[Rumour] Canadiens may deal young blue liner for scoring help and to alleviate D prospect logjam

49 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Montreal would politely pass. 

No they wouldn’t. And there is zero chance we would make that offer anyway. 
The Haberdoodles have nothing we want, except Suzuki. There’s good reason why they stink. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hughes wasn't stellar defensively in college either and wasn't used in a defensive capacity. 

From an offensive perspective, it's not even close:

Hughes:

At 19yo - 29 points in 37 games

At 20yo - 33 points in 32 games

Hutson:

At 19yo - 48 points in 39 games

At 20yo - 49 points in 38 games

Have no idea how you can say that "This is so far from the truth".

Yep, Quinn was brutal defensively at UMich. I went to watch one of their games during his draft year (wanted to see Lockwood in person) and Hughes ended up on my "do not draft" list due his complete lack of wanting to do anything in the defensive zone. Very happy to have been wrong about him though.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The dman I would want from Montreal is Mailoux.  

"First-year pro. (Oct 6/23 -AHL)
Big body - right shot - logged an absolute ton of ice time playing for the London Knights (OHL)
Rangy - good skater - can attack off the rush in open ice and has the ability to beat opponents off the edge - shoots the puck with authority
Defending detail will evolve as he matures - there are times he jumps to plays too quickly on the half wall in his zone - allowing opponent to spill off him along the boards and take pucks to the net - all about timing
Not punishing physically but certainly capable of handling weight
Needs time but he could end up as a 2PD who logs significant minutes at ES and PP."

Compete/Consistency: 84

Defensive Zone Starts: 75

Hockey IQ: 80

Offensive Zone Starts: 85

Penalty Kill: 65

Power Play: 84

Physicality: 69

Puck Moving/Passing: 79

Shot: 86

Skating: 85

https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports/players/logan-mailloux

Hogs would be a good fit in Montreal, they only have 1 LW that scores goals

Baron is good pickup as well, but seems to be struggling of late. He's a year

younger than Mailoux and is no longer waiver exempt.

Baron doesn't get Hogs straight up.  Hogs + Amen for Baron + Jake Evans (C-r)

I'm not sure what the return for Mailoux would be, but his value should include the

advantage of 2 more years waiver exempt.

I'm pretty sure Mailoux is on the "not available" list atm 

Edited by qwijjibo

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Big body - right shot - logged an absolute ton of ice time playing for the London Knights (OHL)
Rangy - good skater - can attack off the rush in open ice and has the ability to beat opponents off the edge - shoots the puck with authority
Defending detail will evolve as he matures - there are times he jumps to plays too quickly on the half wall in his zone - allowing opponent to spill off him along the boards and take pucks to the net - all about timing
Needs time but he could end up as a 2PD who logs significant minutes at ES and PP."

I'm not sure what the return for Mailoux would be, but his value should include the

um, no, we don't want anything to do with this creep. 

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm pretty sure Mailloux is on the "not available" list atm 

Good;  way, way too much baggage.

He'd get run out of town, likely before he even played a game here.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

we're not desperate enough to want this guy. Seems more like an Oiler. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

A guess 1 strike and you're out huh?  The kid shared a Pic of a consensual sexual encounter with a girl of legal age with his teammates.  I'm not downplaying it but let's not act like the kid is a serial abuser.  He's owned up to what he did, gone through counseling and everything else he could do.  I'm totally fine with Montreal hanging on to the kid and giving him a chance 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

A guess 1 strike and you're out huh?  The kid shared a Pic of a consensual sexual encounter with a girl of legal age with his teammates.  I'm not downplaying it but let's not act like the kid is a serial abuser.  He's owned up to what he did, gone through counseling and everything else he could do.  I'm totally fine with Montreal hanging on to the kid and giving him a chance 

Yep- 1 strike can be out.

depends on the type of swing he made.

No way enough people will let that slide.

Not enough upside to chance it

low reward, high risk.

I'd pass.

I also wouldn't be the guy leading the, get him out of here, parade.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Yep- 1 strike can be out.

depends on the type of swing he made.

No way enough people will let that slide.

Not enough upside to chance it

low reward, high risk.

I'd pass.

I also wouldn't be the guy leading the, get him out of here, parade.

It's funny how many people are totally fine with Tocchet's character issues and the fact that he had to enter a plea bargain to avoid jail time with his gambling ring charges. But a kid makes a bad decision, owns up to it and goes through counseling and education but he deserves to be banned from the league 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

It's funny how many people are totally fine with Tocchet's character issues and the fact that he had to enter a plea bargain to avoid jail time with his gambling ring charges. But a kid makes a bad decision, owns up to it and goes through counseling and education but he deserves to be banned from the league 

Is it funny?

I just look at it as different people have different standards about different things.

And iirc a lot of people were very leery of Toch being signed, to the point of a bunch of them saying they would not run the risk. Heck there is at least one fan that would love to see Rick sacked today.

Also- one of those crimes is not like the other, imo.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

False equivalence. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Is it funny?

I just look at it as different people have different standards about different things.

And iirc a lot of people were very leery of Toch being signed, to the point of a bunch of them saying they would not run the risk. Heck there is at least one fan that would love to see Rick sacked today.

Also- one of those crimes is not like the other, imo.

Double standard

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

We don't need a sex offender on the team.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Double standard

In one case- a guy was running bets, and deprived the government/s of their share of the loot

in the other a guy showed off pictures of a  girl performing sex acts, without her consent.

Yeah, different for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The second someone shares photos without consent, it was no longer consensual. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

In one case- a guy was running bets, and deprived the government/s of their share of the loot

in the other a guy showed off pictures of a  girl performing sex acts, without her consent.

Yeah, different for sure.

One was an adult who committed his crimes over a long period of time.  The other was a teenager who made a terrible decision , owned up to it and got the counselling abs education he needed to grow as a person.  Both were wrong, both were criminal acts, why does one deserve a fresh start and not the other 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

its funny to see the defence of him going through the league counselling, like he was ever going to pass up his chance on an NHL salary. 

You know its the off-season when someones upset you don't like a douche canoe on their fav team. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The sexual act was consensual.  What followed was not. I'm not condoning what he did. But to act like he's a serial sex offender is ridiculous 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

One was an adult who committed his crimes over a long period of time.  The other was a teenager who made a terrible decision , owned up to it and got the counselling abs education he needed to grow as a person.  Both were wrong, both were criminal acts, why does one deserve a fresh start and not the other 

Just where did I say Rick deserved another chance?

Also where did I say Logan doesn't deserve another chance?

I think I was clear on "I would not take that chance".

Too much downside,  risk damage  to the brand, lose fans and  revenue?

Not worth it.

There are other players without the baggage.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The sexual act was consensual.  What followed was not. I'm not condoning what he did. But to act like he's a serial sex offender is ridiculous 

No? No one is acting like he's a "serial sex offender". Just a regular ol' sex offender guilty of distributing sexual photos without someones consent which is illegal and makes him a disgusting little shit. If people don't want that around the team, I see why.