[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

He has a child with special needs and because of that the family wants/needs to stay here. He’ll be offered a fair contract and he’ll accept it because he’s made his money in his career and what matters now is his family, the team, and his commitment to it. People dog him but he’s all heart. 

I think he showed this down the stretch and in the playoffs. Hughes and Hronek disappeared. Zadorov and Myers stepped up big time. When you've got to give just that little bit extra I was surprised it was Myers leading the charge. He could have easily folded but he showed us how important he can be and I think you have to respect, and pay that. 

Funny how 1-2 years ago everyone wanted him out, he was making mistakes everywhere, but you could argue he's playing the best hockey of his career now (apart from maybe his rookie season lol).

Class guy despite everything that's gone on in his career and even with the Canucks and is clearly a massive part of this team. He's the top defensive RD on this team, top PKer and was a beast in the playoffs and that's what we need to focus on now. When you look at teams who struggle in the playoffs, they try and mould their roster around playoff performers and shed guys who didn't perform well.

It's too soon IMO to throw Hronek away but we've got to keep an eye open with him, he can't have lacklustre playoffs year after year but he's still young. Zadorov and Myers stepped up massively. Hughes was fairly average but obviously he's not going anywhere. I'd put stock into what Myers just did for us and based on his late-season and playoff performance, keep him around. He's 34 years old now so a 2x3M deal would be nice.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, stawns said:

Not a 180 for everyone.  Some of us recognized it was bad coaching that was the issue........same with OEL, who is playing very very well under PM's system

I would have liked to see what OEL could have done under our defensive system but obviously we needed that cap for other moves. He's dropped 9G 30+ points playing bottom pairing minutes on arguably the best team in the league, so would have taken minutes in Vancouver. He'd probably our 2nd or 3rd pairing LD amongst Soucy, especially when Soucy was injured for so long, but I doubt his offensive numbers would have been that good.

His skating and puck moving ability suits Florida well whereas I think our defencemen have to be big, strong and physical.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I would have liked to see what OEL could have done under our defensive system but obviously we needed that cap for other moves. He's dropped 9G 30+ points playing bottom pairing minutes on arguably the best team in the league, so would have taken minutes in Vancouver. He'd probably our 2nd or 3rd pairing LD amongst Soucy, especially when Soucy was injured for so long, but I doubt his offensive numbers would have been that good.

His skating and puck moving ability suits Florida well whereas I think our defencemen have to be big, strong and physical.

If they just could have been patient for even half the year, he likely would have had a solid half season and they could have dealt him.........they wouldn't have received much back and might have had to added a sweetener, but it's still better than a huge dead cap hit.   

They get a lot of praise, and rightfully so, but they botched the OEL thing big time

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they just could have been patient for even half the year, he likely would have had a solid half season and they could have dealt him.........they wouldn't have received much back and might have had to added a sweetener, but it's still better than a huge dead cap hit.   

They get a lot of praise, and rightfully so, but they botched the OEL thing big time

Yeah I did think it was a bit trigger-happy and that's one thing our management can maybe be scrutinized for. They came off as quite conservative to start but looking at some of the deals now, they always seem very early and eager. It works well in some cases and not so well in others. That OEL buyout was a statement move which I suppose facilitated a lot of the other defencemen we brought in before - if we had waited, we maybe wouldn't have been able to bring in Cole and Soucy and then Zadorov later on could have still happened.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I did think it was a bit trigger-happy and that's one thing our management can maybe be scrutinized for. They came off as quite conservative to start but looking at some of the deals now, they always seem very early and eager. It works well in some cases and not so well in others. That OEL buyout was a statement move which I suppose facilitated a lot of the other defencemen we brought in before - if we had waited, we maybe wouldn't have been able to bring in Cole and Soucy and then Zadorov later on could have still happened.

I think it was facilitated by RT.........if rumours are true, didn't like OEL in AZ

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think he showed this down the stretch and in the playoffs. Hughes and Hronek disappeared. Zadorov and Myers stepped up big time. When you've got to give just that little bit extra I was surprised it was Myers leading the charge. He could have easily folded but he showed us how important he can be and I think you have to respect, and pay that. 

Funny how 1-2 years ago everyone wanted him out, he was making mistakes everywhere, but you could argue he's playing the best hockey of his career now (apart from maybe his rookie season lol).

Class guy despite everything that's gone on in his career and even with the Canucks and is clearly a massive part of this team. He's the top defensive RD on this team, top PKer and was a beast in the playoffs and that's what we need to focus on now. When you look at teams who struggle in the playoffs, they try and mould their roster around playoff performers and shed guys who didn't perform well.

It's too soon IMO to throw Hronek away but we've got to keep an eye open with him, he can't have lacklustre playoffs year after year but he's still young. Zadorov and Myers stepped up massively. Hughes was fairly average but obviously he's not going anywhere. I'd put stock into what Myers just did for us and based on his late-season and playoff performance, keep him around. He's 34 years old now so a 2x3M deal would be nice.

Not everyone

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Sure, but there's getting a contract you think is lower than you're worth and there's an insult after years of service and being a big part of the success this year 

He'll take a discount, but he still deserves something in the ballpark of his value.  I think the $3m x 3 is a great deal for both sides

Don’t have a problem with the term or money but what about movement restrictions? If he can be moved in year 3 it is fair.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it was facilitated by RT.........if rumours are true, didn't like OEL in AZ

OEL, when he was in his prime, folded like a cheap suit under the NHL Coach of the Year, in Arizona.  Some individuals can't get along/work with other people just like real life.  The opposite happens well.  Former Canucks draft pick Forsling was tossed around like week old stale bread but always thrived under coach Q.

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Don’t have a problem with the term or money but what about movement restrictions? If he can be moved in year 3 it is fair.

He's such a great skater, I don't really see him losing much in 3 years........he's only 34, so he's still got mileage.  Id like to see him retire a Canuck, personally

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OEL, when he was in his prime, folded like a cheap suit under the NHL Coach of the Year, in Arizona.  Some individuals can't get along/work with other people just like real life.  The opposite happens well.  Former Canucks draft pick Forsling was tossed around like week old stale bread but always thrived under coach Q.

And that's fine, but they should have told RT to make it work with him for 3-4 months and get back on track so they could move him.  The buyout should have been the absolute last resort 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's such a great skater, I don't really see him losing much in 3 years........he's only 34, so he's still got mileage.  Id like to see him retire a Canuck, personally

Past 3 years is the red zone though for sure 37 is getting up there. He's looked really good with Soucy they complement each other's style

Myers played very well this year but that doesn't change the fact he played like crap for five of his six year contract.  It would be fine if they resign him but there are more important guys to get locked up like Joshua and Big Z

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

And that's fine, but they should have told RT to make it work with him for 3-4 months and get back on track so they could move him.  The buyout should have been the absolute last resort 

Who would want OEL at that cap hit unless you wanted to wait that period of time for some other team to hire Jim Benning as their GM?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bell said:

Myers played very well this year but that doesn't change the fact he played like crap for five of his six year contract.  It would be fine if they resign him but there are more important guys to get locked up like Joshua and Big Z

He played fine until the wheels fell off the coaching, under Green then BB.  As predicted, once there was a coach with an actual defensive structure, he was back to being good.  

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who would want OEL at that cap hit unless you wanted to wait that period of time for some other team to hire Jim Benning as their GM?

If he was playing well and the Canucks added a sweetener or retained, they'd have found him a home.  He's playing very well in Fla.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he was playing well and the Canucks added a sweetener or retained, they'd have found him a home.  He's playing very well in Fla.

They would've had to added such a sweetener it would've given the other team diabetes.🤣  Yeah, he's playing well in Fla because they don't have to deal with his old cap hit (6 million in extra cap space to work with - that in itself could probably mean the Big Russian is re-signed for us).

(in my opinion)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bell said:

I disagree.  I (my opinion) think he played well for more than 1 year of his six year contract.  No question the 'wheels fell off at some point'.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They needed to construct their roster in the summer. They didn’t have time for a half a season to see if OEL was a fit. Soucy and Cole were brought in in the summer and effectively took his cap space. 

He’s fine on the bottom pairing in Florida at $2.25 million. It was never going to work in Vancouver at $7.2 million. To get rid of that contract would have taken two first round picks. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They needed to construct their roster in the summer. They didn’t have time for a half a season to see if OEL was a fit. Soucy and Cole were brought in in the summer and effectively took his cap space. 

He’s fine on the bottom pairing in Florida at $2.25 million. It was never going to work in Vancouver at $7.2 million. To get rid of that contract would have taken two first round picks. 

Trading the picks would have been a better option than creating almost a decade worth of dead cap.  You can make trades for first round picks.  You can't undo the damage from sabotaging the franchise with a buyout.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why wouldn't he work?   he's still a good player and they reconstructed.  Maybe the sign Soucy Their dcorp for one year and now they have to do it again, this time, with years of a huge dead cap.  

It's going to cost them at least one very good dman.

Gotta squeeze guys like Myers, Blueger, and Joshua a little bit cause we might have to overpay for other guys like Zadorov, Hronek, and/or Lindholm.

I would draw the line at 3.1 for Myers and around 2.5 for Joshua. Can’t be overpaying bottom pair D and third line players with one good season.