[Speculation] VGK has only 900K of cap space and can not extend Marchessault/Stephenson

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Mantha-was a $5.7 mill guy last year

Amadila-              .762,500

Carrier                1.4 mill

Amadio and Carrier could be had for probably a combined $4M to $4.5M.  Makes us realize that Joshua is replaceable.  I really can't see us signing Joshua for the nearly $4M AAV that some analysts are predicting.  Joshua walks IMO.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Amadio and Carrier could be had for probably a combined $4M to $4.5M.  Makes us realize that Joshua is replaceable.  I really can't see us signing Joshua for the nearly $4M AAV that some analysts are predicting.  Joshua walks IMO.

I can't see anyone signing him for that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I can't see anyone signing him for that. 

32 points in 68 games translates to about 39 points over 82 games.  Generally forwards get about $1M for every 10 points that they put up.  With his forechecking ability, speed, strength, and PK ability, he will probably get a deal in or around $4M AAV.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

32 points in 68 games translates to about 39 points over 82 games.  Generally forwards get about $1M for every 10 points that they put up.  With his forechecking ability, speed, strength, and PK ability, he will probably get a deal in or around $4M AAV.

which he did once. He's 28, so there's the declining risk if he gets a longer term deal. No way a GM gives him over 4 imo. I can even see us having a convo on day 2 or 3 of free agency wondering why no one has signed him yet.

Given his playing history, age, etc. I could see him being offered a 2 or 3 year deal around 3 mil. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

which he did once. He's 28, so there's the declining risk if he gets a longer term deal. No way a GM gives him over 4 imo. I can even see us having a convo on day 2 or 3 of free agency wondering why no one has signed him yet.

Given his playing history, age, etc. I could see him being offered a 2 or 3 year deal around 3 mil. 

Ilya Mikheyev had a career high 32 points in 53 games before signing his $4.75M deal. 

The TYPE of player Joshua is, as well as his production puts him well within reach of $4M AAV.  His 8 points in 13 games in the playoffs doesn't hurt his bargaining position either.  Will he hit $4M?  Maybe... over $4M?  I doubt it.  $3.75ish?  I'd bet good money on it.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You mean how they approved of the contract and then retroactively went back and told us it wasn't acceptable?  Imagine if contracts worked that way in the real world... oh!  That mortgage you signed just before interest rates went sky rocketing?  Yeah... that isn't fair for everyone else, so we're gonna just add on an extra mortgage rate avoidance fee so you pay about the same as everyone else... even though you signed that contract before changes were made.

And if you were told, you can sign this now but the rules are changing and will be applied retroactively who is to blame, you or the agency that clearly stated what the consequences would be. 
‘The Luongo recapture penalty is on us, we need to move past it, it is done. Now we are being penalized for Benning’s incompetence not Gillis’.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

And if you were told, you can sign this now but the rules are changing and will be applied retroactively who is to blame, you or the agency that clearly stated what the consequences would be. 
‘The Luongo recapture penalty is on us, we need to move past it, it is done. Now we are being penalized for Benning’s incompetence not Gillis’.

Where exactly did you read about how the Canucks were warned of the penalty of cap circumvention PRIOR to the contract being signed?

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

This is what I can find so far:

Gillis on the Luongo cap recapture penalty - "We were not warned in advance"

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ilya Mikheyev had a career high 32 points in 53 games before signing his $4.75M deal. 

The TYPE of player Joshua is, as well as his production puts him well within reach of $4M AAV.  His 8 points in 13 games in the playoffs doesn't hurt his bargaining position either.  Will he hit $4M?  Maybe... over $4M?  I doubt it.  $3.75ish?  I'd bet good money on it.

I think the mik contract complicates our ability to negotiate a fair cap with Joshua too.

i have this feeling the only way we are able to sign Joshua is if mik is traded or bought out. 

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I think the mik contract complicates our ability to negotiate a fair cap with Joshua too.

i have this feeling the only way we are able to sign Joshua is if mik is traded or bought out. 

Yup.  I mean Mik was on pace for 50 points over 82 games, but the contract AAV reflects that.  A 40 point pace over 82 games surely would be in the $3.75M+ range then.  There really isn't anythinig Mik does that Joshua can't do.  Arguably Joshua is a more complete player than Mik, and that's why I have Joshua pushing close to $4M.

• Huggy Bear 1

NHL Rumors: 6 Teams Linked to Chandler Stephenson 

Michael DeRosa Thursday, May 30, 2024  Vegas Golden Knights

Chandler Stephenson is one of the top free agent forwards who could hit the market this offseason. The Vegas Golden Knights are going to try to get him re-signed, but there is a good chance that he will hit the market, as he is due for a big raise.

Due to this, NHL insider David Pagnotta named the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, and Nashville Predators as six clubs who could look to sign Stephenson this offseason.

There is no question that each of these teams could use a player like Stephenson in their top six. This is because he is not only an impactful player offensively, but he is also very solid defensively. Because of this, he would work in all situations for these clubs. 

However, given his importance to the Golden Knights, there is no question that they should work hard to get him re-signed. It will be hard to replace him if he walks, but time will tell if they can work things out financially. 

Stephenson, 30, appeared in 75 games this season with the Golden Knights, where he had 16 goals to go along with 51 points. He also had back-to-back 60-plus point seasons in 2021-22 and 2022-23.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/nhl-rumors-6-teams-linked-to-chandler.html

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Chandler Stephenson is one of the top free agent forwards who could hit the market this offseason. The Vegas Golden Knights are going to try to get him re-signed, but there is a good chance that he will hit the market, as he is due for a big raise.

Due to this, NHL insider David Pagnotta named the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, and Nashville Predators as six clubs who could look to sign Stephenson this offseason.

There is no question that each of these teams could use a player like Stephenson in their top six. This is because he is not only an impactful player offensively, but he is also very solid defensively. Because of this, he would work in all situations for these clubs. 

However, given his importance to the Golden Knights, there is no question that they should work hard to get him re-signed. It will be hard to replace him if he walks, but time will tell if they can work things out financially. 

Stephenson, 30, appeared in 75 games this season with the Golden Knights, where he had 16 goals to go along with 51 points. He also had back-to-back 60-plus point seasons in 2021-22 and 2022-23.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/nhl-rumors-6-teams-linked-to-chandler.html

Seems like they’re determined to build down the center. They obviously tried to do that with Horvat but the numbers didn’t work. Then Lindholm but again the numbers probably won’t work.

They probably want a center in the 6.5-7 mil range. Stephenson could definitely fit that.

Makes sense since strength down the middle is how Rutherford built a lot of his teams.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yup Stephenson is the guy I thought would be a fantastic fit should we not be able to bring Lindholm back on a reasonable deal.  Stephenson could probably be signed around $6M to $6.5M.  Would be better if he was a RH centre though.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup Stephenson is the guy I thought would be a fantastic fit should we not be able to bring Lindholm back on a reasonable deal.  Stephenson could probably be signed around $6M to $6.5M.  Would be better if he was a RH centre though.

Yes this is the range 

he is BOS plan B 

TO needs non forwards 

we are a great fit 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Where exactly did you read about how the Canucks were warned of the penalty of cap circumvention PRIOR to the contract being signed?

That was 2009, I don’t have the time to do a deep dive on internet archives, what I remember was prior to signing, investigations were ongoing inJuly over Hosea and I believe Kovalchuk’s contracts being cap circumvention. The league sent a warning at that time and an ultimatum to the PA that these rules would be changing because they was clear cap circumvention.  The Luongo contract was signed in September. 
Anyway, it is done, it is off the books. Time to move on. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That was 2009, I don’t have the time to do a deep dive on internet archives, what I remember was prior to signing, investigations were ongoing inJuly over Hosea and I believe Kovalchuk’s contracts being cap circumvention. The league sent a warning at that time and an ultimatum to the PA that these rules would be changing because they was clear cap circumvention.  The Luongo contract was signed in September. 
Anyway, it is done, it is off the books. Time to move on. 

image.gif.121a778d173cbf8e32d1b908704e6323.gif

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like they’re determined to build down the center. They obviously tried to do that with Horvat but the numbers didn’t work. Then Lindholm but again the numbers probably won’t work.

They probably want a center in the 6.5-7 mil range. Stephenson could definitely fit that.

Makes sense since strength down the middle is how Rutherford built a lot of his teams.

Jason Bukala was thinking he could be a target of ours and I could see it too same reasoning as you have.

He does bring speed down the middle.

if we land an ehlers or necas for Petey

have Miller Boeser

stephenson-garland

we then have three pretty solid Duos.

Stephenson would be a fantastic add. 

I thought the amount of UFAs we had this offseason would be a problem, but as time passes it looks like the flexibility could be a huge advantage as well.  Can’t wait for the offseason to begin.

That’s why I was so happy when they locked themselves into Hertl last trade deadline. Taking up the cap space and potentially letting better players go in Marchessault and Stephenson! I’d love Stephenson here if we don’t bring Lindholm back!

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Jason Bukala was thinking he could be a target of ours and I could see it too same reasoning as you have.

He does bring speed down the middle.

if we land an ehlers or necas for Petey

have Miller Boeser

stephenson-garland

we then have three pretty solid Duos.

Could happen but Garland won’t be here. 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

You think we are trading him?

Not me but the Empties. Every Empty I make sees Garland traded. Garland has improved his trade value. There will be a club that sees him as a top six winger. They will give him a chance on the pk too. We need faster wingers who can drive back the opponent’s D on the rush. Mik, when healthy, can do that. Garland can’t. So Garlsnd out and a faster winger in. Maybe Pods plays those minutes? We save 4 per on the cap too. He’s bigger and faster. He has scored before and could break out with 20 while being harder to play against than Garland. 
How about down the middle? 

Petey

Miller

Lindholm

Thsts friggin’ super centre depth. Fill in the wingers with speed, like Mik fast. And have a couple guys to score and be smart like Brock. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not me but the Empties. Every Empty I make sees Garland traded. Garland has improved his trade value. There will be a club that sees him as a top six winger. They will give him a chance on the pk too. We need faster wingers who can drive back the opponent’s D on the rush. Mik, when healthy, can do that. Garland can’t. So Garlsnd out and a faster winger in. Maybe Pods plays those minutes? We save 4 per on the cap too. He’s bigger and faster. He has scored before and could break out with 20 while being harder to play against than Garland. 
How about down the middle? 

Petey

Miller

Lindholm

Thsts friggin’ super centre depth. Fill in the wingers with speed, like Mik fast. And have a couple guys to score and be smart like Brock. 

On the flip side if we lose Joshua to FA, we could move Garland up to play with JTM and BB6. Like you said, someone may want him to be top 6…including us. He’d obviously have to play LW but it’s not out of the question depending what occurs in offseason 

TO CHI
Milky + podz

TO VAN
CHI for 2024 CH 2nd

= - 5.75 cap hit 

= 23.778+5.75 = 29.6

TO VGK

Hogz

Woo

Klimovich

TO VAN

Theadore (5.2)