[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I completely understand that logic, but at the same time, it also makes sense to deal with the contracts with huge dollar and/or term attached so you know how much money you have left for everything else that's easier to get on the open market, no?

They are juggling lots at the same time and, unlike our last management group, I’m sure they are working on multiple UFA extensions at the same time (easy and hard ones).

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I can see that side of it too and I always do the hard stuff first myself.  But, those are going to be tough negotiationx and it's also good to get one locked down and in the bag

I’m sure JR and PA can multi-task, unlike Jimbo who ‘ran out of time’.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I’d be happier with 2.5x2 years.

Understood but based on his assignments, TOI and performance this past season, his comparable is about 3.75 though as UFA, so taking a discount of 750K per is pretty fair 

4 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

If we trade Hronek who plays with Hughes? Myers had a terrific season but he's getting older and still shouldn't be playing that much, Juulsen looks better as the #3 RD 

Woo is walking away it looks from Canucks org, wouldn't be playing that role anyways Mcward is probably the next on the depth chart for RD. If Hronek is dealt absolutely have to sign one of the top ufa RD this summer. Guess my point is why all the Hate for Honk? He's really the best option we've had for our #1 guy since Tanev. And a lot younger than Myers. I'd hate to sign Tanev and resign Myers and have two 30+ guys playing such a big role, look at Cole and his slow down late in the year. Age does catch up to these guys. Hronek is coming into his prime. Not trying to shit on Myers but he shouldn't get anything over 3 years. At most even 2 would be better.. same with Tanev. And then pray they have healthy seasons. Imo way better off keeping Hronek at least for this year see how they do up to the TDL 

I’ve said it before, but some of Hronek’s value comes from the fact he can keep up with (most) of Hughes’ minutes.  

Hard to measure the effect of having a consistent, regular partner and not the committee he’s been saddled with in the past. A consistent partner with high end puck skills and a dangerous point shot to boot.  

Not saying we have to keep him, but IMO it’s not as easy as replacing him with even a guy like Tanev.  Maybe Roy or Demelo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Guaranteed 6mil and security. 

But if he's getting that over 2 years instead of 6 years it still gives him an opportunity to sign another contract abd make more.  It's ridiculous to suggest he'll take $1m for 6 years when he can get $3m for 2 years 

25 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

But if he's getting that over 2 years instead of 6 years it still gives him an opportunity to sign another contract abd make more.  It's ridiculous to suggest he'll take $1m for 6 years when he can get $3m for 2 years 

I understand that but then he's looking at moving his family. From what's been reported,  he has young kids and doesn't want to move his family. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, just an idea on how to use term to our advantage. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I understand that but then he's looking at moving his family. From what's been reported,  he has young kids and doesn't want to move his family. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, just an idea on how to use term to our advantage. 

I guarantee he's never accept that offer. It effectively ends any future earning potential. His agent would slap him silly if he even considered it 

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I guarantee he's never accept that offer. It effectively ends any future earning potential. His agent would slap him silly if he even considered it 

How much future does he have?   He's 34 now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

How much future does he have?   He's 34 now.

If he signs a 2 year $3m aav contract he potentially has a another year or 2 to play. If he signs a 6 year $1m aav deal, tests it. He's done 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

If he signs a 2 year $3m aav contract he potentially has a another year or 2 to play. If he signs a 6 year $1m aav deal, tests it. He's done 

We'll see I guess.   He have no idea what plans for the future he and his family have made.  Hockey takes a toll on aging bodies and he may feel a few more years will be enough.   One of your scenarios takes him to 36/38; the other to 40.  Not sure either one is likely but as I said, we'll see.

16 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

We'll see I guess.   He have no idea what plans for the future he and his family have made.  Hockey takes a toll on aging bodies and he may feel a few more years will be enough.   One of your scenarios takes him to 36/38; the other to 40.  Not sure either one is likely but as I said, we'll see.

Agreed

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

I’ve said it before, but some of Hronek’s value comes from the fact he can keep up with (most) of Hughes’ minutes.  

Hard to measure the effect of having a consistent, regular partner and not the committee he’s been saddled with in the past. A consistent partner with high end puck skills and a dangerous point shot to boot.  

Not saying we have to keep him, but IMO it’s not as easy as replacing him with even a guy like Tanev.  Maybe Roy or Demelo.

Yup, that's what people don't seem to understand.  Hronek played over 23min a night!  There are not a lot of RHD that can play those kinds of minutes and hold their own.

In comparison, Tanev played 19:41 ATOI this season.  Roy at 20:54.  DeMelo at 21:44.  Hronek... 23:26.  Hronek in 2022-23... 24:17 !

People really are not giving Hronek enough credit for how big a hole he filled this past season.  In years past, like you said, it was a committee.  Luke Schenn played around 17min a night when he was Hughes' partner.

• ThereItIs 1

Question:  Hronek's QO is 5.28M.  If the Canucks qualify him what happens?  Does he have to sign for that for one year or does he have the ability to go to arbitration or...?

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Question:  Hronek's QO is 5.28M.  If the Canucks qualify him what happens?  Does he have to sign for that for one year or does he have the ability to go to arbitration or...?

Arbitration

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Arbitration

Ok thanks.

So if we qualify him and he choses arbitration what is the likely result of that? What contract would come out of that likely. I'm wondering if it is likely that is what happens here? Thoughts?

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean if he can get 4 mill and we’re trying to lock him in around 3 mill then we’re kicking in an extra year. I’m oddly okay with 3 years for Myers at 3.25 mill a year.

Myers at 3.25 x 2 and Cole at 2.25 x 1

The Empties see this coming. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ok thanks.

So if we qualify him and he choses arbitration what is the likely result of that? What contract would come out of that likely. I'm wondering if it is likely that is what happens here? Thoughts?

Most likely that Hronek files for arbitration (not the Canucks).

Given his performance I would suggest arb award will be around $7.5-8.0m.

If the player filed for arb then the Canucks get to choose contract length of 1 or 2 years.

Canucks can also choose to let Hronek walk after the arb award since it will be over $4.6m

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ok thanks.

If he goes to arbitration he gets a deal, the team can't trade him, he walks to free agency and they lose him for nothing

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Most likely that Hronek files for arbitration (not the Canucks).

Given his performance I would suggest arb award will be around $7.5-8.0m.

If the player filed for arb then the Canucks get to choose contract length of 1 or 2 years.

Canucks can also choose to let Hronek walk after the arb award since it will be over $4.6m

Can a longer term contract be agreed to after the arbitration award? 

Just now, stawns said:

If he goes to arbitration he gets a deal, the team can't trade him, he walks to free agency and they lose him for nothing

Not totally correct. The club can keep him for two years and still extend him.