Your Favorite All-Time Canuck

Canuck You

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Igor Larionov.

I was crushed when he left. But I respected his reasons. (To give a middle finger to the Russian Hockey Federation)

But to return to the NHL with San Jose, then win cups in Detroit. Oh, that hurts. But I still loved him as a player.

crazy to think about that the 91-92 team had both Larionov and Bure on it.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That has to do more with the teams they played on than with their individual talents...

You can't deny all three were fantastic players. Stevens was a cheating, mean sob. But that was the era.

Bure was exciting, and a true goal scorer.

But was more of a one trick pony. But boy was he amazing with that one trick.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can't deny all three were fantastic players. Stevens was a cheating, mean sob. But that was the era.

Bure was exciting, and a true goal scorer.

But was more of a one trick pony. But boy was he amazing with that one trick.

All 3 are hall of famers.  And all 3 are in the 100 greatest players of all time in the NHL.  I don't think you can just say Bure was a one trick pony.  I guess Bossy was the same?  And LaFleur?

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Igor Larionov.

I was crushed when he left. But I respected his reasons. (To give a middle finger to the Russian Hockey Federation)

But to return to the NHL with San Jose, then win cups in Detroit. Oh, that hurts. But I still loved him as a player.

Me too.

Years ago i was walking down the sidewalk along Brooksbank avenue. It was a quiet day with no traffic and no pedestrians except for one guy way in the distance. Even from a block away there was something striking about him even though I could barely make him out except that he was bowlegged. 

When we got to that point in passing when you raise your heads and say hi I was surprised and delighted to see it was Igor.

So much personality in that one hello--but man was he small!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

All 3 are hall of famers.  And all 3 are in the 100 greatest players of all time in the NHL.  I don't think you can just say Bure was a one trick pony.  I guess Bossy was the same?  And LaFleur?

All you had to see was Bure in Nagano. Clearly playing for Russia was his true passion. He was a leader, he checked, hit, scored, set up goals. He was a completely different player. I never saw that from him in the games in Vancouver or at the NHL level for that matter. He lived to score goals. But I didn't see a lot of backchecking, however. You played dirty with him. He'd repay you in spades. It was great having Gino as a wingman, but he could retaliate when you least expected it. He just wasn't a 200' player.

Ironically your namesake, has a lot of the same skills, yet will defend really well, and will set up plays. There's nothing wrong with a goal scorer. The type of players I like do lot more than that. And yes in the Montreal Era, I liked Larry Robinson a lot more than Guy. I even respected Bob Gainey for being an all around great player.

You think Bure's the best. That's fine by me. I just think differently. I even understand when folks say Linden, Naslund or Smyl, or even the Sedins.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Igor Larionov.

bure was the most exciting player, but my favourite russian canuck was also igor larinov. because he was the consimate team player. that is important to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

As a Kid Cliff Ronning hands down. 

As an adult Dan Hamhuis. 

Current Hughes

Pick one...... It has to be Dan though. Bieksa was an absolute loose cannon don't get me wrong I love Juice but he was at best a #5D with out Hamhuis his pinches were brutal. Together their playstyles combined to become the best D pairing I have ever seen in a Canucks uni.  

Shoutout to guys like Burr, Lappierre, Ruutu who were so fun to watch. 

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jiri Slegr had a great trick where he would unintentionally slap shot the puck into the upper stands during play and give everyone on the ice a rest.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Naslund. He made me a Canucks fan.

I remember when Nazzy scored that goal against Calgary to tie it up in GM7 with secs left how crazy we went! I was at the BCIT pub watching it with my friend and his phone was almost dead so during the intermission we booked it to his place to quickly grab his charger..by the time we got back tons of people were already walking out, I asked one of them 'what happened'..well we know..but what a memory!

Decided to use him as my profile pic in our new home. Markus Naslund. He was the captain for this team when I first got into hockey. I loved his demeanour, loved his game, and he just seems like a good dude. I will never stop being pissed that we let him leave. A stain on this franchise as far as I am concerned. Last game should have been as a Canuck.

• Like 2

Same answer as OP.

Grew up a huge Linden fan, but my crazier fandom days I became such a huge Bieksa fan. Had that perfect swagger a gritty D man needed and wasn't a slouch offensively.