[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

Honestly if Myers comes in a 3 years under $3m per that is huge. Trade protection absolutely. Guy wants to be here.

This would be an example of a player really understanding where he is at in his career, where he wants to be and leaving money on the table.

Teammates or pending free agents should take notice. Each player has earned their right to Free Agency and potentially cashing in sure. But this is a statement by team and player, would hope it could be infectious. Could seriously make some players take notice over this month before the market opens.

Myers could net $ 4 million per or more in Free Agency.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

They're just opening that window and I'd say there at least a couple years from being a true competitor........right when they'll be paying OEL almost $5m to play somewhere else.  That $5m would be awfully handy to have at that point 

I hated the buyout at the time and my opinion has oscillated quite a bit over the last year.

First, the Canucks absolutely maximized the cap savings this year, landing a ton of players in UFA and through trade via that flexibility. 

However, what do we really have to show from it, one year later?  

Soucy for 2 more seasons.  Suter for 1 more year.  Maybe we could say some extra room for Pettersson’s contract.   We created cap flexibility while being able to keep our 1st last summer.  That all counts. 

On the other hand, some UFA’s we brought in thanks to the buyout, we only re-sign if they take a bit of a hair cut to stay.  Maybe there’s more there, but we all know Lindholm, Zadorov, Bleuger, Lafferty and Cole aren’t all coming back. 

Having a winning season certainly helps Aqualini and I’m a believer in team culture and morale. So there’s less measurable positives as well.  

But the year over year cap hit is a huge burden - and I agree the penalty is at its worst when we’ll need it the most.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Lost in all of this Myers resigning talk is that Filip Hronek made all of this possible. By being the top minutes guy on the right side. And the player with the 2nd most minutes on the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lost in all of this Myers resigning talk is that Filip Hronek made all of this possible. By being the top minutes guy on the right side. And the player with the 2nd most minutes on the team.

Exactly! He sabotaged Myers’ resurgence!!! If it weren’t for Hronek, Myers would have elevated from Chaos Giraffe to Crunchtime Giraffe and possibly even Cosmic Giraffe. 
Hronek you sumbitch!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I hated the buyout at the time and my opinion has oscillated quite a bit over the last year.

First, the Canucks absolutely maximized the cap savings this year, landing a ton of players in UFA and through trade via that flexibility. 

However, what do we really have to show from it, one year later?  

Soucy for 2 more seasons.  Suter for 1 more year.  Maybe we could say some extra room for Pettersson’s contract.   We created cap flexibility while being able to keep our 1st last summer.  That all counts. 

On the other hand, some UFA’s we brought in thanks to the buyout, we only re-sign if they take a bit of a hair cut to stay.  Maybe there’s more there, but we all know Lindholm, Zadorov, Bleuger, Lafferty and Cole aren’t all coming back. 

Having a winning season certainly helps Aqualini and I’m a believer in team culture and morale. So there’s less measurable positives as well.  

But the year over year cap hit is a huge burden - and I agree the penalty is at its worst when we’ll need it the most.  

Yeah. I was just going to bump the OEL buyout thread but it is on the old forum. 

I still don't think the buyout was worth it. OEL is playing fine. Not 7 million worth but fine on the 3rd pair and spotting on the 2nd. 

If the Oilers can manage with Darnell Nurse getting 9.2, we could have managed OEL at 7. His foot is better and he would have played fine on the Canucks this year. To the point where maybe we could have traded him with a sweeter to a cap floor team. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah. I was just going to bump the OEL buyout thread but it is on the old forum. 

I still don't think the buyout was worth it. OEL is playing fine. Not 7 million worth but fine on the 3rd pair and spotting on the 2nd. 

If the Oilers can manage with Darnell Nurse getting 9.2, we could have managed OEL at 7. His foot is better and he would have played fine on the Canucks this year. To the point where maybe we could have traded him with a sweeter to a cap floor team. 

maybe doesn’t change fact.

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

OElevator had to go. He’s a 2 million dollar bottom pairing D on Florida. We couldn’t afford an 8 mil bottom pairing D. He was overpaid by six million. Buying him out allows Allvin to bring in both Soucy and Cole and then have room to add Zadorov. Not too sure who you’d rather have bout for me it’s Soucy Cole and Zadorov every day over OELevator. 

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

maybe doesn’t change fact.

It also doesn't change 4 years of $2m+ dead cap and, right when the need cap flexibility the most, 2 years of almost $5m in dead cap.  That's a top 6 fwd

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OElevator had to go. He’s a 2 million dollar bottom pairing D on Florida. We couldn’t afford an 8 mil bottom pairing D. He was overpaid by six million. Buying him out allows Allvin to bring in both Soucy and Cole and then have room to add Zadorov. Not too sure who you’d rather have bout for me it’s Soucy Cole and Zadorov every day over OELevator. 

I think everyone agrees that OEL had to go.  That’s not really the question.  How and when the contract was moved and it’s short/long term effects on the team is the real question.

The short term was damned good.  The long term remains to be seen.

Edited by Baratheon
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

I created a thread on CFF for it. Just hasn’t been active in a while I think.

i hear ya but I think we had to force change. Even at a culture level, OEL would have been a carryover of a time when some players were playing for themselves and not performing for the group. It’s known that OEL was in that category, regardless of injury, and that there was a noticeable lack of hunger to his game. To be paid that much, which was at the height of our salary structure, and not be performing as the leader or mentor he needed to be, is an exact reason why he had to go. 

yes it’s a difficult move to accept in terms of what it means to us financially, but again the way it is structured it gave us opportunity to plan for and around it. 

I would suggest the best opinion on either side can be formed after the next 3 seasons. Let’s see what we accomplish, what the roster looks like and in terms of cap flexibility where we are then. In most ways it’s still far too early to form a verdict on the buyout, imho 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, stawns said:

It also doesn't change 4 years of $2m+ dead cap and, right when the need cap flexibility the most, 2 years of almost $5m in dead cap.  That's a top 6 fwd

understood but I have a hard time digesting that it’s a problem right when we need it. We needed it so that we could get to where we are, and in that space it’s not a problem. It’s an outcome, right? 

we can agree to disagree, I just think it provided us so many options that it ends up just being a cost of doing business and enabling progress. 

we needed to exorcise failures and anyway you slice it he was one for us.

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I created a thread on CFF for it. Just hasn’t been active in a while I think.

i hear ya but I think we had to force change. Even at a culture level, OEL would have been a carryover of a time when some players were playing for themselves and not performing for the group. It’s known that OEL was in that category, regardless of injury, and that there was a noticeable lack of hunger to his game. To be paid that much, which was at the height of our salary structure, and not be performing as the leader or mentor he needed to be, is an exact reason why he had to go. 

yes it’s a difficult move to accept in terms of what it means to us financially, but again the way it is structured it gave us opportunity to plan for and around it. 

I would suggest the best opinion on either side can be formed after the next 3 seasons. Let’s see what we accomplish, what the roster looks like and in terms of cap flexibility where we are then. In most ways it’s still far too early to form a verdict on the buyout, imho 

Again, I'm not advocating for keeping OEL, clearly RT didn't want him.  I just think they need a longer range vision and a little patience to rebuild some value

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I'm not advocating for keeping OEL, clearly RT didn't want him.  I just think they need a longer range vision and a little patience to rebuild some value

That’s asking a lot of Trader Jim Rutherford though, lol 

• Cheers 1

On 5/30/2024 at 7:39 AM, Bob Long said:

Hmm, I think you would start with the critical talent decisions first. 

They for sure won't be waiting long for Lindy to make up his mind, and have an internal max for Hronek and Z.

These decisions might already be made and now they are exploring trades. 

Agree, they're going to sign Hronek and Lindholm first (if they can) and then start working on the others

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Honestly if Myers comes in a 3 years under $3m per that is huge. Trade protection absolutely. Guy wants to be here.

This would be an example of a player really understanding where he is at in his career, where he wants to be and leaving money on the table.

Teammates or pending free agents should take notice. Each player has earned their right to Free Agency and potentially cashing in sure. But this is a statement by team and player, would hope it could be infectious. Could seriously make some players take notice over this month before the market opens.

Myers could net $ 4 million per or more in Free Agency.

Yeah I think Myers will come in under market value to stay in Vancouver......and I can see management focusing in on Myers first to set the tone for the rest of the signings.   Hopefully they get 3-4 guys signing reasonable contracts quickly to start the team buy-in trend. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:14 AM, Rick_theRyper said:

If we trade Hronek who plays with Hughes? Myers had a terrific season but he's getting older and still shouldn't be playing that much, Juulsen looks better as the #3 RD 

Woo is walking away it looks from Canucks org, wouldn't be playing that role anyways Mcward is probably the next on the depth chart for RD. If Hronek is dealt absolutely have to sign one of the top ufa RD this summer. Guess my point is why all the Hate for Honk? He's really the best option we've had for our #1 guy since Tanev. And a lot younger than Myers. I'd hate to sign Tanev and resign Myers and have two 30+ guys playing such a big role, look at Cole and his slow down late in the year. Age does catch up to these guys. Hronek is coming into his prime. Not trying to shit on Myers but he shouldn't get anything over 3 years. At most even 2 would be better.. same with Tanev. And then pray they have healthy seasons. Imo way better off keeping Hronek at least for this year see how they do up to the TDL 

What's Willander's time line?  2-3 years?  

They need somebody to hold the fort until he's ready to play.  I don't know if that's Myers but he can take us part way there

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They need somebody to hold the fort until he's ready to play.  I don't know if that's Myers but he can take us part way there

Probably 4-5 before he's a significant player

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

i see hughes/ demelo; soucy/ myers; dillon/ juulson.

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nothing wrong with OEL at $2.25M.  The buyout was all Allvin and Rutherford, they needed the cap room.  I doubt Tocchet had anything to say about it.

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Agree, they're going to sign Hronek and Lindholm first (if they can) and then start working on the others

Ufa

Lindy

Zad

Myers

Cole

Joshua

Blueger

Laffy

Desmith

Friedman

RFA

Hronek

Karlsson

Silovs

Only $25m to play with.  You sign Hronek and Lindy, then you've only got about $10m left

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Nothing wrong with OEL at $2.25M.  The buyout was all Allvin and Rutherford, they needed the cap room.  I doubt Tocchet had anything to say about it.

OEL had 32 points this season and plays pp and pk.........on the open market he's probably double that value

24 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yeah I didn't read up too much on his season, heard he was solid but worked his way to second pairing slowly. 

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Probably 4-5 before he's a significant player

Yeah a long shot he makes the team next year. Some here have wild expectations lol. I'd say the year after next he pushes at training camp for a spot. I could be wrong and eat some crow but after next year in U he still might need time. Not quite Hughes level this kid. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

They're just opening that window and I'd say there at least a couple years from being a true competitor........right when they'll be paying OEL almost $5m to play somewhere else.  That $5m would be awfully handy to have at that point 

Could you imagine being so bad you get paid to play against the Canucks?

I'm pretty bad I'll play against Van for $1M.