[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

Just now, Alflives said:

What about in the last year of the award? What about after July 1 of the final year?

You can't alter the arbitration contract that gets awarded. But you can certainly sign the player to a new contract that starts after the arbitration contract. They will be a pending UFA at that point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

If he signs a 2 year $3m aav contract he potentially has a another year or 2 to play. If he signs a 6 year $1m aav deal, tests it. He's done 

bullshit. Tyler Pavelski Myers is just about to hit his prime at age 39. He’s just getting warmed up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

You can't alter the arbitration contract that gets awarded. But you can certainly sign the player to a new contract that starts after the arbitration contract. They will be a pending UFA at that point.

Exactly! Just like where several of our current players are. Even if we only have Hronek for two more years and he walks that frees up his cap to sign a UFA to play beside Hughes, which will always be an attractive spot. We are in a very strong position. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Myers at 3M would be great - at 17-19m probably pencilled in as a No. 3/4. 

Would like big Z of course - but if @ 6M - he would need to be set at minimum second pairing not a third.  RT + company will need to judge which pairing and at what price.

I see a team like the Leafs + Berube making an offer.

I do hope this team is also able to sign some players in the 2-3M range that can really help out bottom two lines - we need depth - firstly to take care of injuries particularly in the playoffs - then also to allocate proper ice time management so that players are not overplayed.  We need 4th line players playing a more significant portion of the game, not just a few minutes.

With a strong core already and some money to spend this year to rebuild this roster (if it is done right this time) I think the Canucks have good possibilities in the next few years barring injuries of course.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

We'll see I guess.   He have no idea what plans for the future he and his family have made.  Hockey takes a toll on aging bodies and he may feel a few more years will be enough.   One of your scenarios takes him to 36/38; the other to 40.  Not sure either one is likely but as I said, we'll see.

Ok. Let's look at it the other way.  In the $3m x2 years he gets all his money in 2 years.  Let's say that's it he's not effective any.ore but he's still healthy.  In the $1m x 6 scenario he has to keep chipping away at near league minimum salary for 4 more years just to get the same pay.  Yes. Ltir COULD happen. But it's far from guaranteed.  More likely he'd be buried in the minors.  So tell me again why Myers would even consider signing a $1m x 6 deal when he can easily get $3m+ on the open market 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Ok. Let's look at it the other way.  In the $3m x2 years he gets all his money in 2 years.  Let's say that's it he's not effective any.ore but he's still healthy.  In the $1m x 6 scenario he has to keep chipping away at near league minimum salary for 4 more years just to get the same pay.  Yes. Ltir COULD happen. But it's far from guaranteed.  More likely he'd be buried in the minors.  So tell me again why Myers would even consider signing a $1m x 6 deal when he can easily get $3m+ on the open market 

I've never told you that once so I can't really really tell you again.   I did say we'll see twice.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I've never told you that once so I can't really really tell you again.   I did say we'll see twice.  

You defended an undefendable suggestion 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

You defended an undefendable suggestion 

I just looked back at all the posts I was involved in and do not see how I did.   I'm not sure pursuing this is worthwhile though so I'll just offer my abject apologies and move along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

He can probably get more than 3m on the open market and that's fine, he's earned the right to chase all that green giraffe cash he can get.  But, If he wants to stay in Vancouver I would squeeze him as creatively and beneficially as possible. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I just looked back at all the posts I was involved in and do not see how I did.   I'm not sure pursuing this is worthwhile though so I'll just offer my abject apologies and move along.

It's a conversation about a hypothetical outside the box scenario. You have nothing to apologize for.

• Like 1

Just now, fuzzy said:

It's a conversation about a hypothetical outside the box scenario. You have nothing to apologize for.

I have to admit I wasn't really serious.  I just wanted out.

• Cheers 3

41 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You are a true Canucks fan. No need to apologize. There are clearly fans of other clubs here. Their trolling does make it difficult for us true fans. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Myers at 3M would be great - at 17-19m probably pencilled in as a No. 3/4. 

Would like big Z of course - but if @ 6M - he would need to be set at minimum second pairing not a third.  RT + company will need to judge which pairing and at what price.

I see a team like the Leafs + Berube making an offer.

I do hope this team is also able to sign some players in the 2-3M range that can really help out bottom two lines - we need depth - firstly to take care of injuries particularly in the playoffs - then also to allocate proper ice time management so that players are not overplayed.  We need 4th line players playing a more significant portion of the game, not just a few minutes.

With a strong core already and some money to spend this year to rebuild this roster (if it is done right this time) I think the Canucks have good possibilities in the next few years barring injuries of course.

Why do you think they have money to spend?

I guess if they're going to let their own ufa's go they do, but thats a pretty big risk.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Provost said:

Not really coaching… it was mostly the roster.

For Myers’ entire career, even before the Canucks he has been a great third pairing guy, and below average 2nd pairing guy who just struggles when asked to do too much or to play too many minutes.  He is a 4/5 guy.

The Canucks have had a horrible defence almost the entire time Myers has been here and he has been put into a situation to fail.  We literally had him and OEL as our 2nd pairing shutdown guys.  They did better than they had any right to for a season, but it was a square peg in a round hole.  There is no coaching that could have made him 

The model of having three solid pairs to split the load really put him in a position to succeed this season.  His ice time dropped substantially to less than 19 minutes a game and after the top pairing, all four regular D had pretty similar ice time numbers.  I would say all four of them are 4/5 guys and that can work.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You can hide an immobile guy prone to occasional gaffes inside a deep defence with good structure. He really eliminated a lot of those this year. He was way to easy to force into mistakes in the last years. When he played on the Jets he was super effective and that was on the 3rd line behind two good players.

11 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Coaching is one thing but the player also has to be ready and willing to be coached. I think Myers had the realization that he's not the guy he thought he was and stopped trying to be something he's not. Myers is lucky enough to have had enough ability to stick around long enough for the light bulb to come on.

Yeah, somebody finally showed him a mirror and that he isn't actually Bobby Orr. Biggest thing though they taught him not to leave his post in front of the net unless he's like 95% sure he's getting the puck. Otherwise he doesn't engage too far out on the boards.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why do you think they have money to spend?

I guess if they're going to let their own ufa's go they do, but thats a pretty big risk.

Money to spend to rebuild the roster if that is the direction they want - first time in a while we have so many expiring contracts all together hence the 24M in cap space. 

Only downside - look at the cap situation of other teams and many have 15M+ - thus some teams are going to overpay if they think that is the missing piece.  Ill let the professionals handle who to choose from / re-sign as they will also look at who fits into RTs system.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

He can probably get more than 3m on the open market and that's fine, he's earned the right to chase all that green giraffe cash he can get.  But, If he wants to stay in Vancouver I would squeeze him as creatively and beneficially as possible. 

It's a ridiculous suggestion.  Period. If I was Jim and Allvin came to me with thst offer I'd tell him to go fuck himself and start packing.  It's beyond insulting 

Let me frame it another way.  Let's say $6m is tge total number.  Myers wants it over 2 seasons. Allvin says sure, we'll pay you $6m. But you're gonna have to play 328 more games than you intended to get it.   How do you think he'd react? 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's a ridiculous suggestion.  Period. If I was Jim and Allvin came to me with thst offer I'd tell him to go fuck himself and start packing.  It's beyond insulting 

Let me frame it another way.  Let's say $6m is tge total number.  Myers wants it over 2 seasons. Allvin says sure, we'll pay you $6m. But you're gonna have to play 328 more games than you intended to get it.   How do you think he'd react? 

Not to mention that he is an extremely popular teammate and looked upon as one of the leaders in the room........how are his teammates going to feel about them preaching about culture, and then turn around and pull a low ball stunt like that on a guy held in high esteem by his teammates?

• Upvote 1

Just now, fuzzy said:

I'm sure Myers understands it's a business and if he's offered a contract he doesn't like he won't sign it. Period.  😏

He definitely wouldn’t sign that. Only a scrub with zero self worth would 

3 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I'm sure Myers understands it's a business and if he's offered a contract he doesn't like he won't sign it. Period.  😏

Sure, but there's getting a contract you think is lower than you're worth and there's an insult after years of service and being a big part of the success this year 

He'll take a discount, but he still deserves something in the ballpark of his value.  I think the $3m x 3 is a great deal for both sides

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He definitely wouldn’t sign that. Only a scrub with zero self worth would 

Myers had a widening at home in Kelowna l. Of course he’d sign here to stay close. 
It’s not like it’s the sh*t hole of Montreal’s would have to play on. Seriously, is there a worse city for an English speaking player than Zmontreal?