[Rumour] Canucks have some interest in Kotkaniemi as per Friedman

If a Jk for Mik swap is what it takes to land necas for a good price I’m all for it, kotkaniemi has some pest to his game with the right personal could be an affective player, may never live up to his co tract but could get much less of a negative value window for the next 2 years than mikheyev brings 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I"m not afraid to say, I have absolutely no idea who the **** is this guy (Kotkaniemi) 🤣

His name is Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Yet for some reason he gets called KK. 
And Habs’ fans love him. 

Edited by Alflives

4.82 for a good third line centre is not bad. 
If Lindholm walks we need centres and moving out Mik has significant value. 
‘Makes it hard to find a top 6 winger but it would fill a significant need, not sure how well but I trust PA and Tocch. 

Posted (edited)

I been anti-Kotkaniemi going back to the Miller to Carolina days. Which is funny cause I wanted Kotkaniemi with the 10th pick back when he was drafted. Lol. I an intrigued by his upside. But he hasn't done much and last year played with good players. And this season he kinda fell out of favor even more. Nearly 5mil for a 3rd line center when we are paying almost 5mil for a 3rd line RWer is just bad cap management imo.

That's before we factor in Mikheyev, who even if bought out that's more wasted cap and it's weirdly hopeful to assume they even take Mikheyev for Kotkaniemi. And even if they do, we are just trading Mikheyev for a player with a longer potentially worse contract. Lol. We can't keep making moves that fuck up our cap structure, then get mad in the playoffs when no one is shooting or scoring cause we have 3 forwards capable of producing, because we keep messing up by adding these grossly overpaid middle 6 players. How many overpaid 3rd liners do we need to fail on before we maybe just stop overpaying 3rd liners?

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Kot is a 30pt player.  Unless the Canucks think he’ll be a 50pt player in the future, he’s not worth his cap hit.

True but if it’s Mik out and JK in then the cap cost is a wash plus we add the sweetener the Csnes have to include. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His name is Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Yet for some reason he gets called KK. 
And Habs’ fans love him. 

Kinda funny, the only reason he is in Carolina because they offer sheeted him a number that Montreal could not match. Carolina had little interest in him, but did anyway to give the habs a big FU to the for doing it to Carolina the year before with Aho. Moral of the story... Dont offer sheet another teams player, owners and GM's don't forget. 

Saying all that the kid has some crazy skills and potential. Saying that so did Baertschi, Juolevi, Virtanen, etc, etc. 

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

4.82 for a good third line centre is not bad. 
If Lindholm walks we need centres and moving out Mik has significant value. 
‘Makes it hard to find a top 6 winger but it would fill a significant need, not sure how well but I trust PA and Tocch. 

Koktkaniemi doesn't really play like a $4.82 3rd liner.  Canucks have Suter as an adequate 3C ($1.6m)

Besides, long term Kokt would block Raty from getting that spot later on.

I really question this rumour for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Carolina is rumoured to be contemplating a buyout. Which would be like 850k for 10 years and years 11 and 12 like 450k for a total of like 9.5 mill. His age means a favourable buyout. So if you ask them to retain 1 million and have him at 3.82 that’s a total of the only paying 6 million instead of 9.5 and only 150k penalty more for the 6 years. Kotkaniemi at 3.8 million to be your 3rd line center isn’t horrible.  

Hronek for Necas and Kotkaniemi 1 mill retained

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Koktkaniemi doesn't really play like a $4.82 3rd liner.  Canucks have Suter as an adequate 3C ($1.6m)

Räty's not even being developed as a C anymore. Isn't he playing wing in baby for the most part? 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Räty's not even being developed as a C anymore. Isn't he playing wing in baby for the most part? 

Check out his page.  The reason he is playing LW is brought up by a fan that has been keeping

up with Abby and Raty's game.

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Carolina doesn't have to sweeten to dump Kotkaniemi, so I doubt they'd want to take Mikheyev.  JK's buyout is cheap ($455k to $835k/ year) due to his age.
image.thumb.png.a0476221c6fc1debe9c475b9498617cd.png

… for 12 years and it costs $10 million in real dollars which is an issue to most owners who give the team an operating budget.  Carolina is one of the lower revenue teams.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Some posters have asserted that Colliton was more interested in winning than developing players and that he moved Raty from center to wing to this end.  It was one of the reasons why they parted company.  I don't know if this is true but it makes some sense.  We may see Raty, Klimovich and others being better developed next season under Malhotra.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I'd almost like to see it just to watch certain fans backpeddle on all the shitty things they said about the kid after the Pettersson incident 

My mom actually hates this guy so much after what JK did to Pettersson. He also hates his mole, but mostly what he did to Pettersson. It's a bit hilarious to be honest if the Canucks traded for him. Maybe he can help Pettersson.

2 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

What if we used him to fill a spot from a Pettersson trade 

Suter Miller Boeser 

Joshua Lindholm Garland 

Hoglander Kotkaniemi Podkolzin 

Di Giseppe Blueger Lafferty 

You dont sniff play off with that

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think they have accepted Raty is better at left wing. 
This rumour was sort of an extension of the EP rumours from before he signed.
Not sure it is current but we also are in a position where we only have 2 NHL centres if we don’t sign Blue or Lindholm. 

This kids face is almost as punchable as Bouchard’s and for that reason only I don’t want him, although other side of me wants to hear dhali trying to pronounce his name on a daily basis. 

His career ppg is 0.40.  He finished 13th on Canes in scoring this season while playing 79 games.  Rod played him 12 minutes per game.  He is paid 4.8 million until 2030.  Canes would have to attach a first, second and retain salary.  He’s an anchor.  Way better and cheaper options for 3rd line centre.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think they have accepted Raty is better at left wing. 
This rumour was sort of an extension of the EP rumours from before he signed.
Not sure it is current but we also are in a position where we only have 2 NHL centres if we don’t sign Blue or Lindholm. 

Suter and Blue together are half the price of Kotkaniemi.  Both players have similar offensive

numbers and are better defensively than Kotk.  I get that he's young and still has potential.

Maybe the Nucks think their coaching team can bring out a better player. 

Edited by higgyfan

19 hours ago, Provost said:

… for 12 years and it costs $10 million in real dollars which is an issue to most owners who give the team an operating budget.  Carolina is one of the lower revenue teams.

By comparison minimum salaries are around $750k, so paying him around league min to tell him off is cheap, when considering that they would accrue $20 million in savings.  Less than $1 million per year would be a drop in the bucket considering the salary cap is scheduled to go up too.