[Speculation] Free Agent Focus: Vancouver Canucks

I’m interested to see what WSH does. They’ll have a ton of LTIR to use between Backstrom and Oshie, and between Ovy still performing and them squeaking into the playoffs, I doubt they will look to start the rebuild this offseason. Im curious as to who will end up signing there.

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

The more I look at the numbers, the more I think we walk from Joshua.  I believe PA/JR talked about finding the next Dakota Joshua... perhaps foreshadowing what they expect to happen.

I expect this will be the case. DJ needs to hit a home run on this deal, can't see him ever being this in demand again (especially given his age and track record)

• ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

Drance(!) also made a good point that all these UFAs are poised for raises after their time in Van.  The takeaway?  There could be others thinking, “that could be me” willing to go cheap and short to boost their value.  

I like the idea of keeping any and all of our UFAs.. but only at the right price.  OTOH we all know JR isn’t a patient sort with trades, so it'll be fascinating to see how it all shakes down.

I see Mgmt pulling of some surprising moves, including holding tight on their offers and pivoting to the next oprion if they don't get the response they want.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, fuzzy said:

2 of Garland, Mikheyev, Joshua

Although Garland played well this year I think it might be worth selling high on him. Would rather have Joshua back and his size. Garland is good for roughly 45-55 points a year. Great third line production but he is essentially paid like a second liner. 

If we can somehow move Garland and Mikheyev and see-sign Lindholm/Joshua/Zadorav I would consider that a win and a move in the right direction.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Next man up  - sign Blueger + Myers, 

Suter Miller Boeser

MIkheyev Pettersson Hoglander

Bains Blueger Garland 

Podkolzin Karlsson Lafferty 

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Pettersson Woo  

Demko

Silovs 

Edited by Rypien-Punch

Enough with retread Tanev!  Might as well bring back Markstrom and Toffoli too!  Come on people.  He's a puck eating defencemen.... Got hurt in tonights game.  He's passive... Maybe the best passive defender in the league but we don't want passive.

Tocc wants aggressive skate forward attack defenders.  That's not Tanev.  Let him go.  There are other choices out there more suited to THIS rendition of the Canucks.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

If Toronto can clear some cap I could see them spend big on Zads.

Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing? 😆 I still hope he stays, though I know about the cap. Still; We have no one as intimidating as he..

Edited by Rip The Mesh

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Enough with retread Tanev!  Might as well bring back Markstrom and Toffoli too!  Come on people.  He's a puck eating defencemen.... Got hurt in tonights game.  He's passive... Maybe the best passive defender in the league but we don't want passive.

Tocc wants aggressive skate forward attack defenders.  That's not Tanev.  Let him go.  There are other choices out there more suited to THIS rendition of the Canucks.  

That's it H&P...you tell 'em!  We're not taking any more passive defencemen here, NEVER AGAIN!!  

b48903856993356c15f78421d73ecc2c.gif.6d867d872364c5999f2cf02c121111bf.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fuzzy said:

I think if you have a chance to move off his contract and receive value you have to do it. Garland's value will never be higher. He's a good player but an irregular fit on this team. He's small, doesn't  kill penalties, has no pp value, doesn't fit in the top 6, and is overpriced for the bottom 6.

He is excellent value and drives offence from a third line which was a big part of our recipe for success.

It isn’t 1980 anymore where teams have two scoring lines, a checking line, and a 4th line of goons who could barely skate.

Garland has the compete that Tocchet is always talking about, he is a perfect fit.  Speed and hard forechecking.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Bains Blueger Garland 

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Pettersson Woo  

Demko

Silovs 

lol so you plan on siting on 15+mil cap space with this line up? with juusen pettersson woo karlsson lafferty podkolzin hoglander bain silovs all making 1.1mil and below?

3 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Bains Blueger Garland 

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Pettersson Woo  

Demko

Silovs 

That lineup is terrifying, and not in a good way. You’re saving a lot of money here, but this team finishes no higher than 5 th in the Pacific. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Bains Blueger Garland 

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Pettersson Woo  

Demko

Silovs 

umm… if we wanted to tank, wouldn’t we have done it when there is an amazing BC born talent available at #1 like last year and this year?

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I can see them letting Myers and Joshua walk, but Garland? Allvin would have to be out of his mind to do that now. You'd sell Garland if you want the team to rebuild, kinda like what Arizona did.

hmmm....

Not necessarily.... If you need money to improve else where, or get a great return, you may consider pulling the trigger on a $5M 3rd line player...

A year ago we couldn't give him away and folks were talking about sweeteners... He will never have a higher value in a trade than now...

He has been more than stellar, but $ likely needs to be found somewhere, and somebody will pay the price... 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, Artemus said:

I'm with you in this loathing to part with our 2025 1st round pick.

Apparently the 2025 entry draft is shaping up to be a deep draft with good players said to be available throughout the first round.

I would want to be active in this draft.

Yep would be good, but on the other hand, management knows that 1st rd picks can be more valuable than normal because of it... JR didn't hang around and used lots of picks... time will tell if Allvin is different... 

Wouldn't be surprised to see the 1st in play...We are in a win now mode...

• Like 1

Sounds like most of the player's with contracts up are chasing the bag. Hronek, Zadorov, and Joshua. LIndholm probably wants 7+ at least. Although I'd pretty comfortably give him 7x7m but I dunno. He doesn't seem to gel as well with Petey as we'd like. I am still of the mindset of moving Miller to the wing and play Lindholm with Miller and Boeser. But that still leaves a gaping hole on the 2nd line. Petey can't keep playing with 3rd liners.

23 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sounds like most of the player's with contracts up are chasing the bag. Hronek, Zadorov, and Joshua. LIndholm probably wants 7+ at least. Although I'd pretty comfortably give him 7x7m but I dunno. He doesn't seem to gel as well with Petey as we'd like. I am still of the mindset of moving Miller to the wing and play Lindholm with Miller and Boeser. But that still leaves a gaping hole on the 2nd line. Petey can't keep playing with 3rd liners.

Pettersson was playing injured the entire time Lindholm was a Canuck. They’ll be fine together next season. 

• Upvote 1

I think this off season is less about what “we” want and far more about who really wants to be here. Many of our free agents have earned a hefty raise and we simply can’t afford all of them. We have a couple weaker areas and lots of improvements to make. The only guarantee I see is Silovs taking the backup role over. Hronek, Zadorov, Myers, Cole…at the right prices I would love to keep them all. Hronek played a part in the Hughes coming out larty we watched this year and the other 3 were beasts that the other team didn’t want to deal with. We can’t overpay like we used to all the time. A million here and there means the difference between keeping one of Lindholm or Joshua or losing both. Lets see who will shave a couple dollars off to build a contender. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Bains Blueger Garland 

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Pettersson Woo  

Demko

Silovs 

That might be the worst possible lineup they could make.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Pettersson was playing injured the entire time Lindholm was a Canuck. They’ll be fine together next season. 

Quite possibly. We'll see if we can even bring him back. Miller seems to like him a lot. Lindholm plays exactly how you want in a Tocchet system.

• Like 2