[Discussion] Finding the next Dakota Joshua

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Podz has 137 games under his belt, if he's not ready now, not sure he will be. He was a high pick for a reason, and has shown some very good play. Give him a full year in a defined role and yes I think he can do what DJ did.

Agreed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

it's not as simple as who can be the next joshua. i mean finding a player that's similar to joshua is 1 part of the equation.. the other part is you have to find one that also gels with garland.. just because a player have similar game doesn't necessary mean they'll automatically click. i for one is not oppose to re-signing joshua even at a higher cost.. because that means we have a 4.95mil player that have a very high chance of performing.. imagine we find a cheaper player for 2.5mil.. not only does he not produce well.. on top garland doesn't work with him.. then we have another 4.95mil anchor.. coz it's pretty much given he can't play with miller or ep

That's why we should trade Garland  in my opinion. Use his 4.95 mil cap elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

That's why we should trade Garland  in my opinion. Use his 4.95 mil cap elsewhere.

well i dunno about gutting your entire 3rd line.. the player we need to get rid of is mikheyev.. 4.75mil is too much to HOPE we'll score more than 2 goal a season the pace he was on since mid december.. he scored 2 goal in 61 games including the playoff and a perfect stat line in the playoff 0 goals 0 assist 0 points

• Cheers 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

well i dunno about gutting your entire 3rd line.. the player we need to get rid of is mikheyev.. 4.75mil is too much to HOPE we'll score more than 2 goal a season the pace he was on since mid december.. he scored 2 goal in 61 games including the playoff and a perfect stat line in the playoff 0 goals 0 assist 0 points

I get that, but Garland will not have anymore value than he does now. Moving off his contract will bring  back assets that will help us balance our line up. There should be lots of low cost 3rd line players available that can help us.

I don't really look at it like finding the next "Joshua". 

I look at guys like Burr, Garland, Tanev who came up with no pedigree and what they have in common. We need to dredge other leagues for their warriors who process the game quickly.

Bains is a start. Whoever they are I think we will have to be patient they won't be an overnight sensation. If you can get Dak around 3.25 x 3 I think you do it. Guys like him don't grow on trees. You could pay assets for a Jeannot with no guarantee that's going to work out. I'd rather bet on Dak to continue to play at this level. 

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I get that, but Garland will not have anymore value than he does now. Moving off his contract will bring  back assets that will help us balance our line up. There should be lots of low cost 3rd line players available that can help us.

I think if we're going to cash out on a guy Brock makes the most sense interms of return and cap space free'd up. 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think if we're going to cash out on a guy Brock makes the most sense interms of return and cap space free'd up. 

Boeser would fetch a much nicer return than Garland.

Edited by MatchesMalone

7 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

True. We don't have many tradeable players under contract and only a few that are non core pieces. Should be a fascinating off-season.

8 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

If you trade Boeser we’re left with only 2 bonafide top 6 players. Miller and Petey. 
Hoglander hasn’t shown the consistency yet although the 20+ goals help. Lindholm is yet to be signed/replaced. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:21 AM, Viking said:

AJ Greer for a 4th line option maybe, Replacing Lafferty?

I think Greer could even be the next Joshua. Definitely brings some grit to the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 5:26 PM, wai_lai416 said:

it's not as simple as who can be the next joshua. i mean finding a player that's similar to joshua is 1 part of the equation.. the other part is you have to find one that also gels with garland.. just because a player have similar game doesn't necessary mean they'll automatically click. i for one is not oppose to re-signing joshua even at a higher cost.. because that means we have a 4.95mil player that have a very high chance of performing.. imagine we find a cheaper player for 2.5mil.. not only does he not produce well.. on top garland doesn't work with him.. then we have another 4.95mil anchor.. coz it's pretty much given he can't play with miller or ep

Well that's the question that was asked. I don't know what to tell you bud. You don't think you're perhaps overthinking this conversation just a little bit?

I'm for resigning Joshua too. How about we agree on that.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:14 PM, fuzzy said:

It truly depends where you put that money.   The Dickinson's of the league don't always work out.    Aman.   Podz.   Well not sure where we are getting secondary scoring from,  Garland has managed that each season he's been on this team.    And is a great teammate.    Trading him for a second and our cap space ... running a plug group of bottom sixers like Aman, doesn't make it easy on our top six.   Only way they should even consider this, is if they can reel in a guy that makes EP our first line LW or C.    

On 6/6/2024 at 1:31 AM, Hammertime said:

Brock well outperformed his contract and has term left, for sure there would be a ton of interest.     It's too bad MIN isn't ready to go for it, otherwise i'd be all over Matt Boldy.   Someone I was hoping we'd have the chance to draft.    That's the sort of thing that we'd need to get in return.    I'm with @Alflives on this one,  he can be our Rick Middleton.    Definitely think we will treat him like core, and won't break up Miller and Brock.   Why should we?   One of the best lines in the game last season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1