[Speculation] Rangers Rumors: NYR Kaapo Kakko Likely to Be Moved 

Rangers Rumors: Kaapo Kakko Likely to Be Moved 

Michael DeRosa Wednesday, May 29, 2024 New York Rangers

The New York Rangers have some big decisions to make once the offseason is here. One of them will be with 2019 second-overall pick Kaapo Kakko. The 23-year-old is a restricted free agent who is eligible for arbitration, so he will be a player to watch incredibly closely this offseason.

Due to Kakko's disappointing 2023-24 season, NHL insider Frank Seravalli listed Kakko at the No. 15 spot on his latest Trade Targets board for Daily Faceoff.

The 2023-24 season did not treat Kakko kindly. After missing time due to injury, the skilled winger just could not heat up. In 61 regular-season games, he had 13 goals to go along with 19 points. It was a notable decline in pace of production, as he had 18 goals and 40 points in 82 games last season.

Kakko has not been making a great case for himself this postseason, either, as he has just a goal and an assist in 13 playoff games. With Kakko entering the summer with arbitration rights, the Rangers could very well look to move him.

Kakko has been the subject of trade rumors since last season, and they escalated near the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline. While a move did not go down, it would not be shocking in the slightest if the Rangers really listened to offers for him this summer. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/rangers-rumors-kaapo-kakko-likely-be.html

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Rangers Rumors: Kaapo Kakko Likely to Be Moved 

Michael DeRosa Wednesday, May 29, 2024 New York Rangers

The New York Rangers have some big decisions to make once the offseason is here. One of them will be with 2019 second-overall pick Kaapo Kakko. The 23-year-old is a restricted free agent who is eligible for arbitration, so he will be a player to watch incredibly closely this offseason.

Due to Kakko's disappointing 2023-24 season, NHL insider Frank Seravalli listed Kakko at the No. 15 spot on his latest Trade Targets board for Daily Faceoff.

The 2023-24 season did not treat Kakko kindly. After missing time due to injury, the skilled winger just could not heat up. In 61 regular-season games, he had 13 goals to go along with 19 points. It was a notable decline in pace of production, as he had 18 goals and 40 points in 82 games last season.

Kakko has not been making a great case for himself this postseason, either, as he has just a goal and an assist in 13 playoff games. With Kakko entering the summer with arbitration rights, the Rangers could very well look to move him.

Kakko has been the subject of trade rumors since last season, and they escalated near the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline. While a move did not go down, it would not be shocking in the slightest if the Rangers really listened to offers for him this summer. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/rangers-rumors-kaapo-kakko-likely-be.html

straight across for Mik 😅

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Would you do a Hoglander - Kaako swap? 

NO WAY! I think the only reason why Kaako is even mentioned is due to his high draft pick. However, there was ANOTHER Rangers' 1st round pick that ended up heading to Russia....

The Rangers are not really known for drafting (or developing) well, at least recently.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Higher cap hit, less production, trending the wrong way...

I would. I'm a big Hog fan. I guess it depends on what Kakkos extnsion looks like. We have Lekkerimaki coming 

1 hour ago, NHLer said:

Would you do a Hoglander - Kaako swap? 

No way. I see Höglander as the better player than Kaako, even though Kapo was drafted higher and has a higher draft pedigree. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

If a team can get him back on last year's track, could be a steal of a deal to be had

Kaako's value is so low. I don't think it would take much to get him honestly. A late round pick for him? He would be a project at this point of his career. What does he have statistically? Career high of 40 points, and 18 goals? 

Hard pass. 

10 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

CAL and or MTL will be all over this

Edit - I'd do Podkolzin for Kaako tho

Podz I would do. At this point his trade value would probably be a equivalent to a late 2nd round pick, at most. Probably less.

Hoglander though? He's a proven scorer at the NHL level. Much more value than Kaako, IMO.

• Like 1

His price is probably a late 2nd/3rd round pick or a B prospect.

There will be teams that take a flier on him due to his age and draft pedigree, otherwise he could be a candidate for not being qualified.

He won’t get more than his QO, so not a big risk.  $2.2 million for a couple years… if he can be a 3rd line replacement in the event Joshua leaves for more money it might be worth a look.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Kaako's value is so low. I don't think it would take much to get him honestly. A late round pick for him? He would be a project at this point of his career. What does he have statistically? Career high of 40 points, and 18 goals? 

Hard pass. 

He's only 23

• Like 2

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Hard pass. 

So a Mik-Kakko swap isn't out of the question. 😄

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Hard pass. 

Not fantastic numbers, but still fairly young (23)...

How old were the Sedins? McCann, and our very own JT Miller.....?

JT Miller at 23? career high of 22 goals and 43 point... also while playing for the Rangers... Quite similar numbers...

Naslund at 23? career high 22 goals and 55 points, followed by 21 goals 40 points and 14 goals 34 points...

Think there will be a lot more interest than expected should he be made available...only last year everyone was writing Lafreniere off as well...

Edited by spook007
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Not fantastic numbers, but still fairly young (23)...

How old were the Sedins? McCann, and our very own JT Miller.....?

JT Miller at 23? career high of 22 goals and 43 point... also while playing for the Rangers... Quite similar numbers...

Naslund at 23? career high 22 goals and 55 points, followed by 21 goals 40 points and 14 goals 34 points...

Think there will be a lot more interest than expected should he be made available...only last year everyone was writing Lafreniere off as well...

Yeah, thats true about Lafreniere. It's a big risk though, I guess, depending on what's going the other way for a guy who hasn't up to this point, lived up to his draft pedigree and expectations. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, thats true about Lafreniere. It's a big risk though, I guess, depending on what's going the other way for a guy who hasn't up to this point, lived up to his draft pedigree and expectations. 

I think we expect all the players to be stars earlier than ever before, and while some do, a lot don't until their mid twenties... 🙂