[Rumour] Canucks have some interest in Kotkaniemi as per Friedman

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually the Canes would need to sweeten any deal for JK. He’s soon to be 24, stalled in any progression, is way over payed, and has six more years on his contract. They’d jump to take on only two years of Mik if that was offered. But PA is too smart for that. 

Read the cap hit column of the chart I posted.  That's how much they'll be paying him each year.  

I don't know what I think about this. He's seems overpaid right now but he likely has his better years ahead of him too so he could grow into not being overpaid.

That being said, the fact that we're questioning it shows that it is a risk. Either PA would look like a genius getting him or it would be perhaps the first major dud.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vancan said:

Kinda funny, the only reason he is in Carolina because they offer sheeted him a number that Montreal could not match. Carolina had little interest in him, but did anyway to give the habs a big FU to the for doing it to Carolina the year before with Aho. Moral of the story... Dont offer sheet another teams player, owners and GM's don't forget. 

Saying all that the kid has some crazy skills and potential. Saying that so did Baertschi, Juolevi, Virtanen, etc, etc. 

and Bertuzzi

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Im intrigued.

Would have to bank on being traded really lighting a fire under his ass and player development/coaching guiding him but it could be a big win IF he turned out.  

Or he could end up being another pool party.  

In my limited viewings he had some big moments.  Can play a physical game but like a lot of athletes consistency is the issue.  

On 5/25/2024 at 9:48 PM, Crabcakes said:

Some posters have asserted that Colliton was more interested in winning than developing players and that he moved Raty from center to wing to this end.  It was one of the reasons why they parted company.  I don't know if this is true but it makes some sense.  We may see Raty, Klimovich and others being better developed next season under Malhotra.

That's always the tension isn't it? Win or development. Players tend to develop better in a winning environment than a losing one. So I can understand why Colliton might have prioritized winning. But I can't help but think that winning would also land him an NHL gig sooner rather than later, even if it came at the expense of development. 

I'm hoping that Malhotra (welcome home, by the way) can do a good job with Räty and Klimovich. Those two need to take huge steps next year, or else I'd be concerned. 

• Like 1

Too much 

not a huge fan of Aman and I’d rather have him.

kot is too much for not enough top end, I’d rather have cheaper wait and see projects, van needs scoring help first and foremost, bottom half of the roster can be pieced together similar to this year was.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:10 PM, PureQuickness said:

My mom actually hates this guy so much after what JK did to Pettersson. He also hates his mole, but mostly what he did to Pettersson. It's a bit hilarious to be honest if the Canucks traded for him. Maybe he can help Pettersson.

The mole is the reason the canucks want him, it causes so much aggro and hate 😛 perfect player for ricky boy

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:24 PM, Warhippy said:

Hronek + Mikheyev

Necas + Kotkaniemi + pick or rights to Pesce

That's really about it.  No significant interest in JK outside of bottom 6 role playing C and even then he's questionable.  But for a chance at Pesce AND Necas...worth the risk

I was thinking something similar but to me we add the rights to Lindy and the pick they add is a 4th.

That way we get back something of equal value and Alvin likes to make great deals.

Posted (edited)

Maybe a season under Tocchet could reignite his fire?

If Canucks can't afford to keep Joshua, would he be able to bring as much physicality as Joshua?

It could be interesting...  Alvin has a plan already, I'm sure...

All be a part of a bigger trade (Necas)....

Edited by spook007

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

If Canucks can't afford to keep Joshua, would he be able to bring as much physicality as Joshua?

He most definitely will not bring the same physicality as Joshua. He's no shrinking violet but he's not exactly a physical player either.

If we want a Joshua replacement we should be looking at Luostarinen out of Florida. Only average physically during the season but always greatly ups his physicality in the playoffs. 46 hits in 15 games so far this playoffs and 37 in 16 last playoffs. Still not Joshua's 74 hits in 13 games this playoffs, but it's a lot closer than Kotkaniemi's 12 in 11.

Than being said, something like Hronek + Mikheyev for Kotkaniemi + Necas is a trade I would be very happy with.

• Cheers 1

Why not let Carolina be able to negotiate with Hronek, and us be able to negotiate with Pesce?

Then we can basically do a deal like most of you have said, but it comes with contract security for all involved:

Hronek and Mikheyev for Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Pesce (UFA)

I really don't like the idea of moving Hronek without a plan in place to replace him.  Betting on trying to land a RHD in the UFA market is not a good backup plan at all.  If we fail to land a top tier RHD, we're screwed for next season.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why not let Carolina be able to negotiate with Hronek, and us be able to negotiate with Pesce?

Then we can basically do a deal like most of you have said, but it comes with contract security for all involved:

Hronek and Mikheyev for Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Pesce (UFA)

I really don't like the idea of moving Hronek without a plan in place to replace him.  Betting on trying to land a RHD in the UFA market is not a good backup plan at all.  If we fail to land a top tier RHD, we're screwed for next season.

Here's the cap situation assuming the following:

Pesce signed at $6.5M AAV

Necas signed at $6.75M AAV

Zadorov re-signed at $5.5M AAV

Myers on a 1 year $3M deal

Kastelic (I still think this guy would be a great add to our bottom 6 if we can pry him out of Ottawa)

The new lineup for 2024/25:

Hoglander-Pettersson-Necas

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Garland

PDG-Kastelic-Karlsson

Hughes-Pesce

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

We actually would have some cap flexibility in 2026 and 2027 too (the worst of OEL's buyout years).

image.thumb.png.7954afc054024945fbe5fa1c4e499cb9.png

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Here's the cap situation assuming the following:

Pesce signed at $6.5M AAV

Necas signed at $6.75M AAV

Zadorov re-signed at $5.5M AAV

Myers on a 1 year $3M deal

Kastelic (I still think this guy would be a great add to our bottom 6 if we can pry him out of Ottawa)

The new lineup for 2024/25:

Hoglander-Pettersson-Necas

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Garland

PDG-Kastelic-Karlsson

Hughes-Pesce

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

We actually would have some cap flexibility in 2026 and 2027 too (the worst of OEL's buyout years).

image.thumb.png.7954afc054024945fbe5fa1c4e499cb9.png

Blueger + Joshua >>> Kotkeniemi 

Does he even pk?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Blueger + Joshua >>> Kotkeniemi 

Does he even pk?

Blueger + Joshua = Kotkeniemi - Mikheyev

You do have a point though.  Our PK would suffer losing all of Blueger, Joshua, and Mikheyev.  Although Aman looked pretty darn good out there in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Blueger + Joshua = Kotkeniemi - Mikheyev

You do have a point though.  Our PK would suffer losing all of Blueger, Joshua, and Mikheyev.  Although Aman looked pretty darn good out there in the playoffs.

Id rather find a way to just dump Mikheyev than take on another risky contract.

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Kuzmenko has Tocchet as a coach. And he was shipped out. If the player doesn’t align with Tocchet. Probably not going to come here or they’ll be shipped back out. Problem with Jesperi is that if we take that contract. We’d have to attach yet another sweetener just to get rid of a contractual problem we should never have had to begin with. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would too... but we could do a lot worse than a 23yo 6'2" 201lbs centre that put up 18 goals and 43 points at 22yo last year.  Bit of a downturn this year, albeit his ATOI dropped by almost 2min compared to last year.  He's still very young with a lot of potential for growth.  Also, if he really is that terrible, his contract is very buyout friendly.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

is JK really that risky? I'm not convinced, I'd love to see him under Tocc.

If we know that Hronek won't budge on salary, that means he's here for just one more year. In that case, if PA could trade Hronek and Mik for JK and Necas I'd be pretty darn happy with that exchange. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Anyone asked Petey if he would be ok with JK being on his team?

might want to make sure of the ok, before acquiring the guy.

That whole thing is overblown by fans.  Pettersson tried a reverse hit, they got tangled up and unfortunately Pettersson got injured.  He said there was nothing dirty about what Kotkaniemi did. People need to get over it 

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

That whole thing is overblown by fans.  Pettersson tried a reverse hit, they got tangled up and unfortunately Pettersson got injured.  He said there was nothing dirty about what Kotkaniemi did. People need to get over it 

Yep, but what people say, in public, is not always what they mean.

Likely there are no hard feelings, but I'd be making sure, before pursuing JK, if he is even a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yep, but what people say, in public, is not always what they mean.

Likely there are no hard feelings, but I'd be making sure, before pursuing JK, if he is even a possibility.

"He hooked my leg a little bit – I was going to reverse him or stop him – and it was an accident,” Pettersson told Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos as part of a wider-ranging one-on-one interview. “We got tangled up, we both fell down and I got in an awkward position. It wasn’t a dirty play or anything. He apologized afterwards, which shows good sportsmanship from him. So it was really just unlucky for me and it’s nothing too serious.”

• Cheers 1