[Discussion] Finding the next Dakota Joshua

Just now, qwijjibo said:

He requires waivers going into next season do you have to assume he's going to get a good look 

I don't think he has the soft hands like Joshua. but can definitely throw the body and has a high level shot if he can learn to use it. I'm hoping for the best with this kid, big fan of his game.

Anyone up for Tanner Jeannot?  He's apparently available for trade.  He's bigger than Joshua and 1 year younger, and his 24 goals and 41 points in Nashville (not to mention his 130 pims that year) eclipse anything Joshua has accomplished in the NHL, believe it or not.

7 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Anyone up for Tanner Jeannot?  He's apparently available for trade.  He's bigger than Joshua and 1 year younger, and his 24 goals and 41 points in Nashville (not to mention his 130 pims that year) eclipse anything Joshua has accomplished in the NHL, believe it or not.

I like that idea and he's a good fit on paper. I wonder if there are other issues with him. Tampa doesn't typically lock in young players at a low cap hit only to move on a year later. I wonder if there's something else going on with him? Otherwise, he'd be a great fit.

• Cheers 1

On 5/28/2024 at 10:33 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think he has the soft hands like Joshua. but can definitely throw the body and has a high level shot if he can learn to use it. I'm hoping for the best with this kid, big fan of his game.

I know what you are going to say, but I have a feeling they are looking at Klimovich as a better version of Joshua if his development plan works out.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

I know what you are going to say, but I have a feeling they are looking at Klimovich as a better version of Joshua if his development plan works out.

Then I won't say anything at all 🙃

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

can Klimovich handle himself in a fight? If the club sees him playing that kind of heavy (Joshua) role then he needs to add boxing to his training. Really Podkolzin should be doing boxing too. Love to see both these bigger bodies in our lineup. Big, skilled, fast. And if they could both handle themselves if fights break out then even better. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The more I think about Joshua the more I wonder how much Garland is the guy who drove his points up.  He can PK and has size but I wonder how effective he is at closer to say 4 million and not playing beside Garland?

I hope Karlsson can continue to push himself.  They need efficient contracts

Edited by Goose
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Goose said:

The more I think about Joshua the more I wonder how much Garland is the guy who drove his points up.  He can PK and has size but I wonder how effective he is at closer to say 4 million and not playing beside Garland?

I hope Karlsson can continue to push himself.  They need efficient contracts

Garland was 100% the driver of that line, as long as hes playing alongside someone with some size willing to go to the net (and not hands of stone) that line will produce

On 5/30/2024 at 5:56 PM, HarbularyBattery said:

Garland was 100% the driver of that line, as long as hes playing alongside someone with some size willing to go to the net (and not hands of stone) that line will produce

So... Podkolzin?

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

DJ wasn't DJ last year either. He got a lot of attention and opportunity to succeed. Give Podz that same attention and he'll be a beast. 

I am all in for promoting from within. But are they ready?

If our farm was more developed we wouldn't need to worry about cap space.

4 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

I am all in for promoting from within. But are they ready?

If our farm was more developed we wouldn't need to worry about cap space.

Podz has 137 games under his belt, if he's not ready now, not sure he will be. He was a high pick for a reason, and has shown some very good play. Give him a full year in a defined role and yes I think he can do what DJ did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Podz has 137 games under his belt, if he's not ready now, not sure he will be. He was a high pick for a reason, and has shown some very good play. Give him a full year in a defined role and yes I think he can do what DJ did.

Not arguing your point but " defined role" ? The coaches need to keep him with familiar players to become established. Far too many line juggling.

Just now, snowman955 said:

Not arguing your point but " defined role" ? The coaches need to keep him with familiar players to become established. Far too many line juggling.

yeah, like 3rd line, first forecheker in, that kind of thing. Keep his tasks well defined, even limit his minutes like they did with Hogs to begin with. 

• ThereItIs 2

On 5/27/2024 at 2:05 PM, The Lock said:

Another thought, if we're not thinking too literally on an age an history similar to Joshua, but a player in general who could be like Joshua for us... Toffoli... 😉

Obviously a little more expensive than what would currently be a "nobody", but could have a similar effect.

tyler toffoli doesn't exactly play a tocchet game.. he's kinda slow and blocks almost no shot.. kinda hard to play 82 games and just block 12 shots.. it's as if he's exclusively dodging shots lol and would cost as much if not more than joshua

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tyler toffoli doesn't exactly play a tocchet game.. he's kinda slow and blocks almost no shot.. kinda hard to play 82 games and just block 12 shots.. it's as if he's exclusively dodging shots lol and would cost as much if not more than joshua

I'm of the never say never mentality in this. You have to keep in mind he's playing under different coaches who are probably asking different things from him. Is it really fair to assume he can't play a Tocchet game just because we see him playing a certain style on a couple of other teams? I'm not saying he'd just suddenly change his ways here, but just look at some of our players and how they played for Green and Boudreau and compare that to how they play for Tocchet. You would think some of them were 2 different players.

You're right though that he'd likely be more expensive than Joshua. I believe though I already mentioned that myself. That being said, it's still a possibility if negotiations go south on enough players. Perhaps we can both agree on hoping it doesn't resort to that.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm of the never say never mentality in this. You have to keep in mind he's playing under different coaches who are probably asking different things from him. Is it really fair to assume he can't play a Tocchet game just because we see him playing a certain style on a couple of other teams? I'm not saying he'd just suddenly change his ways here, but just look at some of our players and how they played for Green and Boudreau and compare that to how they play for Tocchet. You would think some of them were 2 different players.

You're right though that he'd likely be more expensive than Joshua. I believe though I already mentioned that myself. That being said, it's still a possibility if negotiations go south on enough players. Perhaps we can both agree on hoping it doesn't resort to that.

i dunno if at this stage of his career he can play a different style. he doesn't like blocking shots period. EP have more block shots the last 2 season than toffoli does his entire career combined

• ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno if at this stage of his career he can play a different style. he doesn't like blocking shots period. EP have more block shots the last 2 season than toffoli does his entire career combined

And Tofu is dirt slow. DJ is fast. DJ is hard to play against. DJ is tough. Tofu isn’t at all the next DJ. 

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

It was a suggestion. You're more than welcome to disagree.

The question was basically who could be another Dakota Joshua and I merely gave the idea that Toffoli could be similar even if the idea is out of left field. I'm thinking in regards to overall potential impact for a year rather than looking for an exact duplicate of Joshua. In no way did I say he should be here nor do I really care if he comes here or not.

And of course no one's going to know if he would change. I know some people like to think they have crystal balls strapped to their butts, but really we can't predict the future. 🙂

Edited by The Lock

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It was a suggestion. You're more than welcome to disagree.

The question was basically who could be another Dakota Joshua and I merely gave the idea that Toffoli could be similar even if the idea is out of left field. I'm thinking in regards to overall potential impact for a year rather than looking for an exact duplicate of Joshua. In no way did I say he should be here nor do I really care if he comes here or not.

And of course no one's going to know if he would change. I know some people like to think they have crystal balls strapped to their butts, but really we can't predict the future. 🙂

it's not as simple as who can be the next joshua. i mean finding a player that's similar to joshua is 1 part of the equation.. the other part is you have to find one that also gels with garland.. just because a player have similar game doesn't necessary mean they'll automatically click. i for one is not oppose to re-signing joshua even at a higher cost.. because that means we have a 4.95mil player that have a very high chance of performing.. imagine we find a cheaper player for 2.5mil.. not only does he not produce well.. on top garland doesn't work with him.. then we have another 4.95mil anchor.. coz it's pretty much given he can't play with miller or ep

• Like 1