Brendan Gaunce, yes that dud(e)

Posted (edited)

Placed on waivers. 6'2" 220lbs (after eating an Mamma Mia Pasta Bowl) .... tools / toolbox situation.

At 30 yrs old would an Abby signing make sense for depth? Probably not but 3 points sitting at a bar overlooking the gentle palms swaying in the breeze as the sun slowly melts into horizon while jubilent nyphms cast nets for this evenings supper ... oh look a sweaty Mojito, yes I will have another, thank you very much my diligent bartender.

1) low cost

2) big body

3) last chance

4) bury in minors if not working out

*** so into my mojito I forgot to post the points ... now 4 

But I digress, low cost low upside who knows.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Present management has no attachment to Gaunce at all.  As I recall, he was a really bright kid, perhaps he should try coaching or management.  While he was still in the Canucks organization, I heard it suggested.

• Cheers 1

I have criticized the Gaunce pick, knowing that it was such a low ceiling pick but Gillis at the time wanted "NHL ready" players. Terrible philosophy.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about Gaunce as a character. High character guy with low chance of making the cut. No shame in that. The fact that he's lasted this long is testament to his growing desire to get better. He could be a nice pickup for the third or fourth line. I think he's probably no worse than Lafferty.

I haven't followed up with how the team is doing, how is the Abbotsford center group doing?  (Heard Karlsson was doing decent but besides him and Raty, if there aren't many young guns on the rise whose progress he can impede, then I would be glad to add him for Abbie depth but it also matters how his footspeed would enable him to perform, albeit in the minors).  

Gaunce has had a very similar career to Di Giuseppe. A career NHL/AHL tweener who is a safe and reliable call-up and maybe just needs the right opportunity to stick on an NHL roster full-time.

• ThereItIs 1

It would make my Gaunce jersey relevant again (won it at a Young Stars tourney), but I'm sure he'll be looking for a better opportunity to make the NHL. Who knows, maybe we have some changeover and he'd be willing.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He's a fantastic AHL forward who can cut it as a 13th forward too. I wouldn't be against it.

Haven't watched Brendan Guance since he left the Vancouver system after the 2018-2019 season.

That year with the big club, Brendan collected three points in three games (was plus 3) and was then returned to the minors. He was known more for his strong defensive game. I think that he lead the team in hits for the prior 2017-2018 season.

The issue was that his job on the 4th line was taken by the "Free Agent" signings that Benning made. Jay Beagle at 3M (centre) and Tim Schaller at 1.8M (LW).

IIRC, Guance made 775K. A big part of our Cap issues under Jim Benning was that he paid too much for bottom 6 players. Both Beagle and Schaller turned out to be poor signings.

Brendan Guance wasn't qualified by the clown team of Jimbo and Weisbo at the end of the 2018-2019 season.

He was drafted by us at No. 26 in 2012. A consensus BPA at that spot.

There was a knock on his skating when he was drafted. At 6'2" and 220 lbs. he was not an agile skater with good lateral movement.

Remember seeing video of Brendan in Utica with a breakaway from the defensive zone and he was pulling away from the opposition skaters. I believe that his straight line speed was quite good. Oh, and he did score on that breakaway.

Bottom line, I don't know if Brendan Gaunce has been injured since he left Vancouver but if he is healthy, he would probably be a better 4th line player than Aman.  This is an example of the moneypuck shopping that PA will probably have to engage in, given our cap situation.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Haven't watched Brendan Guance since he left the Vancouver system after the 2018-2019 season.

That year with the big club, Brendan collected three points in three games (was plus 3) and was then returned to the minors. He was known more for his strong defensive game. I think that he lead the team in hits for the prior 2017-2018 season.

The issue was that his job on the 4th line was taken by the "Free Agent" signings that Benning made. Jay Beagle at 3M (centre) and Tim Schaller at 1.8M (LW).

IIRC, Guance made 775K. A big part of our Cap issues under Jim Benning was that he paid too much for bottom 6 players. Both Beagle and Schaller turned out to be poor signings.

Brendan Guance wasn't qualified by the clown team of Jimbo and Weisbo at the end of the 2018-2019 season.

He was drafted by us at No. 26 in 2012. A consensus BPA at that spot.

There was a knock on his skating when he was drafted. At 6'2" and 220 lbs. he was not an agile skater with good lateral movement.

Remember seeing video of Brendan in Utica with a breakaway from the defensive zone and he was pulling away from the opposition skaters. I believe that his straight line speed was quite good. Oh, and he did score on that breakaway.

Bottom line, I don't know if Brendan Gaunce has been injured since he left Vancouver but if he is healthy, he would probably be a better 4th line player than Aman.  This is an example of the moneypuck shopping that PA will probably have to engage in, given our cap situation.

I always did find it bizarre that as his offense was improving (as you noted, three points in 3 games) he was sent down, never to return. Sure, he was never gonna be a top 6 dynamo, but I felt he had real potential to be a good 4th line C and was given up on right as he was developing.

That said, he's been a tweener ever since, so maybe that was his ceiling anyway.

• Cheers 1