moved. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He doesn’t kill penalties. So not sure how defensively responsible he is. Usually players who are defensively responsible are the ones that kill penalties. 

He’s also terrible at faceoffs. So not sure he is a long term solution at centre

Hes 48% on faceoffs in his career and over 51% for the last three years........I can live with that kind of terrible.

He doesn't kill penalties much, but not a lot of young players do.  With some coaching, he'd be fine.......pk is a learned skill, it just takes time and coaching.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kotkaje01.html

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think we start with the hope to sign everyone. of course Lindholm making 8m+ somewhere is a possibility. If thats the case we pivot. 

Exactly, they can ask all the want. At the end of the day if they choose money over a good long term fit and years of playoff hockey. They can go 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hes 48% on faceoffs in his career and over 51% for the last three years........I can live with that kind of terrible.

He doesn't kill penalties much, but not a lot of young players do.  With some coaching, he'd be fine.......pk is a learned skill, it just takes time and coaching.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kotkaje01.html

I thought we were talking about Martin Necas?  Why are you bringing up KK?  Are we in trade talks for him? Last I heard he was gonna get bought out. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I thought we were talking about Martin Necas?  Why are you bringing up KK?  Are we in trade talks for him?  Last I heard he was gonna get bought out. 

Friedman said he "THOUGHT" they will buy him out... then a day later he reported that he heard they wouldn't from someone else.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I thought we were talking about Martin Necas?  Why are you bringing up KK?  Are we in trade talks for him? Last I heard he was gonna get bought out. 

EF says the Canes won't buy him out and really like him, and so do the Canucks.  The rest is just putting 2 and 2 together........speculation and discussion

I said I'd like to see Hronek for JK and a first........good, young, cost controlled player with lots of room to grow still and a legit 3C who might be able to takeover 2C when Miller starts his decline

Edited by stawns

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

EF says the Canes won't buy him out and really like him, and so do the Canucks.  The rest is just putting 2 and 2 together........speculation and discussion

I said I'd like to see Hronek for JK and a first........good, young, cost controlled player with lots of room to grow still and a legit 3C who might be able to takeover 2C when Miller starts his decline

I’m pretty sure the guy the Canucks like is Martin Necas. I haven’t heard of any rumours about KK to Vancouver. 

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure the guy the Canucks like is Martin Necas. I haven’t heard of any rumours about KK to Vancouver. 

Elliott Friedman first talked about the Canucks interest in JK and then later about Necas.  

• Cheers 1