[Rumour] Canadiens Linked To Patrik Laine

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Also possible that CBJ retains on Laine too

Wouldn't they be better off just keeping him rather than taking a cap dump who's contract is the same length as Laine's and retaining on him just to get a meaningless prospect?  Also, I'm.pretty sure there are teams that would easily beat that offer for the chance that he rebounds 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Pierre Lebrun reporting on Insider Trading today that Laine wants a fresh start & Laine's camp + the Jackets are working together to make a move happen. He's got 2 more years at 8.7M

Laine to VAN is a idea I floated earlier in the year, if the pursuit of Guentzel was to fall through this could be a backup option since Necas seems like it won't happen. He's also younger like Necas & could grow here if it fits.

Your probably buying low on Laine & if it works with Pettersson the upside is massive both short+long term, and if it doesn't the committment is only 1 more season - so your not locked in.

There's things about his game that aren't perfect but if we are looking for an impact player he's an option.

• ThereItIs 1

Perfect buy low candidate.

The condition would be to ensure whether his physical and mental health is in check. 

Considering what Wheeler and Schiefele did to him (basically bullying him on the Jets), Patrik looks like a kid who has lost the enthusiasm for the game. Going to a market where Hockey is painful to play in where management made many quesitonable decisions and constant instability there, makes sense he looked like a shell of who he was before.

Under the past regime of Benning and co, I would have been hard pass on Patrik. But with the structure and discipline JR, Allvin, and Tocchet have put in place now. I am not opposed to this idea. Tocchet has had plenty of experience working with mercurial/tempermental stars....Malkin, Kessel, OEL, etc. I think he could help Laine find his game again and more.

If CBJ is willing to retain a bit and the ask isn't super high, Im all over this. He has game breaking skill....this team needs more of that.

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rick Tocchet once got Phil Kessel playing like a Conn Smythe winner

The legends about Phil Kessel are very different than the truth about Phil Kessel. He was a solid pro who took the professional athlete part of the job seriously. 
‘Just TO bias and garbage for the most part smearing him because he got the chance to leave that middling organization and actually win some cups. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 5/31/2024 at 2:27 PM, qwijjibo said:

Montreal wouldn't give up thier own 1st for Laine but they have Winnipeg's 1st this year abd Calgary/Florida's 1st next year.  They have a lot of other draft capital and several excellent young blueliners they could include.  I'd be curious to see what MSL could do with him. It's certainly along the lines of other moves Hughes has made 

Best case he's a PPG 35 goal scorer for 8.7, a minus magnet that doesn't get physical despite the tools.    Worst case, he does the same thing but only played 50 or so games.    Laine in MTL or anywhere is risky,  that's a lot of cap space.    What's really the fair value?    

• ThereItIs 1

I doubt this management group are willing to bet on Laine unless the price is very low.

The only scenario I see is that CBJ retain and take on Mik( and maybe Raty as a sweetener).

It would be thrilling to see a motivated and fit Laine on Peteys wing, but it aint gonna happen

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Best case he's a PPG 35 goal scorer for 8.7, a minus magnet that doesn't get physical despite the tools.    Worst case, he does the same thing but only played 50 or so games.    Laine in MTL or anywhere is risky,  that's a lot of cap space.    What's really the fair value?    

Laine, unfortunately, has a questionable history. I might suggest that the Canucks are past taking flyers on players who 'might' return to serious performance. It is not just about what he brings on the ice but also what happens in the locker room. Somehow I don't think he will blend well. 

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Laine, unfortunately, has a questionable history. I might suggest that the Canucks are past taking flyers on players who 'might' return to serious performance. It is not just about what he brings on the ice but also what happens in the locker room. Somehow I don't think he will blend well. 

Laine would be perfect in Montreal. Please Haberdoodles bring him onboard. He’d score 50 and lead the Doodle Bugs to draft First OA. 

On 5/31/2024 at 10:28 AM, JeremyCuddles said:

Remember Laine vs Matthews? Pepperidge Farm remembers. What a short lived duel, Laine fell off pretty hard. Looks like injury woes too. Not sure what from, he doesn't play a physical brand of hockey. Montreal said they were open to trading some of their defensive surplus. But I feel like CBJ also kind of has a defensive surplus. Aren't they trying to offload Boqvist and/or Bean?

It’s kinda bizarre but of all the big three fins that year laine was the best and still though 

go 2-5 after matthews 

laine

PLD

pool party 

JUOLEVI

all looking pretty rough compared to tkachuk 

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It’s kinda bizarre but of all the big three fins that year laine was the best and still though 

go 2-5 after matthews 

laine

PLD

pool party 

JUOLEVI

all looking pretty rough compared to tkachuk 

Yeah, that Finnish renaissance went up in smoke hard. At least Aho made something of all that potential. 2nd rounder though.

If Laine is gonna be the full cap hit of $8.7M, then there's no point.  Guentzel is likely gonna come in just $300k more, and you are much more guaranteed to have a star winger out of Guentzel than Laine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If Laine is gonna be the full cap hit of $8.7M, then there's no point.  Guentzel is likely gonna come in just $300k more, and you are much more guaranteed to have a star winger out of Guentzel than Laine.

And mgmt also knows what they are getting with regard to familiarity in terms of on ice production, coaching  relationship and personal character. People tend to forget how important these factors are when pursuing higher end talent that could potentially upset the internal salary structure and balance of a hockey club.

• Like 1