[Proposal] Swing for the Fences and Take a Chance on the Finn

Posted (edited)

Talking about Mr. Fortnite Patrik Laine. 

• Petey gets his all star winger. Worst case scenario, Laine doesn't work out, he's on LTIR or off the book in 2 years at 6.65m per year. Best case scenario, we have Teemu Selanne 2.0 on our second line. He hits 40+ goals and Petey hits 100+ points. I can't help but dream of Petey and Laine together. We have to give up at least Hoglander (plus potentially a 2nd rounder / picks) to buy low on Laine.
  • Mikheyev's defensive conscience and puck retrieval plus Petey's playmaking abilities balance perfectly with Laine's offense and shoot first mindset. Petey and Laine work with the same sports therapist and become mentally strong together. 
  • We trade Hronek as we can't afford his 7+ million request. He goes back to Detroit and we get a few picks to restock our cupboards. We go hard after Matt Roy, an absolute stud who LA can't afford to keep. 
  • Podz is also unfortunately the odd man out as he doesn't PK, seems to have stagnated. In return, another big bodied buy-low candidate in Tanner Jeannot. Tampa frees up some cap space and gets a younger player to work with. 
  • Chaos Giraffe, Dakota Joshua and Bluegs all come back on decent contracts. Dillon and Edmundson are the two big bodied vets that replace Zadorov and Ian Cole. 

image.png.fbd0298c854d147b36b3cd7551543be0.png

image.png.f6e9d893a5bfea47e5f1a280a06a2a23.png

🤧

Edited by NHLer

Nope, don't want Laine's one-dimensional play.
Also the lack of depth is concerning - Mikheyev's slumping, Petey hopefully rebounds and Laine's going through his own issues, and we expect them to be a full-fledged second line?  Jeannot's also a shell of his former self and I'd rather not bank on him returning to his Nashville form, esp. when we're trading a cheaper asset like Podkolzin which could also have great value for a cap-strapped team like TB.  Finally, who runs our PP2?  Behind Hughes I'm not sure I could see any of these guys effectively be the quarterback.  Soucy/ Edmundson/ Dillon (the latter two I could see as Cole and Zadorov replacements btw) don't fit the role, and Matt Roy, while a good even-strength partner for Hughes, also isn't cut out for the role, nor is Myers.  I'd rather we not do our latter forward trades (esp. not for Laine) and save some of the money to bolster the back end offensively.

Not sure about the fit.  Canuck’s identity is be a defensively staunch, hard to play against team w/o the puck.  Not sure Laine has that mindset.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Goose said:

Not sure about the fit.  Canuck’s identity is be a defensively staunch, hard to play against team w/o the puck.  Not sure Laine has that mindset.  

Moligny was able to work under a Jacque Lemaire system (I *think* he won a cup with that Lemaire coached team).  But then again, Alex was that good (elite) at his peak.

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Moligny was able to work under a Jacque Lemaire system (I *think* he won a cup with that Lemaire coached team).  But then again, Alex was that good (elite) at his peak.

Sure, the flip side is Laine out scores his defensive deficiencies but in critical moments of a game do you really want to be worried about having your top players out on the ice?  While I definitely see the need to add some more offensive punch, I like the current Canucks team identity to committed 2 way play.  Everyone is on the same page and you cant have passengers.  Look at what Boeser was able to accomplish being committed to the type of athlete and defensive mindset Tocc’s system demands.  Personally, those are the types of players to target.  Continue to forge that identity w your top players 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NHLer said:

No to Vanderhoek 

Story of my life haha.

I don't see a scenario where Hronek is dealt. If that day did come this off season it would not be to Detroit.

Vancouver will utilize the modest caphits of Hoglander and Podkolzin to fill out their roster after the team either has to give raises for returnees or new players in Free Agency.

For me none of those three trade scenarios make sense.

Thanks