[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure, I mean if Myers is willing to go 2 mil AAV or something like that for 2 years? even then, I'd wait for a bit to see what shakes in the trade market over the next two weeks. 

Myers is far more valuable, on the ice, than that and I'd say his year bares that out.  Further to that, it sounds like he is a core member in the dressing room and is looked upon as one of the main leaders on the team, and is obviously someone that RT leans on significantly. 

Not bringing him back at a reasonable deal that's good for the team and also reflects and rewards his play this year, probably would not be popular in the room.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Qu’est que c’est.

FA-FA-FA-FA FA-FA-FA-FA-FA-FA

That's Talking Heads.  Maybe you're thinking of,

Spoiler

Don't you forget about me
Don't, don't, don't, don't

Don't you forget about me.

As you walk on by

Will you call my name?

As you walk on by
Will you call my name?
When you walk away
Or will you walk away?
Will you walk on by?
Come on, call my name
Will you call my name?

:hurhur:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he is an assbagger, but he's also correct. We don't know the internal convo's that have taken place, do they know if Lindy is staying? whats Zad's #, etc. And he clearly hasn't been let in on any of that yet.

Just because neither the fans nor some assbagger know what the team's plan is, doesn't mean that they lack one, grasshopper. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Myers' agent, JP Barry, spoke with Canucks insiders Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor on Wednesday. There are contract talks ongoing, but "the team needs to get together and have a plan," says Barry.

I took that comment differently than you did

I think he was just conveying what management had told him about negotiating

I just wanted to use the compound word assbagger. 

They be probably agreed on a contract range and he’s gonna play ball to let our management cook before they lock in his number giving them certainty but flexibility. 

this is what I think

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Myers is far more valuable, on the ice, than that and I'd say his year bares that out.  Further to that, it sounds like he is a core member in the dressing room and is looked upon as one of the main leaders on the team, and is obviously someone that RT leans on significantly. 

Not bringing him back at a reasonable deal that's good for the team and also reflects and rewards his play this year, probably would not be popular in the room.

Read a couple of years ago that he'd invited some of the rookies to stay with him at his place in Kelowna. He's also one of the guys who plays better in the playoffs.  I'd like to see him back, especially since he's likely to be willing to take a discount like he did when he originally came here.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Here's an outside the box idea. If Myers wants 3 million over 2 years, why not sign him for 1 mil over 6 years? Just a thought

Interesting take... could also bury the full cap amount in the minors as well. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

Here's an outside the box idea. If Myers wants 3 million over 2 years, why not sign him for 1 mil over 6 years? Just a thought

Interesting....as Myers is still under 35 years old, we wouldn't run into the problem if he retires early (in a 35+ year old contract [player signed deal when he was 35+], if said player retires early, the team is still on the hook for the cap hit).  Vegas could get away with that type of contract (as they're good at ex-spleening...) but can't help but think the league would screw us again.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Not a 180 for everyone.  Some of us recognized it was bad coaching that was the issue........same with OEL, who is playing very very well under PM's system

don't blow out your rotator cuff there. 

• Haha 1

I'd like to see Myers back, especially for playoffs.

He's a good fit in the bottom pairing with PK duties.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say they're getting the easy stuff done first, so they have a part of the puzzle in place before they start making bigger moves

I completely understand that logic, but at the same time, it also makes sense to deal with the contracts with huge dollar and/or term attached so you know how much money you have left for everything else that's easier to get on the open market, no?

Just now, Fanuck said:

I completely understand that logic, but at the same time, it also makes sense to deal with the contracts with huge dollar and/or term attached so you know how much money you have left for everything else that's easier to get on the open market, no?

I can see that side of it too and I always do the hard stuff first myself.  But, those are going to be tough negotiationx and it's also good to get one locked down and in the bag

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Agreed @stawns.

If Myers is indeed keen on returning and doing so on a Carson Soucy type deal in terms of cap. As management you try and nail that deal down.

A nearly 30 point defenseman who has found his best fit as a 4/5 in Vancouver. Is committed to the team and city who if the suggestions out there are true is looking to sign at close to half his previous caphit. Sorry, other bigger deals need to be done but you secure this one and take the win.

He would also be showing others he just signed for under market value ( 4m+ per in Free Agency) to stay and build off of last season. That is a solid ambassador for the club.

I, as an average Joe fan think he could sign 3 years x 3.25 - 3.75m range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

Explain to me why Myers would accept that offer? 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Looks solid to me........moving the puck well, skating with the puck, physical, good defense.  

What's with your take on OEL?  Bitterness?

No bitterness.  
It’s a couple things.
He isn’t very good at hockey anymore and was on a clear downward spiral, but we still acquired him.  
We overpaid.  
We didn’t need to get rid of the players we did as they were all expiring and we were going to be a bad team that year anyway.  
He clearly didn’t put in a solid effort while here.  
His contract is going to close our contention window for at least two years.   You can’t compete with 5+ mill in the clouds when other have stacked lineups 

We will pay him for years to come. 

These are all facts.  
Your post is full of opinions that the majority of hockey fans will never agree with. 

Posted (edited)

Working on Myers contract and getting it out of the way is smarter than holding off until the bigger contracts are done. 

It shows movement from management. They intend to be busy before the summer. 

This sends a message of competence and focus that's attractive to potential suitors. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1