[Specualtion/Banter] Draisaitl being recruited to BOS when contract expires? Pastrnak speaks up

Watch: Pastrnak Recruits Draisaitl To Join Bruins

Dave Litman Friday, May 31, 2024 

We brought you the original rumors earlier this month—Leon Draisaitl, who is eligible for an extension this summer with the Edmonton Oilers as he heads into the final year of his contract next year, could be interested in going to the Boston Bruins to join his offseason training partner, David Pastrnak. 

It seems the feeling is mutual. Now we've heard from Pastrnak himself, as he joined the Spittin' Chiclets podcast this week and actually came right out and said it: 

“F**k, I would love Draisaitl!" shouted Pastrnak with a big smile on his face when the Oilers' superstar's name was mentioned.

The two were both first-round selections in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, and now, as two of the game's best, train together in Prague during the summers. 

Pastrnak had specifically made a point at Bruins exit interviews earlier in the month that he'd do everything he can to recruit players to come to Boston. And that was evident in this interview. 

"For the Boston Bruins, Original Six, it should be enough for you to come want to play here, and obviously, would I love people to want to come to play here with me?," Pasta asked rhetorically. "Yes, of course, but at the end of the day, if you don't want to come to the Bruins... like... You have to want to come there. We'll see."

Case in point, he was also asked about former Bruin Tyler Bertuzzi who left in free agency last offseason to sign a one-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's a free agent again, but would he want him back? 

"He went to the Leafs!" joked Pastrnak. "Are you kidding me?"

But while Pastrnak is having a fun summer break, yukking it up on podcasts, Draisaitl, of course, isn't thinking about any of this right now. His Oilers are locked in a tough up-and-down battle with the Dallas Stars in the Conference Final, tied at two games apiece going into Friday night's Game 5.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/watch-pastrnak-recruits-draisaitl-to.html

Some of our players have expressed to Lindholm a desire for him to extend with the club so posting this as well for discussion sake. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Great player wants other great player to join their team. I am sure 29 other teams have players that'd love to play with Draisaitl too. But to their credit, they do have cap flexibility. If they sign short term options this summer, leaves them open to target Draisaitl next summer. Adding Lindholm this summer and Draisaitl next summer would be kinda wild.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

Great player wants other great player to join their team. I am sure 29 other teams have players that'd love to play with Draisaitl too. But to their credit, they do have cap flexibility. If they sign short term options this summer, leaves them open to target Draisaitl next summer. Adding Lindholm this summer and Draisaitl next summer would be kinda wild.

I think how it plays will depend on what EDM does next season. If they lose to DAL in these playoffs and then don’t come back as strong next season, I think Draisaitl is gone.

If BOS doesn’t land Lindholm in UFA then they may just patch and plan ahead for following season. 

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

As long as agents aren't meeting with managements of other teams. I think it's just managements can't be talking about interest in specific players under contract. Players can express interest in other players all they want. I wouldn't be surprised if teams also encouraged players to be salesman for their teams. That way management themselves don't need to get hit with tampering allegations but they can still sort of express their own interest in other players.

Bingo. Lots of workarounds.

best example of this in in years past (prior to new negotiation window) when it was announced a player had agreed to a new contract with a new team the second UFA window opened up. Straight up tampering.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, RWJC said:

Bingo. Lots of workarounds.

best example of this in in years past (prior to new negotiation window) when it was announced a player had agreed to a new contract with a new team the second UFA window opened up. Straight up tampering.

Often wondered about this as it does seem to happen enough times to have either (i) the fastest negotiations in history - from 12:01 to 12:02 with contact ready to sign or (ii) details worked out well in advance and paper loaded in the fax machine (oh dear, are those still around?)

Would it be tampering for:

1) an agent to call up PA / JR and say, "hey guys my client is a UFA come July 1st as the entire world knows and he recently became best friends with <insert Canucks player's name>. Apparently my client would be happy to sign a deal for X years at an AAV of $Y. Whatcha think?

2) PA / JR, "well if a contract agreement magically appeared in our fax machine at 12:00:01 AM on July 1st we would have to consider it for about 1 second before signing."

Would that be considered tampering? 

Agents contact management all the time so if it is Agent --> Management who "just listen" is that allowed?

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Often wondered about this as it does seem to happen enough times to have either (i) the fastest negotiations in history - from 12:01 to 12:02 with contact ready to sign or (ii) details worked out well in advance and paper loaded in the fax machine (oh dear, are those still around?)

Would it be tampering for:

1) an agent to call up PA / JR and say, "hey guys my client is a UFA come July 1st as the entire world knows and he recently became best friends with <insert Canucks player's name>. Apparently my client would be happy to sign a deal for X years at an AAV of $Y. Whatcha think?

2) PA / JR, "well if a contract agreement magically appeared in our fax machine at 12:00:01 AM on July 1st we would have to consider it for about 1 second before signing."

Would that be considered tampering? 

Agents contact management all the time so if it is Agent --> Management who "just listen" is that allowed?

edit: I’m wrong. No negotiating window. Just backdoor channel chats lol. 

thanks @qwijjibo

//

UFA's can begin meeting and interviewing with all teams on the day after the Entry Draft (or June 25 at the latest). They cannot sign contracts with new teams until July 1 at 12pm Eastern.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

UFA's can begin meeting and interviewing with all teams on the day after the Entry Draft (or June 25 at the latest). They cannot sign contracts with new teams until July 1 at 12pm Eastern.

I'm pretty sure they did away with that in the last cba in 2020. I'll research it 

Edit , yes. Eliminated in last cba agreement 

" As of last week, with the new CBA ratified and extended through 2025-26, the UFA negotiation window has been eliminated." 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm pretty sure they did away with that in the last cba in 2020. I'll research it 

You’re totally right. Apologies

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think it still exists, pretty sure in fact because iirc I watched Sportsnet UFA primer and whereby they described who was showing interest in whom.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I was obviously too influenced (while under the influence) of the Sportstnet pundits 

Lol no worries.  Pundits still talk about who is showing interest in whom. And I'm sure there's still backroom dealing. But officially the league did away with the interview period in 2020 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

So, with the UFA negotiation window officially eliminated, if an agent called PA / JR before July 1st, are said management officials obligated to hang up the phone otherwise that would be deemed "tampering" if they just sat and listened? 

Edited by Rocket-68

I’d imagine some UFA’s and their agents are simply given permission to speak with other clubs, especially when there appears to be no path forward to any further contract negotiation 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

GM-" WE have no interest in talking about players under contract to other teams.

We are however, interested in acquiring a top 3 in the league, center iceman."

"we will focus on people born in other countries, that are of good size, at least  6 foot 200 lb plus guys"

Draisaitl, and his agent's ear perk up.

Edited by Gurn
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

GM-" WE have no interest in talking about players under contract to other teams.

We are however, interested in acquiring a top 3 in the league, center iceman."

"we will focus on people born in other countries, that are of good size, at least  6 foot 200 lb plus guys"

Draisaitl, and his agent's ear perk up.

There's a marked difference between a player saying he'd love to play with specific players and GM publicly expressing interest in a player under contract. Ask Gillis, who was dumb enough to do it on camera with two other teams players 

• Cheers 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

There's a marked difference between a player saying he'd love to play with specific players and GM publicly expressing interest in a player under contract. Ask Gillis, who was dumb enough to do it on camera with two other teams players 

You mean Benning?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

You mean Benning?

Yup. My mistake. It was Benning. Gillis actually lodged a tampering complaint against Toronto.  I got my wires crossed 

Edited by qwijjibo