[Proposal] An Offseason to Remember (VAN-CAR + VAN-NYR + VAN-TBL)

Hi y'all!

I just wanted to try my hand at creating an offseason plan that works with our window, and I think I have a decent idea of what I want to see. Let me know what you think!

Trade 1: 

To Carolina - 

Filip Hronek (RFA Rights)

Ilya Mikheyev 

To Vancouver - 

Martin Necas (RFA Rights) 

Jesperi Kotkaniemi 

Dylan Coghlan (RFA Rights) 

Why Carolina does it - Top Pairing RHD to insulate Morrow until Burns falters or leaves, and then they have a wicked 1-2 punch for the next 8+ years. Selling high on Necas to avoid paying him his long term ask, and Mikheyev is a better fit for Carolina than Vancouver. 

Why Vancouver does it - Necas is a zone entry beast and solves a lot of our powerplay issues, and Hronek is a player we can sell high on. Forced to take on Kotkaniemi, but he has a lot of the same attributes that made Lindholm so effective for us. Kotkaniemi has that potential, and Tocchet will at the very least turn him into a formidable 3rd line C. Dylan Coghlan is a younger RHD that can take Juulsen's role from last year while he moves into the lineup full time. 

Trade 2: 

To NYR - 

Nils Hoglander 

To Vancouver -

Braden Schneider (RFA Rights) 

Why New York does it - They probably don't have the cap space to re-sign Kakko and Schneider while also allowing them to grow into future roles. Schneider is going to be stuck behind Trouba and Fox for a long time, and he's too good and too young to make 3-4 million on the bottom pair. Hoglander gives them a dangerous secondary scoring option and helps New York at 5v5 and along the walls, both of which they could use the help on. 

Why Vancouver does it - Hoglander is a great piece and it sucks to give him up, but Schneider is the exact type of piece you want to put next to Quinn Hughes for a decade. We've been interested in him in the past, and I think we can take advantage of a Rangers team in a bit of a rough spot. If we have to add, we add, but this type of deal makes sense for both parties. 

Trade 3: 

To Tampa - 

Jett Woo 

2025 2nd 

[Unsigned prospect]

To Vancouver - 

Tanner Jeannot 

Why Tampa does it - Jeannot hasn't panned out for Tampa in the way they've hoped and John Cooper no longer trusts him in important moments. Selling him now gives them some much needed cap space and also recoup some value. Jett Woo probably fights for a spot out of camp next year and gives him a change of scenery. 

Why Vancouver does it - Jeannot is a low risk option that I see having a great fit next to Necas and Elias Pettersson. He's a physical guy, great on the forecheck (ala Joshua), has decent speed, and doesn't hesitate to shoot or block shots. If he works, he's a solid and cheap fit on the top line. If not, he's a UFA and we don't have to worry too much about the value we gave up.

Free Agent Re-Signings: ($$$xYear) 

- Martin Necas (7.75x8) 

- Nikita Zadorov (5.25x5) *Right in the middle of the two sides contract wants*

- Braden Schneider (3.75x3) *RFA expiry*

- Dakota Joshua (3x5) *Extra term for low AAV*

- Tyler Myers (2.25x3) *Extra term for low AAV*

- Arturs Silovs (1.25x2) *RFA expiry*

- Dylan Coghlan (0.85x1) *RFA expiry*

UFA Signing: 

- Patrick Maroon (1x2)

image.thumb.png.b572d7e595defa6055c0a5e7d1baff3e.png

This puts us at 493k below the cap ceiling with a 22 man roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

The trades are intriguing.  Not a fan of bringing in Maroon or keeping Myers. Otherwise good proposal

I think Myers is a big glue guy for the team. The guys talk quite highly of him. 

For Maroon, I was mainly looking at big hitters for cheap that can alternate games with PDG on the fourth line next year. Other options can be William Carrier, Sammy Blais or Matt Martin. Maroon has great experience to bring to the room so that's ultimately why I picked him. 

Trade 2 is really interesting if they decide to move out Hronek.

I was listening to Harman Dayal talk about Hoagie snd he failed to mention that the biggest concern w his playing time is (imo) linked to his style of play.  He’s not a guy that can pace him self so to speak.  He has to be buzzing hard and that requires a lot of energy.  Tocc even said that’s why his mins are limited to where they are.  If he cant elevate to a top 6 role, selling high and getting Schneider would be great.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I think Myers is a big glue guy for the team. The guys talk quite highly of him. 

For Maroon, I was mainly looking at big hitters for cheap that can alternate games with PDG on the fourth line next year. Other options can be William Carrier, Sammy Blais or Matt Martin. Maroon has great experience to bring to the room so that's ultimately why I picked him. 

I see your point. I just think we can save some cap and have a younger player like Bains, Karlsson, or Podz play that role. 

I like #2 and #3, not really into trading for JK at his full cap hit if the Canes may buy him out.  I would do Hronek for Necas though.

Could also see Schneider be made available when they still need to re-sign Lindgren, Gustafsson, Kakko and their depth, and I'd like to buy Jeannot low too.