[Speculation] Canucks expected to make strong push to keep Lindholm

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we don't keep Lindholm we need to acquire a good PKing 3C for around 3-4M but I'd rather give Lindholm 7M, gives us a lot of top 6 flexibility. Move other pieces around to keep him. 

Exactly! If another team offers Lindy 8 x 7 we can add the extra season and bring the yearly cap allocation down to 7 per. He gets the same total dollars and we get a big right shot centre who can play pretty much any role from the C spot. 
Petey or Miller can play wing. Then we have a great top six without having to bring in a winger via trade. 

Miller Boeser

Lindy Petey 

plug in wingers like Mik, Hogs, Pods or whomever. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But how? Teams aren't in a rush to give those guys up. Except maybe Carolina if they give up on JK.

Me too. 

Mik for JK must be one of PA’s contingency plans if he can’t get Lindy. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik for JK must be one of PA’s contingency plans if he can’t get Lindy. 

We should know soon, I suspect JR PA have made their best offer by now and are waiting for a response.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We should know soon, I suspect JR PA have made their best offer by now and are waiting for a response.

I wonder what the “drop dead” date is when PA does pull his offers to current guys and starts making trades? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder what the “drop dead” date is when PA does pull his offers to current guys and starts making trades? 

Have to think that they are already laying the groundwork on that.

I think you are right on Garland, with that and a Mik buyout we can afford Guentzel or Necas, or very close to it.

If we take someone to arbitration, we get that later buyout window too, so maybe that's the cap compliance plan with Mik. Linus Karlsson has arbitration rights this year, eg.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

In a sense we need Lindholm and another top 6 winger.

Miller-Boeser

Lindholm-Petterson 

Those 4 I consider our only bonafide top 6 guys. Hoglander COULD be the 5th one with his 20+ goals this year but he didn’t show the consistency down the stretch. If the cap was right we should be keeping Lindholm and adding another top 6 winger. 

Joshua-Suter-Garland would make a great 3rd line. Suter should not be in our top 6 next year if we want to take an actual step forward. 

Lindholm is a very good player but the AAV plus his age is more of the issue for me. Will either be a high AAV or long term, neither would be a good idea in my opinion (given his offensive decline). 

I also think EP needs to become their number one center if the Canucks are going to succeed. Hoping for a big summer of training from him.

If they sign lindholm

he probably plays on 1 st pk 

maybe first pp

snd probsbly spends most of the season playing 18 min a night 

say for argument sake we squire Necas in a Hronek trade 

top 6 looks like 

Petey Lindy Necas

Hoglander Miller Brock 

those would be your “top 6” forwards 

I would still try to get Bluegger on a long term low AAV deal 

13 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

Have you seen Tanev in Dallas? If we had Tanev with the rest of our core, wed likely be playing Dallas in the conference finals as opposed to Edmonton. He is one old timer that I would give my testicle to have on the team. 

I love Tanev but is he going to be good in 2 or 3 years?  I’m still thinking of a longer approach. Competing for a cup for the next 5 plus years 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Horvat's career high is 38 goals.

Lindholm's career high is 42 goals.

Horvat's faceoff percent last season was 53.9% (54% career)

Lindholm's  faceoff percentage last year was 56.4%. (53.5 career)

You are really splitting hairs in those departments. Lindy is definitely a better defensive player I'll give you that.

Horvat is a better goal scorer. 42 goals for Lindholm was an anomaly. That line had crazy chemistry in Calgary. Still Horvat is gone and Lindholm is OUR guy, hopefully 

Edited by Devron

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Horvat is a better goal scorer. 42 goals for Lindholm was an anomaly. That line had crazy chemistry in Calgary. Still Horvat is gone and Lindholm is OUR guy, hopefully 

Lindy is a right shot Selky level centre. If we can find a way to keep him that would be great. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

the only thing to “read into” with this post from his wife,

is that they are heading home to Sweden to oversee the house they are building there during this Summer.… a summer of uncertainty for EL.

What you can read, is that his wife very much enjoyed her time in Vancouver.

I hope he is back .

30CB59FB-C9E1-4AE5-94AF-391EF1E6D600.thumb.jpeg.fb581b4423bdd4b43ed8edefebdf7691.jpeg

41803086-56EB-44C1-86BC-9ECD69C367A8.thumb.png.e23ec9580841fc4ce7a6d5d4e3ad7dc3.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

the only thing to “read into” with this post from his wife,

is that they are heading home to Sweden to oversee the house they are building there during this Summer.… a summer of uncertainty for EL.

What you can read, is that his wife very much enjoyed her time in Vancouver.

I hope he is back .

30CB59FB-C9E1-4AE5-94AF-391EF1E6D600.thumb.jpeg.fb581b4423bdd4b43ed8edefebdf7691.jpeg

41803086-56EB-44C1-86BC-9ECD69C367A8.thumb.png.e23ec9580841fc4ce7a6d5d4e3ad7dc3.png

Lindholm seems dead set on testing UFA.  

Allvin will give him a strong offer, probably 5 years in the mid-7s, and Lindholm will see what he can get on the market.  

A team like Boston will probably throw a little more around 8 x 7  years or so. 

Then the decision is up to him.  He knows what Vancouver is all about (the highs and the lows) plus Tocchet and the locker room.

I’d say, maybe a 30% chance he’s back.  Totally pulling that out of my butt.  It’s not impossible, but it’s improbable IMO.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Allvin will give him a strong offer, probably 5 years in the mid-7s, and Lindholm will see what he can get on the market.  

Then the decision is up to him.  He knows what Vancouver is all about (the highs and the lows) plus Tocchet and the locker room.

I’d say, maybe a 30% chance he’s back.  Totally pulling that out of my butt.  It’s not impossible, but it’s improbable IMO.

Yep it does seem unlikely to me too, I think we would have heard rumbling by now of discussions at least.

Ah well, fun while it lasted. 😆

I wonder what the pivot will be? 

• Cheers 1

If Lindholm walks, I actually don’t mind a bottom 6 with Bleuger and Suter as 3C and 4C - or Bleuger as 3C so long as we retain Joshua.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Toffoli? (or ideally someone a little younger)

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Podkolzin-4C-Mikheyev

PDG

That could be a cheap, effective, versatile lineup. If Mikheyev rebounds (or we find a way to offload him) it could be even better - and that’s probably the key - in addition to using Lindhom’s money to find a winger for Petey - to improving. 

Having Hoglander,  Suter and Podkolzin on cheap deals next year really helps - and Raty and Lekkerimaki could be ready to step in later in the season or next year.

Can’t see Bleuger breaking the bank.  I almost think we have more flexibility if we let Lindholm walk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yep it does seem unlikely to me too, I think we would have heard rumbling by now of discussions at least.

Ah well, fun while it lasted. 😆

I wonder what the pivot will be? 

I don’t know what’s available, but a bottom 6 RHC who can kill penalties would be ideal. Doesn’t need to be a former 40 goal scorer, etc. Bleuger with Garland and Joshua gives pretty good secondary offence IF Petey’s line is producing properly. To me, that’s the biggest priority besides keeping the size on the back end.

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Im thinking , and hoping the opposite..

If we can offer a longer term,  I think he’s here.

wife , kids, building a home abroad .. 

security is key these days.

Don’t get me wrong , we might offer a little less per year, or have it structured to taper out less in latter years.

This player fits our culture and environment.

Something I think has resonated with his Wife.

also read this week that other team mates were asking him to stay..  that is impressive and powerful, says a lot about this player.

Good for him to assess the market,.  But he will be assessing the environment and home cities of the other Offers as well.

Sign Zadorov first, and then get him to throw Lindholm in his Duffle 😉 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I don’t know what’s available, but a bottom 6 RHC who can kill penalties would be ideal. Doesn’t need to be a former 40 goal scorer, etc. Bleuger with Garland and Joshua gives pretty good secondary offence IF Petey’s line is producing properly. To me, that’s the biggest priority besides keeping the size on the back end.

Unfortunately it's a brutal year for ufa C's. After Lindy it's really thin.

Wouldn't mind someone like Roslovic or ideally Wenneberg for 3C at around 4M if Lindholm walks. Monahan and Jost out there too. There's lots of options - if we do that then expect Allvin to go after a top 6 winger to help Petey and flip or buyout Mikheyev. You know Necas and Petey could be an interesting duo.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Unfortunately it's a brutal year for ufa C's. After Lindy it's really thin.

Stephenson if no Lindy please 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Stephenson if no Lindy please 

If we keep Lindy then there’s no need to give up assets for a winger. Petey or Miller can move to wing. It just makes so much sense for us to keep Lindy. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:27 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

He doesn’t kill penalties. So not sure how defensively responsible he is. Usually players who are defensively responsible are the ones that kill penalties. 

He’s also terrible at faceoffs. So not sure he is a long term solution at centre. 

He didn't kill penalties this year but he has in the past. Averaged 1:18/game on the PK in 2021-22. Carolina has a ton of defensively responsible players though so him not playing a ton of PK as a young player doesn't mean he isn't responsible. Also no one is saying he's Selke level, just responsible. But the main reason Necas didn't really PK this year is because Jarvis took his spot. It's also why Necas is available, Jarvis is slightly better defensively and at least equal offensively.

Yes, Necas is definitely more of a winger than a center at the NHL level. It's also not like he doesn't show up when it matters, he had 4 goals and 9 points in 11 games with Carolina this playoffs and also just had 7 points in 5 games at the World Championships helping Czechia to gold.

Regarding Lindholm, I would love to keep the guy. However, I definitely don't agree with those suggesting an 8 year contract. He's 29, not 25, and we don't need to start having a bunch of players signed to big contracts in into their late 30s. Personally I wouldn't go beyond a 6 year offer. Lindholm is an incredible luxury to have on this team, but he isn't a need. We've seen that Blueger is perfectly capable of filling the 3C role and if not him there are still a number of cheaper options than Lindholm. It would be a different story if he showed that he could be a good linemate for Petey but that's still an unknown. 

I don't think I'm willing to over $7Mx6 even with his strong playoffs. If he wants more term or more money I'd rather spend that money elsewhere on the roster.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If we keep Lindy then there’s no need to give up assets for a winger. Petey or Miller can move to wing. It just makes so much sense for us to keep Lindy. 

Pettersson    Lindholm   Lekkerimäki

I prefer Petey at centre and playing with a power forward but this could work too. Problem is Höglander is now out of the equation. 

We most likely need to use Höglander as a sweetener to move out Mikheyev though so he may be gone this summer. 

• ThereItIs 1