[discussion] extend or trade Boeser?

4 hours ago, Goose said:

He will be a UFA for his age 29 year. 

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Brock will be 28 next summer not 29. So he will be looking for an 8 year extension. 8x8 might get it done. He’ll wait until during the season to sign as he probably wants to know if he will be fully healthy. Same with the Canucks. 

“For”. Year 1 of whatever contract he signs will be for his age 29 season. Reading comprehension.

1 hour ago, Goose said:

“For”. Year 1 of whatever contract he signs will be for his age 29 season. Reading comprehension.

I’m sorry but my reading comprehension is fine. He will be 28 next summer. He will spend the majority of his first year in his new contract at age 28 not 29…

Got to retire a Canuck but I wonder when they'll extend him. We should wait until at least mid next year to think about it - that last year could have been a once-off and we'd hate to give him a monster 8M deal on the back of it. That being said, if he's scoring at a 40 goal pace again next year he's going to warrant a big cap hit.

I think a 7x7M deal now would be good, it's obviously not going to age well though.

• Cheers 1

During the offseason (this summer) $7-7.5M x 8yrs gets it done.  It’s a fair contract given his past point production and probable future productions.  I think Boeser would welcome getting it done early and not have it as a distraction (kinda like EP).

• Cheers 2

On 5/30/2024 at 7:55 PM, Warhippy said:

We do nothing with him until we know what's up with his clotting issues because that could be a LTIR issue

It was from a blocked shot. He and multiple members of medical staff have said he will be in blood thinners for a couple months and then will be cleared to play again. His regular training regiment won’t even be affected this summer. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:33 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Brock will be 28 next summer not 29. So he will be looking for an 8 year extension. 8x8 might get it done. He’ll wait until during the season to sign as he probably wants to know if he will be fully healthy. Same with the Canucks. 

I think we should throw 11x8 at him. 

After all we can just turn the salary cap option off. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, CanucksFan26 said:

Brock is a keeper in my book. He has chemistry with Miller and is friends with the core players. He’s finally shown what he can do at full health. 7 or 8 years would be fine with me. 

I agree. He's a glue guy and someone who's an example to other players on how to elevate and evolve their game. 

• Like 1

Can understand the concern.   Skinner is a decent Brock comp.   Calder winner, a bit better pedigree, explodes just prior to free agency then a massive pay day.   Brock will get paid by us or someone else.   Would be great if he's signed this summer and can replicate. 

This is where I see things playing out as well.

Its fine to debate whether he should be traded or not but he is a top six scoring winger who is part of this club's core. You simply don't walk away from that. The idea is the team has a window here opening that can be built on longer term. Trading Boeser just creates a hole in the lineup that you'd have to pay higher to acquire through free agency. The timing for him to extend here just works.

Its the same argument with people talking about trading away Hronek because he needs a new contract. We have heard crazy ideas like moving the Canucks top pair right handed dman to create room to sign Tanev etc. Moving these core pieces as a window is opening or in its infancy is not the answer.

• Cheers 4

I don't see him getting up to $8M... he just had his highest producing season at age 27.  So we're likely seeing peak Boeser now.  He scored 40 goals, but he was scoring at an insanely high 19.6% shot%.  His career average is 13.8%.  Realistically, Boeser is probably more of a 60 to 70 point guy in peak form (30 to 35 goals with about 30 assists to 35 assists).  That tells me he's more of a $7M x 8 player or slightly less if we're paying him until he's 36 years old.

• Cheers 1

On 5/31/2024 at 11:52 AM, Bobby James said:

Just out of curiosity, if Boeser cools off going forward (compared to this year) and ends up being a 30 goal/60ish point player -> then what price and term would people want to sign him for? 

See above.  I think he's gonna be a $7M AAV kinda guy.  I don't see him putting up 80pts+ to be an $8M+ player.

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't see him getting up to $8M... he just had his highest producing season at age 27.  So we're likely seeing peak Boeser now.  He scored 40 goals, but he was scoring at an insanely high 19.6% shot%.  His career average is 13.8%.  Realistically, Boeser is probably more of a 60 to 70 point guy in peak form (30 to 35 goals with about 30 assists to 35 assists).  That tells me he's more of a $7M x 8 player or slightly less if we're paying him until he's 36 years old.

He's easily getting $8 million on the open market, even if he's at 35 goals.  See Horvat, PLD, Fiala, etc.  He may take less to stay in Vancouver, but if he's putting up 35 goals and 70+ points next season he's getting $8 million from somebody.  I can see him agreeing to a 7.5x8 contract with Vancouver...

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's easily getting $8 million on the open market, even if he's at 35 goals.  See Horvat, PLD, Fiala, etc.  He may take less to stay in Vancouver, but if he's putting up 35 goals and 70+ points next season he's getting $8 million from somebody.  I can see him agreeing to a 7.5x8 contract with Vancouver...

Horvat is an 'okay' comparable, but he was on a tear before NYI re-signed him.  Remember he was on pace for over 50 goals after NYI traded for him and re-signed him.

PLD signed at 25yo... Brock is gonna be 3 to 4 years older when he puts pen to paper.  So PLD will be paid through his prime years and it ends before he even hits 34yo.  Brock will be on the wrong side of 35 when he's done his deal.

Fiala signed his deal after putting up 85 points in 82 games.  That's not Brock.

We'll have to wait and see what Boeser does next year.  If he's back under 70 points (ie. 35 goals and 30ish assists), I just can't see $8M. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Horvat is an 'okay' comparable, but he was on a tear before NYI re-signed him.  Remember he was on pace for over 50 goals after NYI traded for him and re-signed him.

PLD signed at 25yo... Brock is gonna be 3 to 4 years older when he puts pen to paper.  So PLD will be paid through his prime years and it ends before he even hits 34yo.  Brock will be on the wrong side of 35 when he's done his deal.

Fiala signed his deal after putting up 85 points in 82 games.  That's not Brock.

We'll have to wait and see what Boeser does next year.  If he's back under 70 points (ie. 35 goals and 30ish assists), I just can't see $8M. 

The cap is going up.  $8 million is the new $7 million...

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This is where I see things playing out as well.

Its fine to debate whether he should be traded or not but he is a top six scoring winger who is part of this club's core. You simply don't walk away from that. The idea is the team has a window here opening that can be built on longer term. Trading Boeser just creates a hole in the lineup that you'd have to pay higher to acquire through free agency. The timing for him to extend here just works.

Its the same argument with people talking about trading away Hronek because he needs a new contract. We have heard crazy ideas like moving the Canucks top pair right handed dman to create room to sign Tanev etc. Moving these core pieces as a window is opening or in its infancy is not the answer.

Great observations. It seems like every thread is starting to sound the same in this regard. 

Our window is just beginning and dynamics have changed. Imo, many are still stuck in a mentality from the previous era. Brock has finally become the player we've waited for him to be, stepped into that potential, and is the player we need. Like Hronek, he's another known component. We don't need to keep creating holes in the favor of the unknown. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The cap is going up.  $8 million is the new $7 million...

You're talking to a numbers nerd lol...

$7M of $83.5M = 8.4% of Cap Limit

2024-25 = $87.7M Cap Limit x 8.4% = $7.35M

2025-26 = $92.0M Cap Limit x 8.4% = $7.73M

2026-27 = $94.0M?  Cap Limit x 8.4% = $7.90M

2027-28 = $96.0M?  Cap Limit x 8.4% = $8.06M  Ding ding ding!  $8M reached! 

So once the cap is $12.5M higher than it is today, $7M will be the new $8M... that's a long time from now (possibly 4 years down the road).

Sorry, I'm just buggin ya... I know what you mean 🤣

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not necessarily pushing back, but one point that I think is important to keep on mind is not being afraid of roster turnover IF a deal that helps the team is available.  

Brock is definitely worth extending for a number of big reasons.

But I also look to something like the Fiala trade (albeit traded for different reasons) where if the right deal exists, you can help your team short/long term.  

Again, this topic is just to open up discussion.  I wondered when Allvin talked about making “tough decisions” whether Brock might fall into that category.

I can't see Boeser  asking the world. He may well be one of the most intelligent players on the team. He's been a fantastic partner with JT Miller,

but he's had a few injuries and gone threw the slow death of his Dad. He also was instrumental, partly, in Pettersson's early years.

It's a guess on my part I think he'll take less to stay with the Canucks, if management want's him, and quite frankly, why wouldn't they?

Caps going up somewhat. Boes makes 6,650,000 , I'd say the flow would be willing to go 7,300,000 for 7 years, though it would not surprise me

to see him retire from the game before that.. 

• Like 1