Your Favorite All-Time Canuck

Canuck You

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

What about Lever? Seemed to be the next "best" Canuck after Boudrias.

I have Lever in the mix for sure.

To me the most obvious omission right now is Richard Brodeur.  Then I would put in Gino, Tiger Williams and Boudrias.  After them the names I would consider are Lever, Ronning, Lidster and a few others.

Lever was an excellent player though.  And the Canucks ironman record holder before Linden.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

Just re-read the Silver Anniversary edition Canucks book.    Back then the 94 run very fresh, the core was young ... so much hope.   Really enjoyed what they said about the Canucks in 1982, and those 80's teams.   Neale had them 7-0 before he was suspended ... then went on a run that made them the hottest team NHL, they even beat and stopped a 26 game winning streak the Habs were having during that in the forum, they sure did and in epic fashion.  Milford really did an incredible job creating that group.    Not just drafting, but also going into the Iron Curtain and mining some gems.   Before Sweden, it was Czechoslovakia, and later Russia (Quin). 

The 82 run gets lost, I was too young to appreciate it.    That team was full of character and some skill too.   Loaded.  King Richard was whom I played as, after school in net with my pals on the street.   And as a forward Gretzky of course lol.  

When I first started watching games CBC/BCTV ones, Butcher was probably my early favourite.   Just loved how he played, hard as nails.   Until we drafted Linden, he was considered the best first rounder the club ever picked.    Was tough watching Quin trade all those skill and character guys away, his strategy wasn't trading one for one, but one for 2 or 3.   And it sure worked out well for us.   Ronning didn't take long for me to forget about Butcher, same with Momesso and Courtnall.    Still, when I watched Butcher play in St. Louis, it was tough to see him in a different uniform, that trade was probably the second best multiplayer trade in club history.  

Ronning, Babych, Larionov, Linden, McLean were early favourites for me as a young adult.   Then Bure exploded onto the scene.   Our first legit superstar.   Unique talent.   Odjick, have a soft spot for enforcers, and he was by far the best we've ever had.  

Later on, Jovo, Ohlund from the WCE team, eventually the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Luongo.   Of those guys it's very close, and there are a few others like Mitchell too.     

No way I can pick just one.   Maybe one from each era.   But even that is tough.   Most of my picks would be from teams Linden played on.   So if I had to pick just one, Linden is it.    The player I enjoyed watching the most, Bure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have Lever in the mix for sure.

To me the most obvious omission right now is Richard Brodeur.  Then I would put in Gino, Tiger Williams and Boudrias.  After them the names I would consider are Lever, Ronning, Lidster and a few others.

Lever was an excellent player though.  And the Canucks ironman record holder before Linden.

At this point also think Bieksa deserves recognition as well.   Guys still promoting the heck out of us, and retired a Canuck.   Underdog, and absolutely an important core member of the best regular season team we've ever had, if Burrows gets in, so should he.   Didn't slay the dragon, but he did dismantle and disrupt a very good SJ team,  a contender.   As the series went on, SJ was outplaying us.   Luongo and Bieksa won that series for us.   Bieksa making Eager go mad and lose lose his sh!t, was the reason we won one game, so was his knuckle ball goal that was truly pure luck.  

Ronning for sure should be in too.  We couldn't find a replacement ... really didn't have one until Kesler.   

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/27/2023 at 3:46 AM, IBatch said:

At this point also think Bieksa deserves recognition as well.   Guys still promoting the heck out of us, and retired a Canuck.   Underdog, and absolutely an important core member of the best regular season team we've ever had, if Burrows gets in, so should he.   Didn't slay the dragon, but he did dismantle and disrupt a very good SJ team,  a contender.   As the series went on, SJ was outplaying us.   Luongo and Bieksa won that series for us.   Bieksa making Eager go mad and lose lose his sh!t, was the reason we won one game, so was his knuckle ball goal that was truly pure luck.  

Ronning for sure should be in too.  We couldn't find a replacement ... really didn't have one until Kesler.   

I have no problem with Bieksa in the ring but I still think I have him behind Lidster and maybe Butcher and Kearns as well in terms of D-men.  I'm down with all four of those guys though.  Kearns was actually 10th in the NHL in assists one year as a Canuck too.

• Vintage 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, The Social Hermit said:

Trevor Linden. In the ‘94 finals, he was pretty much super human. He almost single handedly delivered the Stanley Cup to Vancouver - if only the league wasn’t crooked.

By far , the closest any one player got us to the Holy Grail. If only every player that donned a Canuck uniform, played like him. The Steamer is a close second. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, EdgarM said:

By far , the closest any one player got us to the Holy Grail. If only every player that donned a Canuck uniform, played like him. The Steamer is a close second. 

Honestly Richard Brodeur is by far the most responsible anyone has been for singlehandedly getting us close to a Cup.

Everyone else...Linden, McLean, Smyl, Sedins, etc. did a great job but they're battling for a silver medal in this contest that is practically a bronze given the distance from first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/27/2023 at 3:26 AM, IBatch said:

Just re-read the Silver Anniversary edition Canucks book.    Back then the 94 run very fresh, the core was young ... so much hope.   Really enjoyed what they said about the Canucks in 1982, and those 80's teams.   Neale had them 7-0 before he was suspended ... then went on a run that made them the hottest team NHL, they even beat and stopped a 26 game winning streak the Habs were having during that in the forum, they sure did and in epic fashion.  Milford really did an incredible job creating that group.    Not just drafting, but also going into the Iron Curtain and mining some gems.   Before Sweden, it was Czechoslovakia, and later Russia (Quin).

If you don't have this one I think you'd probably like it.

91ztFwOnZbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2023 at 7:47 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Ronning was great to watch.  I might still call him the most exciting Canuck of all time after Bure.  I have him in the running for my 2nd choice for this thread along with a few others.  Babych, McLean, Lidster, Linden, Smyl.

If people weren't watching at the time they probably wouldn't appreciate it but when Ronning arrived in 1991 or whenever and exploded in the playoffs it was huge...the "Lifeline" with Linden and Courtnall.  If he had stuck around a few more seasons he would have been a slam dunk for the Ring of Honor.

Had a lot more good hockey in him when he left Vancouver than people thought.  He left Nashville as their all time scoring leader and then had some more decent years before the lockout ended his career and that of several other aging vets.

Pretty amazing player, and agree he was a treat to watch.   Used to refer to him as a "water-bug", almost impossible to hit, could skate in a phone booth.    Was sad when he moved on, it's a testament to how good of a hockey player he was, given what he managed later in the dead puck era.   Another guy I missed that went to NSH, was Scotty Walker, arguably the best little guy fighter in club history.    If Burke didn't relent, and let Keenan expose him instead of Zezel, that was the secondary scoring we needed in the WCE era. 

• Vintage 1

Kirk McLean - easily one of the top 3 goalies ever a Canuck.

I played a very similar stand up style as he did.  Although I fashioned my style closer to V. Tretiak, even going so far as to use his #20. 

Took the team to within 1 game of the cup.

Classy guy.  

Naslund.

I was 10 at the peak of the WCE. That line, and particularly Naslund, is the reason I became a Canucks fan.

I just thought he was the absolute coolest in every way. I'll never feel that way about another player ever again. As an adult now it would be pretty strange if I did 😂.

But I'll definitely never forget those memories. What a great time to be a kid in Vancouver falling in love with hockey.

Thanks Nazzy. You got me hooked for life.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Ds4quality said:

Tanti the forgotten one

Hell of a player.  Petri Skriko and Patrik Sundstrom have been forgotten along with him but they carried the team offensively for most of a decade...along with another forgotten and unfairly maligned man Barry Pederson.

Tanti had 5 straight years with 39 or more goals.  The number of players in NHL history with five straight 40 goal seasons is quite low.  Hall of Fame level scarce actually.

• Cheers 3