[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Teams spend MONTHS with negotiations.  When the time comes, they'll sit down and work on it, but they've been in playoff mode since April.  They weren't exactly actively negotiating.  There was, and still is time.  They could hammer out a deal in a matter of days if they met everyday next week. 

They could indeed, but I think it's just as likely that the team looked at his second half and playoffs and drew a pretty hard line in the sand.  They absolutely cannot overpay anyone

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's not gonna be $8M.  I've tried to reiterate this as much as I can, but in negotiations, NO party comes into it giving the number they hope to get to as the starting position.  That would be extremely foolish and amateur in terms of negotiations.  If his ASK is $8M, it'll be less than that, I would put down BIG money on that.

no offense, but what if that is his ask whether it be this year or plans to go to arb and secure a 1 year to UFA whereby then he can pursue 8 on open market. 

I understand what you’re saying. Yes it’s negotiation. It’s also a consistently top pairing, young RFA looking for security and top dollar going forward knowing full well cap ceiling is rising. 

argue your point but leave room for consideration 

Edited by RWJC

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Zad at $5 or Hronek at $7.5-8.  I know who I'm picking

If they were both getting $5, I’d still take Z over Hronek. Hronek had a horrible second half and playoffs. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They could indeed, but I think it's just as likely that the team looked at his second half and playoffs and drew a pretty hard line in the sand.  They absolutely cannot overpay anyone

End of the day, Hronek is only 26yo.  Heck, he's 1 year older than our young superstar Elias Pettersson.

In Hronek's short career so far, he has consistently been a top pairing RHD that can play 23min+ per night, can play on the PP, can play on the PK, hits, stands up for teammates, and consistently produces at a 40 to 50 point pace.  He will likely improve on all of this given he's only in his mid 20s. 

A $7.25M cap hit with an $87.7M upper cap limit translates to a $6.7M cap hit with a $95M upper cap limit (likely in 2 or 3 years).

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

no offense, but what if that is his ask whether it be this year or plans to go to arb and secure a 1 year to UFA whereby then he can pursue 8 on open market. 

I understand what you’re saying. Yes it’s negotiation. It’s also an RFA looking for security and top dollar going forward knowing full well cap ceiling is rising. 

argue your point but leave room for consideration 

Absolutely.  Anybody could draw a hard line in negotiations, but that USUALLY doesn't happen immediately.  I'm confident PA/JR know whether or not Hronek's camp is willing to negotiate.  If Hronek's camp has basically said $8M, take it or leave it, then we'll know within the next month or so as I suspect they'll package him up and move him out.  Haven't heard anything to suggest Hronek is firm on $8M, so I'll assume it is par for the course of any negotiation.

• Cheers 1

I trend towards maximising return from Filip H ...Hughes is like ketchup...he goes well with just about anything.

I look forward to new blood coming in even some youngsters who bring energy to the team.

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

End of the day, Hronek is only 26yo.  Heck, he's 1 year older than our young superstar Elias Pettersson.

In Hronek's short career so far, he has consistently been a top pairing RHD that can play 23min+ per night, can play on the PP, can play on the PK, hits, stands up for teammates, and consistently produces at a 40 to 50 point pace.  He will likely improve on all of this given he's only in his mid 20s. 

A $7.25M cap hit with an $87.7M upper cap limit translates to a $6.7M cap hit with a $95M upper cap limit (likely in 2 or 3 years).

He's proven nothing to garner the gamble an organization has to take to spend that kind of money and that kind of term, imo........ especially riding the coattails of a guy like QH.  

Maybe hes that guy, but he certainly hasn't shown it consistently yet........he's just as likely to be a middling top 4 d than he is a top line, top 2 dman.  He simply doesn't have the resume to get that kind of contract yet and he could still go either way, imo.

17 points in the last half(ish) and playoffs combined.  That's not a big contract number 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's proven nothing to garner the gamble an organization has to take to spend that kind of money and that kind of term, imo........ especially riding the coattails of a guy like QH.  

Maybe hes that guy, but he certainly hasn't shown it consistently yet........he's just as likely to be a middling top 4 d than he is a top line, top 2 dman.  He simply doesn't have the resume to get that kind of contract yet and he could still go either way, imo.

17 points in the last half(ish) and playoffs combined.  That's not a big contract number 

He’s due a raise and will be paid well in future IF he progresses. He had a solid career in DET that showed he’s potentially only improving. Again, top line pairing. But yes, still hasn’t earned above 7mill per in my mind yet. Especially as it relates to the club’s salary structure. He’s not as important as others (for now) at the top end of our price points 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Could be.  The rub for PA/JR might be that the price for Lindholm and Zadorov exceeds what they think they should be valued at.  If they feel Lindholm is gonna be more of a 60 point guy moving forward, but he's asking $7.5M, then that's poor allocation of cap.  If they feel Zadorov is more of a #5 guy, then $5M+ is also poor allocation of cap.  I trust this management team enough that they may make the hard decisions to make sure our cap is spent responsibly.

Agree 

JT miller is 100 pt guy and plays tough match up minutes 

comparably Lindy should be in the  7 mill range 

I think they plan on signing JG who I think they need more than EL 

what we are seeing is they have money allotted to certain players and positions 

so that means like if EL wants 8 or 8.5

they can pay that but it means they can’t allot 9 for JG 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

to CHI

Milky+ Podz

to VAN

CHI 2nd 2024 (34OA)

+ 5.75 in cap 

cap = 25.15 including poolman LTIR + 5.75 = 31 m for arguments sake 

Hronek 7.85x 8

Zads 4.75x 6

Tanev 4.5x 3

silovs 1

bluegger 1.85x 4

JG 9

danton Heinen 1.1x 2

= 31

jG Petey Hogz

suter Miller Brock 

Danton Bluegger Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Tanev

Zads Hroneck 

Soucy Juulsen 

Dem

Silovs 

there- thst wasn’t hard 

… oh wait and what if Lekki makes it !!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not unusual at all for players to be paid for potential.  Again, I reiterate this over and over... Hronek is 26 years old.  He's young enough that he's an RFA.  He's not 29 or 30.  Hronek has consistently been what he has been for the past few years -- a RHD that can play 23min a night, produce at a 40 to 50 point pace, play with grit and tenacity, be able to play on special teams, etc.  This is what he has been up to this point in his young career.  I consider that his floor.  As you know, being a veteran of the sport of hockey, defencemen generally take a bit longer to develop.  If that's the case, Hronek could become among the top RHD in the league in the near future. 

5 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

to CHI

Milky+ Podz

to VAN

CHI 2nd 2024 (34OA)

+ 5.75 in cap 

Hronek 7.85x 8

Zads 4.75x 6

Tanev 4.5x 3

silovs 1

bluegger 1.85x 4

JG 9

danton Heinen 1.1x 2

= 31

jG Petey Hogz

suter Miller Brock 

Danton Bluegger Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Tanev

Zads Hroneck 

Soucy Juulsen 

Dem

Silovs 

there- thst wasn’t hard 

That team wins a cup 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

to CHI

Milky+ Podz

to VAN

CHI 2nd 2024 (34OA)

+ 5.75 in cap 

Hronek 7.85x 8

Zads 4.75x 6

Tanev 4.5x 3

silovs 1

bluegger 1.85x 4

JG 9

danton Heinen 1.1x 2

= 31

jG Petey Hogz

suter Miller Brock 

Danton Bluegger Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Tanev

Zads Hroneck 

Soucy Juulsen 

Dem

Silovs 

there- thst wasn’t hard 

Podkolzin doesn’t fetch the 34th on his own how do you expect him to fetch with a guy that has the negative value that’s worth a first attached to him… try again 

Evening Notes: Myers, Lafferty, Kylington, Markstrom

June 11th, 2024 at 8:37pm CST • By Brennan McClain

Heading into the offseason, the Vancouver Canucks have several quality players heading for unrestricted free agency. In an article today by David Pagnotta of TheFourthPeriod, he touches on the organization’s negotiations with defenseman Tyler Myers and forward Sam Lafferty.

A little over a week ago, it was reported that both Myers and the Canucks wanted to pursue an extension — but it will need to be for a much lower AAV than his previous $6MM salary. It does not appear that the two sides have even started exchanging salary figures, which could push Myers towards unrestricted free agency on July 1st. Vancouver has four defensemen set to hit the open market with an additional restricted free agent to worry about, and the Canucks would be wise to extend some of them well before free agency kicks off.

Unlike Myers, it does not appear that Lafferty wants to extend his stay in Vancouver, but Pagnotta points out that the two sides haven’t shut the door completely. After completing his two-year, $2.3MM contract that he originally signed with the Chicago Blackhawks, Lafferty has earned a shot at more earning power this summer after posting 13 goals and 24 points with the Canucks this season.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/evening-notes-myers-lafferty-kylington-markstrom.html#ref=home

• 2 weeks later...

Not so fast folks...

Pierre Lebrun with the Athletic:

Pending UFA defenseman Tyler Myers and the Canucks remain in talks, but the sense I get is that things have not progressed on that front despite several weeks of discussions. They’ll chat again this week at the draft, so the door remains open, but there’s just as good of a chance he goes to market Monday at this point.

• Sad 1

Ominous Development In Tyler Myers Talks With Canucks

Dave Litman Wednesday, June 26, 2024 

Both the Vancouver Canucks and impending UFA defenseman Tyler Myers were all about re-upping on a new contract to keep the 6'8" d-man in B.C. But it appears that this story has taken an unexpected turn, and that Myers might be hitting the free agent market on July 1st. 

Hockey Insider Chris Johnson reports on his podcast that contract talks have not progressed, and Myers could be moving on. 

“Tyler Myers is a good bet now not to stay with the Canucks. I know he wanted to but it doesn't sound like the talks have been productive towards getting a deal.”

At the beginning of the Canucks offseason late last month, we heard rumblings from some around the league that extension talks were already underway with Myers, but his agent JP Barry shot that down, saying that the Canucks had other priorities that they needed to get to first. "I don't think we're first in line," said Barry at the time.

There's no doubt that Vancouver has been pretty focused on trying to work on an extension with another large pending UFA blueliner, Nikita Zadorov, as well as working behind the scenes to try and land one of the top offensive UFAs, Jake Guentzel, from Carolina. 

Myers, 34, just finished his 5th season in Vancouver, and had a vastly improved year on the highly-competitive Canucks team. He had his best offensive year with the team, notching 29 points on five goals and 24 assists, and posted the best plus/minus rating of his career, +16, while playing 19 minutes a night. 

It would be a huge void on the blueline (literally and figuratively speaking) if the Canucks are forced to let him walk.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/ominous-development-in-tyler-myers.html

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Both the Vancouver Canucks and impending UFA defenseman Tyler Myers were all about re-upping on a new contract to keep the 6'8" d-man in B.C. But it appears that this story has taken an unexpected turn, and that Myers might be hitting the free agent market on July 1st. 

Hockey Insider Chris Johnson reports on his podcast that contract talks have not progressed, and Myers could be moving on. 

“Tyler Myers is a good bet now not to stay with the Canucks. I know he wanted to but it doesn't sound like the talks have been productive towards getting a deal.”

At the beginning of the Canucks offseason late last month, we heard rumblings from some around the league that extension talks were already underway with Myers, but his agent JP Barry shot that down, saying that the Canucks had other priorities that they needed to get to first. "I don't think we're first in line," said Barry at the time.

There's no doubt that Vancouver has been pretty focused on trying to work on an extension with another large pending UFA blueliner, Nikita Zadorov, as well as working behind the scenes to try and land one of the top offensive UFAs, Jake Guentzel, from Carolina. 

Myers, 34, just finished his 5th season in Vancouver, and had a vastly improved year on the highly-competitive Canucks team. He had his best offensive year with the team, notching 29 points on five goals and 24 assists, and posted the best plus/minus rating of his career, +16, while playing 19 minutes a night. 

It would be a huge void on the blueline (literally and figuratively speaking) if the Canucks are forced to let him walk.

No shit. A legit top 6 winger, Zad or a replacement, and ideally, a legit top 4 RHD (not Myers). 

Myers was always going to be a "if we can squeeze you in for a deal that works for both sides, after addressing bigger needs" guy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Opinion pieces don't become ominous developments. It is just thrown on top of the pile of conjecture is all.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Opinion pieces don't become ominous developments. It is just thrown on top of the pile of conjecture is all.

i thought Myers wanted to remain with the team? 

9 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I love this! Not because I am against Myers coming back but because it shows Mgmt has set their numbers. They aren't focused on getting specific players at any cost, they are focused on getting the right players at the right cost.

Yeah, but if Myers walks, then what do you do? 

Just now, HKSR said:

He'd still want to be compensated fairly. 

I mean, he got paid 6M for 6 years, and for half that time, he wasn't very good in a top pairing role (and got paid like one). 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but if Myers walks, then what do you do? 

This roster is what I came up with that includes a Mikheyev buyout...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Guentzel ($9M on JG)

Carrier-Blueger-Garland ($1.75M for Carrier)

Podkolzin-Aman-Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy ($5.35M on Roy)

Forbort-Juulsen ($2M for Forbort)

McWard

$900k remaining in cap space with a 22 man roster.

• Cheers 1

if they're not close with Myers than they must really feel good about their other options, or they're close with Zadorov

bit scary knowing we can go into next season with half the team being new as we won't know what to expect but, at same time i'm confident in this group