[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

It all comes down to priority and how the other negotiations are going...if we got Lindholm and Hronek for 4.0mil each then sure, give Myers 3mil. But that ain't gonna happen. So we must focus on the bigger role players first and see what's leftover. If that's 1.5m - 2.0m and Myers will take that then great, glad to have you back...if not then thanks for your service and we'll fill your role more economically. If we extend Myers first then have to pass up on Lindy or Dak, then we start looking like the team that had to give up Markstrom and Tanev to make sure we kept Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland... That team / GM failed to manage priorities and gave 2nd line money to 4th line plugs. We'd have been better off not having those "NHL" players at all and utilizing the cap space and higher draft picks. Benning wanted to play poker at the high stakes table but instead got stuck playing the penny slots...let's not make the same mistakes again. It's a business...let's act business-like.

Posted (edited)

What a complete 180 on the attitude toward Myers from this year to the last.

This season Myers was a solid defenceman when he kept it simple.

2 million x 4 years

Edited by LB28

I worry as soon as he signs the contract his play will dip big time and he'll end up being a liability for us again. He was brilliant all year last year and in the playoffs arguably our best defenceman which was a surprise (after maybe Zadorov), but he's only getting older. Cole looked worse with time, Myers looked better and has age on his side. I'd do 3x3 at the worst but ideally 2x3M. Plonk him next to Soucy and our top PK unit and let's try and find some middle-4 defencemen to round us out.

• chaos 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I worry as soon as he signs the contract his play will dip big time and he'll end up being a liability for us again. He was brilliant all year last year and in the playoffs arguably our best defenceman which was a surprise (after maybe Zadorov), but he's only getting older. Cole looked worse with time, Myers looked better and has age on his side. I'd do 3x3 at the worst but ideally 2x3M. Plonk him next to Soucy and our top PK unit and let's try and find some middle-4 defencemen to round us out.

Could PA flip Myers’ and Zadorov’s cap allocation from last seas to their new contracts? 
Hughes, ?

Hronek, Zadorov

Soucy, Myers

Juulsson 

Need a partner for Hughes though. 

5 hours ago, LB28 said:

What a complete 180 on the attitude toward Myers from this year to the last.

This season Myers was a solid defenceman when he kept it simple.

2 million x 4 years

Not a 180 for everyone.  Some of us recognized it was bad coaching that was the issue........same with OEL, who is playing very very well under PM's system

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not a 180 for everyone.  Some of us recognized it was bad coaching that was the issue........same with OEL, who is playing very very well under PM's system

OElevator has been terrible. He’s playing bottom pairing minutes and costing his club games with egregious errors and soft play. 
Myers will be fine at 3.5 cap allocation. Anything more is foolish. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

What is with your takes on OEL?

They couldn’t be further from the truth.  
The guy has not been doing well.  
He is probably their worst Dman.  

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

What is with your takes on OEL?

They couldn’t be further from the truth.  
The guy has not been doing well.  
He is probably their worst Dman.  

Looks solid to me........moving the puck well, skating with the puck, physical, good defense.  

What's with your take on OEL?  Bitterness?

Edited by stawns
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

i can see a 2x3M top. 

sure i would have prefer 2.5M, but he played very good, and i don't want to let him go for an extra 0.5M. 

For 1 Hronek, we can have 1 Tanev and 1 Myers.

It's amazing what coaching and surrounding a guy with some quality players can do. 

I wonder about the exact order of PA's 'priorities' this off-season  and where a guy like Myers is situated on that list?

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

It's amazing what coaching and surrounding a guy with some quality players can do. 

I wonder about the exact order of PA's 'priorities' this off-season  and where a guy like Myers is situated on that list?

I'd say they're getting the easy stuff done first, so they have a part of the puzzle in place before they start making bigger moves

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say they're getting the easy stuff done first, so they have a part of the puzzle in place before they start making bigger moves

Hmm, I think you would start with the critical talent decisions first. 

They for sure won't be waiting long for Lindy to make up his mind, and have an internal max for Hronek and Z.

These decisions might already be made and now they are exploring trades. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hmm, I think you would start with the critical talent decisions first. 

They for sure won't be waiting long for Lindy to make up his mind, and have an internal max for Hronek and Z.

These decisions might already be made and now they are exploring trades. 

When you do a puzzle, what pieces do you do first?   Probably the edges, because they are the easiest and they give you some idea of the scope of the overall picture

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not really coaching… it was mostly the roster.

For Myers’ entire career, even before the Canucks he has been a great third pairing guy, and below average 2nd pairing guy who just struggles when asked to do too much or to play too many minutes.  He is a 4/5 guy.

The Canucks have had a horrible defence almost the entire time Myers has been here and he has been put into a situation to fail.  We literally had him and OEL as our 2nd pairing shutdown guys.  They did better than they had any right to for a season, but it was a square peg in a round hole.  There is no coaching that could have made him 

The model of having three solid pairs to split the load really put him in a position to succeed this season.  His ice time dropped substantially to less than 19 minutes a game and after the top pairing, all four regular D had pretty similar ice time numbers.  I would say all four of them are 4/5 guys and that can work.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Weren’t you adamantly defending Green and his system when he was fired? 

Just now, Provost said:

Not really coaching… it was mostly the roster.

For Myers’ entire career, even before the Canucks he has been a great third pairing guy, and below average 2nd pairing guy who just struggles when asked to do too much or to play too many minutes.  He is a 4/5 guy.

The Canucks have had a horrible defence almost the entire time Myers has been here and he has been put into a situation to fail.  We literally had him and OEL as our 2nd pairing shutdown guys.  They did better than they had any right to for a season, but it was a square peg in a round hole.  There is no coaching that could have made him 

The model of having three solid pairs to split the load really put him in a position to succeed this season.  His ice time dropped substantially to less than 19 minutes a game and after the top pairing, all four regular D had pretty similar ice time numbers.  I would say all four of them are 4/5 guys and that can work.

Almost completely coaching, imo.  When you have a coach who has little to no defensive system, it's not going to make anyone look good.  So many of the things people lambasted Myers (and others) for, were symptomatic of a bigger issue of no defensive support, no back checking, terrible giveaways etc.

Obviously everyone makes gaffes, and Myers makes his fair share, but it was so much deeper than that

• Upvote 1

Coaching is one thing but the player also has to be ready and willing to be coached. I think Myers had the realization that he's not the guy he thought he was and stopped trying to be something he's not. Myers is lucky enough to have had enough ability to stick around long enough for the light bulb to come on.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Weren’t you adamantly defending Green and his system when he was fired? 

Not at the last stretch, no.  I said he'd lost the room and it was timed to move on.  Before that?  Definitely..........he pretty much uses the same systems and philosophy as RT, and when the players believed in him, they played well........as the bubble playoffs showed us

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Coaching is one thing but the player also has to be ready and willing to be coached. I think Myers had the realization that he's not the guy he thought he was and stopped trying to be something he's not. Myers is lucky enough to have had enough ability to stick around long enough for the light bulb to come on.

Dk how do you explain how bad the entire team was defensively then?  Did the lightbulb come on for everyone?  You can't compete against the best players and coaches in the world without some kind of defensive system

• Vintage 1

If we trade Hronek who plays with Hughes? Myers had a terrific season but he's getting older and still shouldn't be playing that much, Juulsen looks better as the #3 RD 

Woo is walking away it looks from Canucks org, wouldn't be playing that role anyways Mcward is probably the next on the depth chart for RD. If Hronek is dealt absolutely have to sign one of the top ufa RD this summer. Guess my point is why all the Hate for Honk? He's really the best option we've had for our #1 guy since Tanev. And a lot younger than Myers. I'd hate to sign Tanev and resign Myers and have two 30+ guys playing such a big role, look at Cole and his slow down late in the year. Age does catch up to these guys. Hronek is coming into his prime. Not trying to shit on Myers but he shouldn't get anything over 3 years. At most even 2 would be better.. same with Tanev. And then pray they have healthy seasons. Imo way better off keeping Hronek at least for this year see how they do up to the TDL 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

If we trade Hronek who plays with Hughes? Myers had a terrific season but he's getting older and still shouldn't be playing that much, Juulsen looks better as the #3 RD 

Woo is walking away it looks from Canucks org, wouldn't be playing that role anyways Mcward is probably the next on the depth chart for RD. If Hronek is dealt absolutely have to sign one of the top ufa RD this summer. Guess my point is why all the Hate for Honk? He's really the best option we've had for our #1 guy since Tanev. And a lot younger than Myers. I'd hate to sign Tanev and resign Myers and have two 30+ guys playing such a big role, look at Cole and his slow down late in the year. Age does catch up to these guys. Hronek is coming into his prime. Not trying to shit on Myers but he shouldn't get anything over 3 years. At most even 2 would be better.. same with Tanev. And then pray they have healthy seasons. Imo way better off keeping Hronek at least for this year see how they do up to the TDL 

I'd expect they'd go hard after pesce or maybe use assets from a hronek deal to trade for someone 

• Upvote 1