[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

13 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Could you imagine being so bad you get paid to play against the Canucks?

I'm pretty bad I'll play against Van for $1M.

Well, he did have 32 points this year and he's probably going to win a Cup.

22 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah a long shot he makes the team next year. Some here have wild expectations lol. I'd say the year after next he pushes at training camp for a spot. I could be wrong and eat some crow but after next year in U he still might need time. Not quite Hughes level this kid. 

I'd say he's probably going to be on the roster in 2-3 seasons, but not a significant player for 4-5

26 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I am still upset Myers iced the puck in game 7 resulting in an Edmonton goal.

Tough to single him out though when the team spent the first two periods dumping it out (or in for a shift change).  They played like the puck was a hot potato.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Tough to single him out though when the team spent the first two periods dumping it out (or in for a shift change).  They played like the puck was a hot potato.

True. It was a team effort.

54 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The team played poorly for sure but that was one hell of a bone headed decision.

How does Myers get so much attention. His last 3/4 of the year was brain fart material.  The give aways and penalties 30 seconds into play speak for themselves. 

His 6mill is better allocated to Zadorov who plays a vital role we so much desired.

Was Hronek anything before being paired with Captain Quinn,  no.

Present right handed defenceman on our roster have all done well paired with Captain Hughes.  Myers failed !

Posted (edited)

I always find it interesting that the Canucks obviously need to improve next year to advance.

So what do they do? Bring back the same d core? Bring back Lindholm? Bring back DJ? Same team. Same results.

Edited by chris12345
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:16 PM, RWJC said:

what a difference some good coaching can make though 

And even more then that, what a difference not being relied on to do everything, because your the coaches best option.   Makes a world of difference having two other solid pairings around you (and the one above you, elite). 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, chris12345 said:

I always find it interesting that the Canucks obviously need to improve next year to advance.

So what do they do? Bring back the same d core? Bring back Lindholm? Bring back DJ? Same team. Same results.

Hell yeah you bring back a team that almost made it to the conference final, and gave EDM at least as much difficulty (way more physically) than Dallas currently is.   Some of these guys,  barely played a year together.   EP was as suspected, injured.   (Zadorov, Lindholm, Hronek, Cole  Bluegar, Soucy etc). 

What you don't do, is make knee jerk decisions and JB the roster by swapping out half the D-core/roster year after year.    Not everyone clicks.    JB lost the plot after the bubble.     Expect Allvin and co will take a better assessment and continue their good work.    They paid to get Zadarov and Lindholm, both those guys clicked.   Same with Hronek. 

This team would have won or at least been close to winning the presidents trophy too.    That's no small thing.   109 points.   

Yes we can get better,  and some of these guys likely won't return.   Myers at 3 x 2 or even 3 is a no brainer.    So far he's managed to keep in great shape, and isn't injury prone like some guys are by his age.    My bet is it could even be less than that.   And for sure less then he'd command on the open market.     DJ and Lindholm are bigger decisions.    Just because guys are UFAs that are better will be available, from other teams, definitely doesn't mean they will want to come here.   

Ray Ferraro is correct is saying it takes a new player a full year to get used to a new team.   Dividends start occurring after.  Every off season I see some folks lamenting that we didn't sign whomever.    The odds of landing a free agent is mostly cap dependant, and like Burke says, all the Canadian teams are at a distinct disadvantage.   Not many guys are willing to lose 10-17% of their paycheque's.   So overpay or don't play.    In Myers case he knows we've made him a wealthy man. 

Zadarov next please.  5.25 x 5.

As for Myers, yes bring him back.   We don't need another Willie Mitchell mistake.    Or Tanev mistake.   No he's neither those guys, but he's a key support player.   Soucy Myers, if that's our third pairing, man are we in for another great season(s).   We need some time for D-Petey and Willander to percolate. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

What are thoughts on possibly trading for David Savard from MTL should we run into any issues fleshing out our D corps through UFA.

I realize we have Myers likely coming back, but could Savard be an option any of us would be interested in?

last year of his deal at 3.5.
No trade protection.

Big sturdy Dman who is tough and reliable but not so quick.

will be 34 in Oct.

obviously not a top option but could he be a reasonable stop gap for the short term and if price is palatable?

maybe more of a deadline deal for depth?

Myers would fetch closer to 4 mill per over a 2-3 year contract if he tested the market

At 3 mil or less per year on a 2-3 year contract we are getting him on a discount 

Nice to see the Canucks becoming a place that players will take less to play here ..... Not all will but nice to see a culture where players want to be here 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, stawns said:

Ufa

Lindy

Zad

Myers

Cole

Joshua

Blueger

Laffy

Desmith

Friedman

RFA

Hronek

Karlsson

Silovs

Only $25m to play with.  You sign Hronek and Lindy, then you've only got about $10m left

I think they sign Hronek and not Lindholm.  Allvin worked hard to improve the D last year.  Why would he come back with a worse D next year?

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, chris12345 said:

the team's core players need to take another step fitness wise this offseason. if they could maintain a level even close to what their first half was like, they would have steamrolled their way to the finals. 

they are right there with dallas and edmonton. at their best, I think better. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think they sign Hronek and not Lindholm.  Allvin worked hard to improve the D last year.  Why would he come back with a worse D next year?

I do think we might have to accept a bit of a step back next season, as far as the roster goes.  Theyre not going to be able to solve all their issues this offseason......I hope they pick the right spots to focus on

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do think we might have to accept a bit of a step back next season, as far as the roster goes.  Theyre not going to be able to solve all their issues this offseason......I hope they pick the right spots to focus on

Stronger top 6 reliance for scoring, probably 3/4 lines geared much further to shutdown. 

D will require better distribution of TOI between 1st and 2nd pairing (with Hronek running 2nd pair) so as to ease off on Huggy a bit.

same vein, Demko will play less games and Silovs integrated more often for load mgmt.

cant have the team exhaust themselves by the time playoffs roll around this year. 

expect a regression in divisonal pts but a better conditioned and physically sound (hopefully) playoff oriented club 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Stronger top 6 reliance for scoring, probably 3/4 lines geared much further to shutdown. 

D will require better distribution of TOI between 1st and 2nd pairing (with Hronek running 2nd pair) so as to ease off on Huggy a bit.

same vein, Demko will play less games and Silovs integrated more often for load mgmt.

cant have the team exhaust themselves by the time playoffs roll around this year. 

expect a regression in divisonal pts but a better conditioned and physically sound (hopefully) playoff oriented club 

You might argue the January stretch where they overplayed demko cost them, had they played DeSmith more Demko might have have had less wear and tear and avoided injury.  Can we buy a hyperbaric chamber if not already using one?

• Cheers 1

Just now, flat land fish said:

You might argue the January stretch where they overplayed demko cost them, had they played DeSmith more Demko might have have had less wear and tear and avoided injury.  Can we buy a hyperbaric chamber if not already using one?

Yeah, hard to say. Regardless, every game played wears a player down incrementally. Add in our travel/recuperation and it’s tough sledding

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think there's too many changes and too much to do this summer to have season like this again.  However, their playoff experience will be valuable if they manage to get back in the post season 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I think there's too many changes and too much to do this summer to have season like this again.  However, their playoff experience will be valuable if they manage to get back in the post season 

To many unknowns to speculate on next year. That said the success of the 3rd line will be hard to duplicate. The playoff experience gained by the young core will benefit the team competitiveness. Hopefully a player steps forward from the prospects to impact the group. Canucks have the best coach in hockey. Looking at the Oilers, Panthers and Stars it is very clear that coaching impacts results in a major way.

• Cheers 1