[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

Tyler Myers Agent: Talks Encouraging, But Canucks Have “Other Priorities”

Dave Litman Wednesday, May 29, 2024 Vancouver Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks have some important business to take care of this offseason, with a number of big names hitting the free agent market. One of the "biggest", at least from a physical standpoint, is 6'8" defenseman Tyler Myers. His 5-year, $30 million contract is up, but despite reports of real optimism that something gets done, his agent knows that he isn't the team's top priority at this point. 

Myers' agent, JP Barry, spoke with Canucks insiders Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor on Wednesday. There are contract talks ongoing, but "the team needs to get together and have a plan," says Barry.

"I don't think we're first in line, so we'll have to see what happens here."

Myers, with a house in Kelowna, doesn't want to go anywhere, and he and Barry spoke to the Canucks even before the end of the season about his desire to re-up with the team. He loves the city and the coaching staff. 

The big right-shot d-man had a nice season in Vancouver, despite playing a couple of minutes less per game than in previous seasons. He notched 29 points and a career-best plus/minus rating of +16. He handed out 110 hits and blocked 136 shots. 

With 11 free agents from among those players who participated in the playoffs, those other "priorities" that Barry spoke of include pending UFAs Elias Lindholm and Dakota Joshua at forward, Nikita Zadorov and Ian Cole on defense, along with some pretty important RFAs like d-man Filip Hronek and goaltender Arturs Silovs.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/tyler-myers-agent-talks-encouraging-but.html

The team has a plan, Barry, you assbagger.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dk how do you explain how bad the entire team was defensively then?  Did the lightbulb come on for everyone?  You can't compete against the best players and coaches in the world without some kind of defensive system

I agree. The defensive systems under Green and Boudreau were trash. A good system fixes alot of issues an coaches players up. As for the light bulb coming on... there were only 2 holdovers from the previous coaches ( Hughes & Myers). The other lighbulbs got replaced...lol 

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

When you do a puzzle, what pieces do you do first?   Probably the edges, because they are the easiest and they give you some idea of the scope of the overall picture

I wouldn't think of it that way to begin with. I'd be looking at securing my elite and high producing players first, then filling out the rest. The talent pool options are hardest and most limited at the top, there's lots of middle 6, bottom line, bottom pair, kids from Abby, etc. once the core pieces are in place.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

Tyler Myers Agent: Talks Encouraging, But Canucks Have “Other Priorities”

Dave Litman Wednesday, May 29, 2024 Vancouver Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks have some important business to take care of this offseason, with a number of big names hitting the free agent market. One of the "biggest", at least from a physical standpoint, is 6'8" defenseman Tyler Myers. His 5-year, $30 million contract is up, but despite reports of real optimism that something gets done, his agent knows that he isn't the team's top priority at this point. 

Myers' agent, JP Barry, spoke with Canucks insiders Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor on Wednesday. There are contract talks ongoing, but "the team needs to get together and have a plan," says Barry.

"I don't think we're first in line, so we'll have to see what happens here."

Myers, with a house in Kelowna, doesn't want to go anywhere, and he and Barry spoke to the Canucks even before the end of the season about his desire to re-up with the team. He loves the city and the coaching staff. 

The big right-shot d-man had a nice season in Vancouver, despite playing a couple of minutes less per game than in previous seasons. He notched 29 points and a career-best plus/minus rating of +16. He handed out 110 hits and blocked 136 shots. 

With 11 free agents from among those players who participated in the playoffs, those other "priorities" that Barry spoke of include pending UFAs Elias Lindholm and Dakota Joshua at forward, Nikita Zadorov and Ian Cole on defense, along with some pretty important RFAs like d-man Filip Hronek and goaltender Arturs Silovs.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/tyler-myers-agent-talks-encouraging-but.html

I'm glad to see that he is not first in line. Sort out Lindholm and Hronek then go from there. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

he is an assbagger, but he's also correct. We don't know the internal convo's that have taken place, do they know if Lindy is staying? whats Zad's #, etc. And he clearly hasn't been let in on any of that yet.

Just now, fuzzy said:

I agree. The defensive systems under Green and Boudreau were trash. A good system fixes alot of issues an coaches players up. As for the light bulb coming on... there were only 2 holdovers from the previous coaches ( Hughes & Myers). The other lighbulbs got replaced...lol 

Green was good, up until the beginning of his last stretch where, for whatever reason, the players stopped playing for him.  In the playoff bubble, they were very good defensively and they looked like they were on the fast track to gooc things........then TG lost the room and the wheels fell off

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Looks solid to me........moving the puck well, skating with the puck, physical, good defense.  

What's with your take on OEL?  Bitterness?

OEL @ $7M is likely the issue most have had... having Soucy playing OELs position @ $3M is a better allocation of the money... Even Zadorov @ $4.5-5M would be a better allocation despite the penalty...

And I was never a OEL hater... He had a good season on the Myers pairing, but at way too much money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Green was good, up until the beginning of his last stretch where, for whatever reason, the players stopped playing for him.  In the playoff bubble, they were very good defensively and they looked like they were on the fast track to gooc things........then TG lost the room and the wheels fell off

Weird part was, after the bubble players were glowing about Green, seemed like the exit interviews convinced J.B. to extend Green---then just a few months later it was all over.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Could PA flip Myers’ and Zadorov’s cap allocation from last seas to their new contracts? 
Hughes, ?

Hronek, Zadorov

Soucy, Myers

Juulsson 

Need a partner for Hughes though. 

Pretty much, right now we're looking to keep a similar D to last year minus one veteran (Cole) and that lack of depth will show eventually, but you could argue Zadorov, Hronek (hopefully) and Juulsen will be better. 

I'd give Myers 3M, Zadorov hopefully we can keep at 5.25M or thereabouts and Hronek will cost us big bucks for sure. If Hronek is asking for 8M I'd be more than happy to flip him for a good player/picks and sign Pesce if he's available for say 6M.

You've got to think Hronek could fetch us a 1st + 2nd + prospect, or decent young player.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Weird part was, after the bubble players were glowing about Green, seemed like the exit interviews convinced J.B. to extend Green---then just a few months later it was all over.

It fell apart in a hurry, that's for sure.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty much, right now we're looking to keep a similar D to last year minus one veteran (Cole) and that lack of depth will show eventually, but you could argue Zadorov, Hronek (hopefully) and Juulsen will be better. 

I'd give Myers 3M, Zadorov hopefully we can keep at 5.25M or thereabouts and Hronek will cost us big bucks for sure. If Hronek is asking for 8M I'd be more than happy to flip him for a good player/picks and sign Pesce if he's available for say 6M.

You've got to think Hronek could fetch us a 1st + 2nd + prospect, or decent young player.

I tend to think a Hronek deal would be more if a hockey trade.......though they could use picks and prospects for another deal to get a rhd

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I tend to think a Hronek deal would be more if a hockey trade.......though they could use picks and prospects for another deal to get a rhd

Similar to Horvat > Hronek...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

this is what I was getting at above. We don't know if this kind of move is in the cards (I suspect it is). If the decision has been made to move Hronek, we would certainly be looking for a top 6 winger, e.g. fit for Petey or some other core piece. Might even be an RFA. You can't start handing out lower down the lineup contracts until you know these details, unless the lower level deal is really really low.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Similar to Horvat > Hronek...

Something like that is definitely a strong possibility.  I think a lot of people expected that kind of outcome from the deal to get Hronek when looking at his contract........I think flipping him was always a very real possibility.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers' agent, JP Barry, spoke with Canucks insiders Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor on Wednesday. There are contract talks ongoing, but "the team needs to get together and have a plan," says Barry.

I took that comment differently than you did

I think he was just conveying what management had told him about negotiating

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

this is what I was getting at above. We don't know if this kind of move is in the cards (I suspect it is). If the decision has been made to move Hronek, we would certainly be looking for a top 6 winger, e.g. fit for Petey or some other core piece. Might even be an RFA. You can't start handing out lower down the lineup contracts until you know these details, unless the lower level deal is really really low.

I think Myers is back one way or the other, so I feel like getting that out of the way first is the way it might go.  Get one under your belt kind of thing.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Horvat was at a career high type of season (I think at a 50 goal pace).  Can't help but think that inflated his value.

It would have... 

He was good at Vancouver, but the $ he asked for was above, what they could fit into their plans... they did offer him a contract.

I'd say Horvat in the bumper position would likely have sorted our PP problems... And he was rarely injured, which matters come play offs...

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Myers is back one way or the other, so I feel like getting that out of the way first is the way it might go.  Get one under your belt kind of thing.

sure, I mean if Myers is willing to go 2 mil AAV or something like that for 2 years? even then, I'd wait for a bit to see what shakes in the trade market over the next two weeks. 

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Here's an outside the box idea. If Myers wants 3 million over 2 years, why not sign him for 1 mil over 6 years? Just a thought