[Speculation] Myers close to being extended

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta squeeze guys like Myers, Blueger, and Joshua a little bit cause we might have to overpay for other guys like Zadorov, Hronek, and/or Lindholm.

I would draw the line at 3.1 for Myers and around 2.5 for Joshua. Can’t be overpaying bottom pair D and third line players with one good season.

I think term and trade protection is just as important, if not more important, for Myers.

I think DJ has priced himself out of Van

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think term and trade protection is just as important, if not more important, for Myers.

I think DJ has priced himself out of Van

If Joshua’s smart he’ll take the Canucks offer. We’ve seen players try and play this game before only to realize come July 1 they’re not as valuable as they thought they were.

At least in Van he knows he can put up numbers and can likely earn himself another big paycheck. Can’t guarantee that elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why wouldn't he work?   he's still a good player and they reconstructed.  Maybe the sign Soucy Their dcorp for one year and now they have to do it again, this time, with years of a huge dead cap.  

It's going to cost them at least one very good dman.

Because we didn’t need a $7.2 million Dman on the 3rd pairing. And OEL is a terrible fit with Myers. 

What part of we didn’t have room for a 3rd pairing $7.2 million Dman do you not understand?  Florida is paying him $2.25 million. At that cost we could have still signed Soucy and Cole. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If Joshua’s smart he’ll take the Canucks offer. We’ve seen players try and play this game before only to realize come July 1 they’re not as valuable as they thought they were.

At least in Van he knows he can put up numbers and can likely earn himself another big paycheck. Can’t guarantee that elsewhere.

I agree, he'd be dumb not to take it, but this is his career contract ..........up until now it's been league minimum, or in the ballpark.  He's going to want to maximize his value, imo 

Hopefully, I'm wrong and he comes back at a good price

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If he was playing well and the Canucks added a sweetener or retained, they'd have found him a home.  He's playing very well in Fla.

A good, healthy off season makes such a difference.

This year OEL did not come into camp recovering from a broken foot.  So had a better year.

The year that Bieksa came back after his Achilles surgery was not good- but the year after that was good.

This  next training camp Mikheyev will come in healthy, and not recovering from surgery.

Sadly lots of people 'forget' that just because they can play, doesn't mean they are 100%.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Because we didn’t need a $7.2 million Dman on the 3rd pairing. And OEL is a terrible fit with Myers. 

What part of we didn’t have room for a 3rd pairing $7.2 million Dman do you not understand?  Florida is paying him $2.25 million. At that cost we could have still signed Soucy and Cole. 

He wouldn't have been a bottom pairing dman, he would have been top 4 and there wouldn't be a soucy.  

All they'd have to do is wait a half season and build up his value again to give themselves options.  Even if they still wanted to buy him out, waiting a year would have made a significant difference on his buyout penalty.

Bottom line is they didn't do a very good job of long term planning on that move and now it's going to hurt them for the next 5 years

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

He wouldn't have been a bottom pairing dman, he would have been top 4 and there wouldn't be a soucy.  

All they'd have to do is wait a half season and build up his value again to give themselves options.  Even if they still wanted to buy him out, waiting a year would have made a significant difference on his buyout penalty.

Bottom line is they didn't do a very good job of long term planning on that move and now it's going to hurt them for the next 5 years

I’d rather have Soucy than OEL. And same with Tocchet and everyone else. As well as Cole. Our defence was not the problem this year. Our problem was scoring. OEL was never going to get a second of power play time. Even Hronek barely got any PP time. No way he’s getting anything close to 32 points in Vancouver. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, stawns said:

Can’t just say that if we kept him this and that would happen though. It’s all speculation. 

What can be stated as fact is that he was moved, and because of that it enabled further moves which had a cascading effect and vaulted us into being Division champs and almost into the 3rd round of the playoffs. Sure it’s left us with dead cap, but it’s manageable and can be worked around provided we drafted well (which we have) and we obtain players who play above contract value. Done both. 

I understand people don’t like dead cap, no one does. But you can’t argue against the immediate flexibility it provided and will still continue to provide as we navigate it against NHL cap increases. It was the lesser of two evils as there was no proof that OEL was going to up his value. No proof whatsoever. He was given ample time to do so in Van and it didn’t work out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who would want OEL at that cap hit unless you wanted to wait that period of time for some other team to hire Jim Benning as their GM?

Yeah, like you I almost break into laughter when I see this written by some of the old Benning faithful.

A person would probably have to wait a very long time before some other team hires Jim Benning as their GM or as a Pro Scout.

He was exceedingly terrible at both.

He could probably be the president of Alf's Moran [sic] Club.

I look around the NHL at the various GM's that now populate the 32 teams and give a bit of sigh. There is no apparent Mike Milbury or Jim Benning level of GM to slough off a team's unwanted players on.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Can’t just say that if we kept him this and that would happen though. It’s all speculation. 

What can be stated as fact is that he was moved, and because of that it enabled further moves which had a cascading effect and vaulted us into being Division champs and almost into the 3rd round of the playoffs. Sure it’s left us with dead cap, but it’s manageable and can be worked around provided we drafted well (which we have) and we obtain players who play above contract value. Done both. 

I understand people don’t like dead cap, no one does. But you can’t argue against the immediate flexibility it provided and will still continue to provide as we navigate it against NHL cap increases. It was the lesser of two evils as there was no proof that OEL was going to up his value. No proof whatsoever. He was given ample time to do so in Van and it didn’t work out.

But I can argue it's going to cost them some significant pieces and much needed depth during the heart of their competitive window.

That's incontrovertible 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d rather have Soucy than OEL. And same with Tocchet and everyone else. As well as Cole. Our defence was not the problem this year. Our problem was scoring. OEL was never going to get a second of power play time. Even Hronek barely got any PP time. No way he’s getting anything close to 32 points in Vancouver. 

And I'd rather have $5m to spend on players when they'll need it the most, rather than paying a player to (possibly) win multiple Cups with another team

And I'm not saying that they should have kept OEL for the length of his deal, just long enough to restore his value

Edited by stawns

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, he'd be dumb not to take it, but this is his career contract ..........up until now it's been league minimum, or in the ballpark.  He's going to want to maximize his value, imo 

Hopefully, I'm wrong and he comes back at a good price

I dunno I think he should be looking to his next contract. Prove yourself for a couple more seasons then you can get the big 4-5 mil deal.

No guarantees any team has the stomach to go more than a few years on a relatively unproven player. If he doesn’t perform on that contract, even if it’s 3+ mil, it might be tough to get another big deal.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I dunno I think he should be looking to his next contract. Prove yourself for a couple more seasons then you can get the big 4-5 mil deal.

No guarantees any team has the stomach to go more than a few years on a relatively unproven player. If he doesn’t perform on that contract, even if it’s 3+ mil, it might be tough to get another big deal.

Again, I'm with 100% in principal, I just don't think he's going to pass up a big payday

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

But I can argue it's going to cost them some significant pieces and much needed depth during the heart of their competitive window.

That's incontrovertible 

for sure, but like you stated, we’re NOW in that competitive window in part because we made the move to buyout OEL. I’d rather us be in that window than potentially stagnating because we chose to overpay one underperforming player who prevented us from adding valuable assets. Eriksson 2.0

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

for sure, but like you stated, we’re NOW in that competitive window in part because we made the move to buyout OEL. I’d rather us be in that window than potentially stagnating because we chose to overpay one underperforming player who prevented us from adding valuable assets. Eriksson 2.0

They're just opening that window and I'd say there at least a couple years from being a true competitor........right when they'll be paying OEL almost $5m to play somewhere else.  That $5m would be awfully handy to have at that point 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're just opening that window and I'd say there at least a couple years from being a true competitor........right when they'll be paying OEL almost $5m to play somewhere else.  That $5m would be awfully handy to have at that point 

And in two years, cap increase could somewhat reduce the impact.

Two or more current prospects will likely be regulars on the roster on ELCs. And in that time we’ve given the young core their taste of the playoffs and the experience of how to prepare for it. 

it was a strategic move that has already paid off. If we hadn’t made changes to our pipeline I’d be with you on this, but the proof is in the pudding that it’s working for us (for now). 

For perspective’s sake, take a look around the league at who’s carrying how much dead cap and compare our progress against them in that time. Even teams like MIN who are marred in it can still make progress and be competitive. We are way ahead of the curve on this (again, for now). 

Edited by RWJC
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Canucks wouldn’t get $5M to spend elsewhere as they would most likely have to retain some salary.  Plus, I think JR/PA were under the gun to turn things around and also EP mentioned wanting to play for winner.

To be fair, I also didn’t want OEL to be bought out cuz I really hated the dead cap.  But in the end, it worked out last season cuz Canucks made significant strides to the postseason.  Time will tell if they can reproduce during the next 3 seasons when the dead cap hits hardest.

So basically a lot of moving parts.  

Edited by BPA
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We will see if that trend continues. Part of it was the flat cap 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep, that happened with Motte. He wanted more than the Canucks offer so we traded him to NY. He then found out no teams wanted to prioritize him so he didn't get signed until September and for only $1.35M.

Joshua will be more sought after than Motte, but likely still won't be a priority for most teams.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Again, I'm with 100% in principal, I just don't think he's going to pass up a big payday

This is his one opportunity to set himself up financially. He won't find a better fit then where he played in this line up which put him in a spot to succeed. 

Does he stay and earn in the 2m - 3m range or does he jump ship to secure maybe an extra year at 3m+ ?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

We list on game seven to the Coilers (who were healthy) without our Vezina goalie and our elite 1C playing on one leg. We are a great club right now. Or do you think we’re still the 88 point team you predicted before last season when you were totally wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

They just proved they’re a true competitor.

You could argue they’re a couple years away from being a true contender, but they’ll definitely be in the conversation if they follow up this season with another really strong one.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They just proved they’re a true competitor.

You could argue they’re a couple years away from being a true contender, but they’ll definitely be in the conversation if they follow up this season with another really strong one.

Sorry, I meant to say contender, not competitor