[Rumour] Canadiens Linked To Patrik Laine

NHL Trade Rumors: Canadiens Linked To Patrik Laine

James Wilson Friday, May 31, 2024  

In a surprising twist, Patrik Laine has recently been linked to the Montreal Canadiens in trade rumors, as noted by The Hockey News' Lyle Richardson and TVA Sports.

The 26-year-old Finnish forward, known for his sharpshooting abilities and natural goal-scoring talent, has had a tumultuous tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets, marked by injuries and a recent stint in the NHL-NHLPA player assistance program for mental health reasons.

Despite these challenges, Laine’s potential acquisition could significantly bolster the Canadiens’ offensive lineup.

His undeniable scoring ability, highlighted by a 44-goal season with the Winnipeg Jets, makes him an attractive target for Montreal as they seek to enhance their scoring depth alongside emerging stars like Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, and Juraj Slafkovsky.

Over his four seasons with Columbus, the 26-year-old has recorded 64 goals and 74 assists for 138 total points across 174 games played.

The Canadiens have the cap space to absorb Laine's $8.7 million annual salary, and with two years remaining on his contract, the financial risk is relatively limited.

However, acquiring Laine comes with challenges. His injury history and potential struggles under Montreal’s intense media scrutiny are significant concerns.

Additionally, the Columbus Blue Jackets, now under the direction of new GM Don Waddell, are likely to demand a substantial return, potentially including a first-round pick and a promising defensive prospect.

That being said, Montreal's management isn't one to shy away from big trades and Laine could definitely boost their offensive output.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/nhl-trade-rumors-canadiens-linked-to.html

Remember Laine vs Matthews? Pepperidge Farm remembers. What a short lived duel, Laine fell off pretty hard. Looks like injury woes too. Not sure what from, he doesn't play a physical brand of hockey. Montreal said they were open to trading some of their defensive surplus. But I feel like CBJ also kind of has a defensive surplus. Aren't they trying to offload Boqvist and/or Bean?

Montreal wouldn't give up thier own 1st for Laine but they have Winnipeg's 1st this year abd Calgary/Florida's 1st next year.  They have a lot of other draft capital and several excellent young blueliners they could include.  I'd be curious to see what MSL could do with him. It's certainly along the lines of other moves Hughes has made 

I know Laine entered the players assistance program earlier this year.  I can't find anything about him being released from the program yet.  I can't imagine he'll be traded until he's been cleared to return to play.  If CBJ is done with him a team can probably get him for fairly cheap if they want to take a chance on him 

Laine is 2 years to UFA given some of his personal challenges is he going to attract a big return?  If you wanted to take a big swing if you did a mikheyev for Laine trade how much would you need to add to close the deal?

9 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Laine is 2 years to UFA given some of his personal challenges is he going to attract a big return?  If you wanted to take a big swing if you did a mikheyev for Laine trade how much would you need to add to close the deal?

Even If CBJ is willing to move on from him I doubt Mikheyev is a piece they'd accept in a trade for him 

12 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Highly doubtful JR/PA woukd have any interest in Laine. It’s hard to Believe the Haberdoodles would have interest, let alone actually pay the rumoured ask to acquire. The risk is way too high for Laine. He’s a cap dimperoo. Josh Anderson would have to be coming back. 

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Highly doubtful JR/PA woukd have any interest in Laine. It’s hard to Believe the Haberdoodles would have interest, let alone actually pay the rumoured ask to acquire. The risk is way too high for Laine. He’s a cap dimperoo. Josh Anderson would have to be coming back. 

Can't think of many worse fits with Tocc.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Can't think of many worse fits with Tocc.

The cost probably the snt high and the reward if they got him going?  Yowsa......potential 50-60 goal guy.  Even with his "issues", he's still a point a game player.

They have to have extensive talks with him before pulling the trigger to see where his head is at.

Ultimately, he's a Finn and they are taught to play a 200 ft game, so the base for what RT likes is in there somewhere 

Edited by stawns

Just now, stawns said:

The cost probably the snt high and the reward if they got him going?  Yowsa......potential 50-60 goal guy.

They have to have extensive talks with him before pulling the trigger to see where his head is at.

Ultimately, he's a Finn and they are taught to play a 200 ft game, so the base for what RT likes is in there somewhere 

sure but he's lazy and moody. Not worth the effort imo, not while we have Brock and Lekkerimaki coming soon. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure but he's lazy and moody. Not worth the effort imo, not while we have Brock and Lekkerimaki coming soon. 

He's still a point per game player, even in a "slump".  At some point PA has to tell RT he has to adjust to players because they're not all the same.  They need goals, desperately, and Laine provides that and potentially a large amount of them 

To me, it's definitely worth an inquiry and if the price isn't too high, a long talk with Laine and his agent to see where his head is at 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's still a point per game player, even in a "slump".  At some point PA has to tell RT he has to adjust to players because they're not all the same.  They need goals, desperately, and Laine provides that and potentially a large amount of them 

To me, it's definitely worth an inquiry and if the price isn't too high, a long talk with Laine and his agent to see where his head is at 

even if he came free, its 8.7 mil. Maybe if the Canucks lose out on other free agents or trades, but I'd want CBJ to retain salary no matter what. 

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

even if he came free, its 8.7 mil. Maybe if the Canucks lose out on other free agents or trades, but I'd want CBJ to retain salary no matter what. 

Only two more years though.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not sure about how much would/could be retained, but Waddell is in the exec now and that might constitute some “fingerprint” moves. I’m not a big fan of Laine or his perceived/alleged character traits, but if he found himself alongside EP it could be an F’n DEADLY duo.

he brings everything we want as a potential EP linemate. Size, speed, Finnish finish, and to a certain requisite degree - arrogance - which might be a that trait could be properly parlayed into confidence. Again, he’s made his own bed multiple times in the past  so difficult to hedge as to whether it would work here. RT system buy in especially. 

Even if it was solely for two years, I’d stongly consider the prospect depending on cost. 
It’ll basically constitute his last real chance in the NHL to extend his career at a considerably high contract and with guys like RT and Foote who take no shit, Laine’s agent would have to strongly steer their client who would be on an awfully short leash. Players come here now and can boost their value provided they buy in. Laine in the last year of his deal could become a beast if he’s matured post assistance program. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RWJC said:

not sure about how much would/could be retained, but Waddell is in the exec now and that might constitute some “fingerprint” moves. I’m not a big fan of Laine or his perceived/alleged character traits, but if he found himself alongside EP it could be an F’n DEADLY duo.

he brings everything we want as a potential EP linemate. Size, speed, Finnish finish, and to a certain requisite degree - arrogance - which might be a that trait could be properly parlayed into confidence. Again, he’s made his own bed multiple times in the past  so difficult to hedge as to whether it would work here. RT system buy in especially. 

Even if it was solely for two years, I’d stongly consider the prospect depending on cost. 
It’ll basically constitute his last real chance in the NHL to extend his career at a considerably high contract and with guys like RT and Foote who take no shit, Laine’s agent would have to strongly steer their client who would be on an awfully short leash. Players come here now and can boost their value provided they buy in. Laine in the last year of his deal could become a beast if he’s matured post assistance program. 

And, through all the struggles, he's pretty much always been a point per game player 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

Montreal fans will love him 

🙂

lol if he goes to Habland and doesn’t perform he will be chewed up quicker than Montreal Smoked Beef