[Speculation] Free Agent Focus: Vancouver Canucks

The strategy around our UFAs seems fairly clear to me.  Give them a fair offer, but stay active and let them test the UFA waters.  

No one good is committing 6x6 to Zadorov.  Nor is Lindholm getting 8+ and I doubt Joshua gets 4+ or whatever, either.  No need to “Benning” it and throw out retirement / sweetheart deals for good but not core pieces.  

Hronek is a different puzzle as he’s RFA.  Need to be a bit more proactive.  That’s more of a doozie IMO especially with guys like Pesce, Roy and Demelo possibly out there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Drance(!) also made a good point that all these UFAs are poised for raises after their time in Van.  The takeaway?  There could be others thinking, “that could be me” willing to go cheap and short to boost their value.  

I like the idea of keeping any and all of our UFAs.. but only at the right price.  OTOH we all know JR isn’t a patient sort with trades, so it'll be fascinating to see how it all shakes down.

Excellent point. Guys coming here will get the opportunity to build their value playing with elite players. And our elite players don’t cheat the game like other guys do around the league. Like the Haberdoodles, Deadwings, and Stupid Sabres. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The strategy around our UFAs seems fairly clear to me.  Give them a fair offer, but stay active and let them test the UFA waters.  

No one good is committing 6x6 to Zadorov.  Nor is Lindholm getting 8+ and I doubt Joshua gets 4+ or whatever, either.  No need to “Benning” it and throw out retirement / sweetheart deals for good but not core pieces.  

Hronek is a different puzzle as he’s RFA.  Need to be a bit more proactive.  That’s more of a doozie IMO especially with guys like Pesce, Roy and Demelo possibly out there.

I think it's best to qualify Hronek, and see what the cost would be to sign someone like Pesce, Roy, or Demelo.  From what I recall, arbitration hearings don't happen until a few weeks after free agency opens, so we would technically be able to land a top tier RHD (if the price is too high on Hronek)... then simply flip Hronek to another team to recoup whatever assets we need.

• Like 2

To VGK

Hoglander 

Podkolzin

2025 1st

= +2.1

To VAN

Shea Theadore (5.2)

Nic Roy (3)

Barbashev (5)

Rights To Stephen Chandler sign (5x5)

= - 18.2

To CHI

Milkheyev

Woo

Klimovich

To VAN

CHI 6th

= + 4.75

Total Change = 23.7-11.35 = 12.25

Myers 2.75

Hronek 7.85 x 8

Silovs 1.00

CAP Space = 650 K

Chandler Petey Barbie

Letereemaki Miller Brock

Suter Roy Garland

PDG Aman Bains

Hughes Hronek

Theadore Myers

Soucy Juulsen

Demko 

Silovs

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

To VGK

Hoglander 

Podkolzin

2025 1st

= +2.1

To VAN

Shea Theadore (5.2)

Nic Roy (3)

Barbashev (5)

Rights To Stephen Chandler sign (5x5)

= - 18.2

To CHI

Milkheyev

Woo

Klimovich

To VAN

CHI 6th

= + 4.75

Total Change = 23.7-11.35 = 12.25

Myers 2.75

Hronek 7.85 x 8

Silovs 1.00

CAP Space = 650 K

Chandler Petey Barbie

Letereemaki Miller Brock

Suter Roy Garland

PDG Aman Bains

Hughes Hronek

Theadore Myers

Soucy Juulsen

Demko 

Silovs

I’m loathe to give away yet another first round draft pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm with you in this loathing to part with our 2025 1st round pick.

Apparently the 2025 entry draft is shaping up to be a deep draft with good players said to be available throughout the first round.

I would want to be active in this draft.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not interested in giving any 2025 picks away, It's suppose to be a deep and strong draft class ...unlike this season.

I believe it was deep in Defensemen and Center's...which we'll need to add to our prospect pool IMO

We have all our picks available in 2025 except in the 3rd round. (which went to Canadiens as part of the Desmith trade)  

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

Lindholm at around 7 is a no-brainer for me

agreed on zadorov and joshua

i think hronek we have to re-sign. if hughes is ever injured, we need 1 defenseman who can run a powerplay.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

would you take Lindy at 8, for a Mik buyout plus Joshua walking? 

We were playing great earlier in the  year without EL and I don't agree with spending that on him, not because I don't think he's worth it, but because we don't need three high paid center's as much as we need another high end winger.  And yes we need to keep the size. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

We were playing great earlier in the  year without EL and I don't agree with spending that on him, not because I don't think he's worth it, but because we don't need three high paid center's as much as we need another high end winger.  And yes we need to keep the size. 

I would do that at 7. Right hand centers are incredibly valuable. Mik and Joshua are easier to replace.

Edited by fuzzy
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'd be happy inking Guentzel and re-up Bluegar too 

Posted (edited)

Honestly, with all the free agent talk. How we feeling about fixing a mistake and bringing Chatfield back? Not a sexy name like Pesce or Dillon or anything.  But I think he can be a good combo piece behind Myers. Assuming we bring Myers back. He's not as unproven as Juulsen. Won't cost more than Soucy or Myers. I think Carolina probably retains him cause he's cheaper than Pesce and they seem cheap. But if he hits the market I'd kick tires on him for sure. I never liked that we got rid of him to begin with.

Edited by JeremyCuddles

19 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Honestly, with all the free agent talk. How we feeling about fixing a mistake and bringing Chatfield back? Not a sexy name like Pesce or Dillon or anything.  But I think he can be a good combo piece alongside Myers. Assuming we bring Myers back. He's not as unproven as Juulsen. Won't cost more than Soucy or Myers. I think Carolina probably retains him cause he's cheaper than Pesce and they seem cheap. But if he hits the market I'd kick tires on him for sure. I never liked that we got rid of him to begin with.

He'd be a good pick up.

Seemed to fit in with the guys, when he was here before.

I also wonder if the team makes an offer to Troy Stecher as well. coming off of leg issues, so might take a low, low offer to come 'home' and rebuild the career.

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

He'd be a good pick up.

I also wonder if the team makes an offer to Troy Stecher as well. coming off of leg issues, so might take a low, low offer to come 'home' and rebuild the career.

Would love a Tony Stretcher return. Not sure if it would work roster spot wise. But yeah, would be nice to see him in the blue and green again.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

He'd be a good pick up.

Chatfield at decent price could be a nice placeholder for Willander. I would pass on Stecher. He's a character guy but too small for the defence.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I would do that at 7. Right hand centers are incredibly valuable. Mik and Joshua are easier to replace.

We just can't have it all and I think wing us a greater need. 

I recall watching a Carolina/Rangers game and the commentators noting that Chatfield has solidified himself in their top 4. Whether the numbers back it up, I’m not sure. But it suggested to me that Chatfield’s emergence is what has made Pesce expendable. 

14 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

We just can't have it all and I think wing us a greater need. 

Without question, we need wingers. However, good right hand centers are harder to find. 

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea, unfortunately for us. We do have the cap space but I bet Boston gets close to 9 mil to get him.

Who are you eliminating so we have cap?  We can't afford everyone.