[Discussion] Finding the next Dakota Joshua

So GMPA said hes confident hes going to find "the next Dakota Joshua"

To me that suggests going to the bargain basement to find talent that hasnt been given an opportunity or didnt fit into a teams system correctly, but would fit in well here.

For me the obvious name is Arthur Kaliyev. LA looks lke theyre done with him. 

22 years old, hes got silky smooth hands. Hes also big, 6 foot 2, over 200 pounds, but doesnt use his size much. Also kind of a floater/perimiter player. 

I think PA should offer him 3x 1.2m a year, and see if tocchet can get more out of him. if tocchet can convince him to go to the net, we've potentially got a bargain 30 goal scorer. 

whos on your list of potential next dakota joshuas?

• Cheers 1

I'd want one of the Russians from Columbus.  They probably already do value Marchenko and Voronkov (both RFA), but they have the size, physicality and skill that I'd want.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Main thing to keep in mind is the player doesn't necessarily have to come from free agency. He could be a piece acquired in a trade.

That being said, my guess is if PA is confident he can get another Joshua, he probably already has someone, or a few people, in mind.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Group 6 UFA list: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/points/all/all/ufa-group6?stats-season=2024

Have your pick I suppose. You could even have Kole Lind.

I could see maybe someone like Tufte, big guy who might get a look? dunno, this list is pretty uninspiring. 

*cracks knuckles*

*clears throat*

*recites the lords prayer*

"WHY IS NOBODY TAKING KOLE LIND?"

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Another thought, if we're not thinking too literally on an age an history similar to Joshua, but a player in general who could be like Joshua for us... Toffoli... 😉

Obviously a little more expensive than what would currently be a "nobody", but could have a similar effect.

Edited by The Lock

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Another thought, if we're not thinking too literally on an age an history similar to Joshua, but a player in general who could be like Joshua for us... Toffoli... 😉

Obviously a little more expensive than what would currently be a "nobody", but could have a similar effect.

i agree

I do wonder if internally they believe they can continue to develop Linus Karlsson.  Plays strong along the boards and around the net.  Bit of feistiness to him.  Obviously he has some things to improve as an athlete but those are off season things he can do.  He got a taste of the toughest hockey possible in the playoffs.  If he chooses to stay in N.A I think that will be a big indication.  

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Arthur Kaliyev

From Capfriendly: (bolded are mine)

A player like Kaliyev is very likely going to be a very streaky player his entire career.
He's an elite shooter who can be very dangerous on the power-play.
His skating is barely adequate for the NHL game. He lacks consistent 200ft pace and generally picks his spots to play quick.
At the All-Star break it's safe to say the Kings were hoping for more out of the forward
Through 38GP he scored 6G-8A - was a (+1) - Averaged 13:09 TOI - 11:25 ES - 1:44 PP
Kaliyev doesn't PK - and likely never will at the NHL level.
Despite his stature he was only credited with 17 hits and 9 shot blocks in the the 38 GP -
Pure offense. When not scoring he struggles to contribute to team success in other areas of the game. Third line forward at even strength but a first unit power-play candidate.

Kaliyev doesn't sound like a Tocchet guy. Sounds similar to Kuzmenko, actually.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goose said:

I do wonder if internally they believe they can continue to develop Linus Karlsson.  Plays strong along the boards and around the net.  Bit of feistiness to him.  Obviously he has some things to improve as an athlete but those are off season things he can do.  He got a taste of the toughest hockey possible in the playoffs.  If he chooses to stay in N.A I think that will be a big indication.  

Absolutely.  People are sleeping on what kinda player Karlsson can become.  I think he's got middle 6 written all over him.  A 10 to 15 goal, 30 point forward that, like you said, is strong along the boards and around the net.  Could be a very solid 3rd liner for us in the near future.

• Like 2

If we see RFAs unqualified or who are inexpensive in a trade, then I might be interested in:

David Gustafsson (WPG)

Juuso Parssinen (NSH)

Nolan Foote (NJD)

Maxime Comtois (CAR)

Oskar Back (DAL)

I doubt that any of these guys will fail to be qualified (except maybe for Comtois), but we'll see.

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely.  People are sleeping on what kinda player Karlsson can become.  I think he's got middle 6 written all over him.  A 10 to 15 goal, 30 point forward that, like you said, is strong along the boards and around the net.  Could be a very solid 3rd liner for us in the near future.

It's an interesting suggestion, and I do think Karlsson may have a shot to make the team next year. 

I see Podz having more of an opportunity to be the "next Joshua", subject to re-signing Joshua or bringing in another player.

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think he’s close.  His time in Abby set him up well for how to play.  This is a huge off season for him.l-if he can improve his skating/agility/strength he’s got a real chance imo.  Reminds me of Tanner Pearson.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Podzilla 

If he can do what Sam Lafferty was supposed to last season that would be great.  One of my line up ideas is to have him snd Duhaime (or a vet like him) on the 4th line next year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

If he can do what Sam Lafferty was supposed to last season that would be great.  One of my line up ideas is to have him snd Duhaime (or a vet like him) on the 4th line next year

We will have a couple bets at forward who have salaries that can be buried in the A so young guys have spots to compete for. If they win that spot then the vet is waived. The young guys have to push out the vet. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

From Capfriendly: (bolded are mine)

A player like Kaliyev is very likely going to be a very streaky player his entire career.
He's an elite shooter who can be very dangerous on the power-play.
His skating is barely adequate for the NHL game. He lacks consistent 200ft pace and generally picks his spots to play quick.
At the All-Star break it's safe to say the Kings were hoping for more out of the forward
Through 38GP he scored 6G-8A - was a (+1) - Averaged 13:09 TOI - 11:25 ES - 1:44 PP
Kaliyev doesn't PK - and likely never will at the NHL level.
Despite his stature he was only credited with 17 hits and 9 shot blocks in the the 38 GP -
Pure offense. When not scoring he struggles to contribute to team success in other areas of the game. Third line forward at even strength but a first unit power-play candidate.

Kaliyev doesn't sound like a Tocchet guy. Sounds similar to Kuzmenko, actually.

good analysis. the speed is disheartening. still wonder if hes worth a flyer on a buryable contract

Ooh also, would be open to trading a pick or prospect to take Jeannot from Tampa.  He's on a contract year and TB barely has $5 million with multiple guys to sign or replace.  Could see them trade him, even though they moved lots of picks for him.

Denton Heinen I’m convinced he’s be a good fit in our group at a lower cap hit then DJ. Could find a lot of success playing with garland. But, won’t have the edge the DJ brought to the team. Or the certainty of being a solid PKer like DJ.

More I think of him he’s more of a mikehyev value replacement actually than a DJ because I’m not sure how he pks and he can play up the line up in a pinch as he had good results being a puck retriever for Pasta when playing up. I do think his forechecking and speed and versatility is what tour management group will target for depth forward pieces.

so maybe if we do move mikehyev we look to add Heinen and find another value replacement for Dak unless Dak signs a more team friendly deal than expected. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Podkolzin?

He requires waivers going into next season so you have to assume he's going to get a good look 

Edited by qwijjibo