[Speculation] Konecny’s next deal (UFA)

In a little over 13 months, forward for the Philadelphia Flyers, Travis Konecny will become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. With Philadelphia already adamant about their desire to extend Konecny, the look of his next contract has come into question. Kevin Kurz of The Athletic mentions that the best extension comparable for Konecny would be the eight-year, $70.4MM extension Timo Meier signed with the New Jersey Devils last offseason. At similar ages and production throughout their careers, Meier’s extension appears to be a good place to start for Konecny’s camp and the Flyers’ brass.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/snapshots-flames-hintz-konecny.html#ref=home

Thought it’s worth posting this for discussion as Konecny may come in around 9mill per after next season.

Great player and highly valuable but salary inflation is crazy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm hoping Brock choses Vancouver for his entire career. 

Depending on his year next year, he might well price himself out of Van.  Another season like this year and he's probably asking $9m, at least

Just now, stawns said:

Depending on his year next year, he might well price himself out of Van.  Another season like this year and he's probably asking $9m, at least

Star Wars Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

maybe, but we stood with him through a lot, he may be willing to do something more team friendly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The Meier comparable is funny, cause it's aged like milk already. Lol. But if Konecny is worth 9mil, then I guess that's roughly Boeser's number. He produced more with a more two way deployment. 52% ozone starts to Konecny's 62%. We can talk extension with Boeser after July 1st. I wonder if we can get him on that 7.5mil deal I wanted to sign him too before his last contract. We are a better team than Philly. So maybe we can get him lower on a "help us contend" contract. I also don't see him deserving to make more than Miller. So 8mil should be the absolute ceiling on a Boeser deal.

• Cheers 1

To me Brock has had one good year.

He is slow compared to most players and every year gets injured.

I would definitely keep him till his contract is up and at tdl get what you can.

Don't think he's the type of player that will play past 33 as his speed is lacking in a game of speed,once he loses a step he is done.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:56 AM, Devron said:

7 x 7 would be a dream 

I think Brock would do $7M x 7-8yrs.  He seems to the loyal family first type of guy.  And the Canucks are like family to him.  

• Like 1