[Rumour] Canucks have some interest in Kotkaniemi as per Friedman

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman indicated on Friday’s edition of 32 Thoughts – The Podcast that the Carolina Hurricanes are unlikely to buy out struggling forward Jesperi Kotkaniemi.
The 23-year-old centre managed 12 goals and 27 points in 79 games with the Hurricanes during the regular season before being held to just one point in 11 playoff contests. Even so, a trade appears more likely than a buyout for the former No. 3 overall pick.
If Kotkaniemi does get moved this summer, the Canucks could be one of the teams interested in taking a flier on him, as Friedman suggested on Friday.
“I had someone who bet me a steak dinner, he heard us talking about Kotkaniemi and a buyout, and he said to me, ‘Elliotte, I will bet you a delicious steak dinner that Kotkaniemi does not get bought out,'” Friedman said. “The Hurricanes, as an organization, like him, and he said, ‘You know what, other organizations do, too,’ and the Canucks might be one of them.”
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I would do Kotkaniemi for Mikeyev straight up as a change of scenery hockey trade. I doubt carolina would do that though.

If we think Mik is the problem,wait till you see Kotkaniemi

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

If we think Mik is the problem,wait till you see Kotkaniemi

At least Kotkaniemi is only 23yo so there's room to improve.  Mikheyev is 29yo...

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

At least Kotkaniemi is only 23yo so there's room to improve.  Mikheyev is 29yo...

also JK will not be miscast, we know he is bottom 6

he still has potential 

he also has 59 playoff games under his belt which is incredible for someone his age... so does necas

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd be in on kotkaniemi if all it took was Mik. Carolina may even eat some of his cap. He's a young player with potential. The downside is he's locked in longterm with a 4.82 mil caphit and hasn't played up to it. The upside is he's 23 years old and is locked into 4.82 cap hit which he could easily surpass in value.  Risky move but worth it in my opinion.

Edited by fuzzy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Visp said:

“I had someone who bet me a steak dinner, he heard us talking about Kotkaniemi and a buyout, and he said to me, ‘Elliotte, I will bet you a delicious steak dinner that Kotkaniemi does not get bought out,'” Friedman said. “The Hurricanes, as an organization, like him, and he said, ‘You know what, other organizations do, too,’ and the Canucks might be one of them.”

Awesome, so we're going to take speculation of interest as having "some interest".

What's next?  Dick Tocch likes drinking water in press conferences so it's now confirmed that he has a drinking problem?  :picard:

• Haha 1

My worry with kotka is can he be a stud pker?

ans then with Necas I really like him and the idea of him with petey is interesting to me.

ny biggest issue is we don’t have a top 9 RHC or rhc pk C and then we still don’t have that elite LH bumper forward 

Hronek + Mikheyev

Necas + Kotkaniemi + pick or rights to Pesce

That's really about it.  No significant interest in JK outside of bottom 6 role playing C and even then he's questionable.  But for a chance at Pesce AND Necas...worth the risk

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

With hands of stone, he's a career 3rd liners they expected to make a jump to top six. The Petey Kuz Mik magic is dead Mik isn't gonna be that guy again. Time to find new wingers for Petey. Kot could still turn it around and since they're close to buying him out, maybe they retain or take a bad contract back. Could be a wild card to click with Petey! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

With hands of stone, he's a career 3rd liners they expected to make a jump to top six. The Petey Kuz Mik magic is dead Mik isn't gonna be that guy again. Time to find new wingers for Petey. Kot could still turn it around and since they're close to buying him out, maybe they retain or take a bad contract back. Could be a wild card to click with Petey! 

Kotkaniemi is a centre. If we traded Mik for him it would be because we couldn’t extend Lindholm and JK was going to play 3C. IMHAO we aren’t interested in JK. He’s not a top six player. 

Kotkaniemi is way under performing for some reason.  He's a former 3rd OA pick from 2018 by Montreal and the Habs had him play 79 games in 2018-19.

In 2021, right after his ELC, Carolina offer sheeted him.  In 2021-22 he was on a 1 year $6.1M contract.  He went 12-17-29 in 66 games then they gave him an 8 year term at $4.8M  AAV.  

He's 23 years old (24 in July) and has played 6 full seasons in the NHL already.  398 games and 161 points + 69 playoff games.  He is what he is, a 3C with 6 years remaining on a contract that is too high for a 3rd line player.  There's too much risk here.

On Friedman's comment:  Allvin kicks the tires on everybody.  His style is to be thorough.  Of course he is asking but this contract would be like an albatross tied around Allvin's neck for 6 more years.  Plus in 25-26 a 10 team no trade list kicks in.  No thanks!

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Carolina doesn't have to sweeten to dump Kotkaniemi, so I doubt they'd want to take Mikheyev.  JK's buyout is cheap ($455k to $835k/ year) due to his age.
image.thumb.png.a0476221c6fc1debe9c475b9498617cd.png

Let Carolina buy him out then.  And if they want the guy, offer him a reasonable contract after the other one is tied around someone else's neck

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Carolina doesn't have to sweeten to dump Kotkaniemi, so I doubt they'd want to take Mikheyev.  JK's buyout is cheap ($455k to $835k/ year) due to his age.
image.thumb.png.a0476221c6fc1debe9c475b9498617cd.png

Actually the Canes would need to sweeten any deal for JK. He’s soon to be 24, stalled in any progression, is way over payed, and has six more years on his contract. They’d jump to take on only two years of Mik if that was offered. But PA is too smart for that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Dudes also got 5 more yrs left..I wouldn't want that experimental problem.

Yeah me neither. I’d pass unless Carolina offers a sweetener to take JK off their hands. If they can’t find anyone maybe they just buy him out. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

Dudes also got 5 more yrs left..I wouldn't want that experimental problem.

And HK isn’t at all a top six player, not even in a defensive role. Whereas Mik, when healthy, is a proven top six player, especially in a defensive role. 
The only way this kind of trade works out is if it gets a lot bigger than just one for one. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1