Your Favorite All-Time Canuck

Canuck You

On 9/26/2023 at 11:49 PM, Canuckle said:

I have to do favourites per decade. There are too many.

1980s - Oilers fan as a child. Sigh.

1990s - Trevor Linden, Cliff Ronning

2000s - Todd Bertuzzi, Ed Jovanovski

2010s - Kevin Bieksa, Hank and Danny

2020s - Thatcher Demko, Elias Pettersson

That's actually a good way to do it.

Also was caught up in the Oiler mania as a kid.   Gretzky/Coffey were my favourite players, also liked Wendel Clark in TO, and others, but it felt like the Oilers were going to win ten cups.  Just too darn good. 

That changed when Gretzky was traded and Coffey was gone.   But still rooted for them in 1990 once we were done.   Sad state of affairs when you're playing against your childhood hero's in 1994, and one of them becomes an enemy of the state.    

Babych, Ronning, Adams, Linden, McLean.   Then Bure.   Can't pick one from the 90's. 

Can't pick just one from the 2000's either.

2010's either.

2020's  is easy, all EP and QHs. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

On 9/26/2023 at 5:53 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I have Lever in the mix for sure.

To me the most obvious omission right now is Richard Brodeur.  Then I would put in Gino, Tiger Williams and Boudrias.  After them the names I would consider are Lever, Ronning, Lidster and a few others.

Lever was an excellent player though.  And the Canucks ironman record holder before Linden.

I've said this before but Orland Kurtanback.  Old time hockey Captain.  It's too bad he wasn't younger.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Always loved me some Dave Babych!  Trying to hit him was like driving your car into a fire hydrant.  
He seems to get a little forgotten at times.  It would be cool to see a little 10 minute special or something on him.

One of my favourite memories of Babych was watching Probert fly in behind the net, Babych in a vulnerable position, saw Big Bob at the last second, dug in and Probert did just that, bounced off him violently.  My other favourite was his one arm glove hold, would keep his eye on the ref, they mostly let it go because, well if a guy can one glove you and put you where he wants, it's not interference lol.   Especially if you can grow a mustache at 10. 

Edit:  If anyone can find the video, that would be great.    I've looked.   Burned into my psyche because I was screaming at the TV "LOOK OUT!!", instead Probert was the one left scraping himself off the ice. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Always loved me some Dave Babych!  Trying to hit him was like driving your car into a fire hydrant.  
He seems to get a little forgotten at times.  It would be cool to see a little 10 minute special or something on him.

His bad luck was that he had three pretty good careers with three different teams but wasn't in one place quite long enough.  Kind of like Larry Murphy or Dino Ciccarelli or Mike Gartner or Dave Andreychuk.

Great player.  I think he retired in the top 20 all time in terms of scoring among NHL defensemen.

Was a scoring star and then did the Bryan Trottier / Trevor Linden reinvention to become a super solid defensive guy.  Without ever losing his scoring touch entirely.  I think I remember in his last playoffs he scored the goal to send the Flyers to overtime and keep the series alive.

He's got over 700 career points and got as high as 6th place for the Norris Trophy.  700 career points is one hell of a career for a forward, never mind a defenseman.  He's closer to a Hall of Famer than people think...and in the running for the best human being to wear the Canucks jersey as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/4/2023 at 7:13 AM, IBatch said:

That's actually a good way to do it.

Also was caught up in the Oiler mania as a kid.   Gretzky/Coffey were my favourite players, also liked Wendel Clark in TO, and others, but it felt like the Oilers were going to win ten cups.  Just too darn good. 

That changed when Gretzky was traded and Coffey was gone.   But still rooted for them in 1990 once we were done.   Sad state of affairs when you're playing against your childhood hero's in 1994, and one of them becomes an enemy of the state.    

Babych, Ronning, Adams, Linden, McLean.   Then Bure.   Can't pick one from the 90's. 

Can't pick just one from the 2000's either.

2010's either.

2020's  is easy, all EP and QHs. 

Yeah decades is kind of a decent way to break it down...

70s...  Harold Snepsts, Gary Smith, Bobby Lalonde, Chris Oddleifson, Orland Kurtenbach.

80s...  King Richard, Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl, Doug Lidster, John Garrett, Tiger Williams.

90s...  Dave Babych, Kirk McLean, Trevor Linden, Cliff Ronning, Gino Odjick, Tim Hunter.

00s...  Trevor Linden.  Less competition for the title but I liked Willie Mitchell, Bieksa, Burrows, Sedins, Lu.

10s...  Same guys I guess minus Linden and Mitchell now out of the picture.

Still feels like I'm slighting a ton of guys.  I mean I really liked Tanti, Skriko, Ververgaert, Gary the Skull Bromley, Momesso, Murray Craven, Garth Butcher, Darcy Rota etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

One of my favourite memories of Babych was watching Probert fly in behind the net, Babych in a vulnerable position, saw Big Bob at the last second, dug in and Probert did just that, bounced off him violently.  My other favourite was his one arm glove hold, would keep his eye on the ref, they mostly let it go because, well if a guy can one glove you and put you where he wants, it's not interference lol.   Especially if you can grow a mustache at 10. 

Edit:  If anyone can find the video, that would be great.    I've looked.   Burned into my psyche because I was screaming at the TV "LOOK OUT!!", instead Probert was the one left scraping himself off the ice. 

There's a video I wish I could find as well.  It was the pre-game one minute montage or whatever that CBC used to do before a playoff game broadcast started...with highlights setting up that particular game.  It was when the Canucks were down 3-0 to Chicago in the 1995 second round series and about to be swept.  The camera just panned down the bench I think as the clock for game 3 ticked down with the Canucks looking somber and determined and a pretty good dramatic piano thing was playing.  I don't know if the camera lingered on Babych but he was the one that stood out as appearing serious about what was happening and what was to come.

It was like one of these things...  This was one of the better ones as well.

• Vintage 1

When the Canucks traded for Luongo and signed Willie Mitchell, Mitchell became my favorite Canuck. He was the first player jersey I purchased. I had a non-player Maroon jersey before that.

Went to my first Canucks game in Nov/Dec of 2010 (didn't live in BC) and Manny Malhotra scored 2 against the Detroit Red Wings. I subsequently bought a Malhotra jersey.

Now I'd say my favorite player is Pettersson. He's electric.

Jersey collection includes a skate Linden jersey, Malhotra 2010 alt, 2008 home Mitchell, 2011 signed home Luongo, and a 2022 signed home Pettersson.

Edited by xMagnus

70s...  Bobby Schmautz, Pat Quinn, Orland Kurtenbach.

80s...  King Richard, Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser, Thomas Gradin

90s...  Dave Babych, Kirk McLean, Trevor Linden, Cliff Ronning, Pavel Bure, Mattias Ohlund

00s. 10's..  Bieksa, Burrows, Sedins, Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra

If i have to break it down to one player its Bure. No one brought excitement to the team like he did. The speed the puck handling the shot. He did McDavid things before Mc God ever hit the Coilers.  Pavel left on bad feelings but I saw him live against the Jets his first game and there was no one who was even close to his skill set at the time. Moglilny maybe but he could not do things as fast as Pavel did at full speed.