[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

Latest On Dakota Joshua

May 31st, 2024 at 11:51am CST • By Josh Erickson

Canucks forward Dakota Joshua could be one of the more appealing depth scoring options on the free agent market if he doesn’t sign an extension before July 1. While both he and the team have expressed a willingness to get a new deal across the finish line, they’re not close to an agreement with one month until July 1, Rick Dhaliwal said on CHEK’s “Donnie & Dhali”earlier this week.

Negotiations with all of Vancouver’s pending free agents will likely be stuck in the mud until one of them takes a massive leap forward. General manager Patrik Allvin has one of the longest offseason to-do lists in the league. He has plenty of notable players on expiring deals. A lack of cost certainty for any of them makes it difficult to know how far they’re willing to go to retain any individual.

On the open market for the second time in his career, the breakout winger had 32 points in 63 contests for the ‘Nucks this season, a 42-point pace had he played in all 82. He backed that up with strong possession numbers while averaging 14:23 per game, the highest usage of his four-year, 184-game career.

A late bloomer, Joshua is unlikely to take much of a further step forward at age 28, but he’s not afraid to lay the body and has fully established himself as a capable, versatile middle-six forward. He averaged 1:50 per game on Vancouver’s penalty kill this year and boasted positive relative possession results (0.5 relative CF%) in the process. Evolving Hockey projectsa conservative two-year, $2MM AAV deal on the open market, likely due to his lack of experience, but few would be surprised if he lands nearly twice that figure.

That wide range of possible deals makes it difficult for Allvin to commit, considering he also needs to save funds to re-sign or replace top-six center Elias Lindholm and most of his defense corps, including Ian Cole, Filip Hronek, Tyler Myers and Nikita Zadorov. The Canucks have $23.75MM in projected cap space with up to eight open roster spots, CapFriendly projects.

One team that could come calling if Joshua is available come July 1 is the Maple Leafs. They selected him 128th overall in 2014 but traded his signing rights to the Blues before getting him under contract.

If so, he’d be open to signing this time around, James Mirtle of The Athletic said during a podcast appearance Thursday. He’d be a logical fit to replace Tyler Bertuzzi in their top nine if they can’t manage to extend him before free agency opens.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/latest-on-dakota-joshua.html#ref=home

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sounds like management wanted him closer to 2mil. And Joshua's camp probably wants 4. Meet in the middle I say :classic_ninja:

If we are set on getting a true top 6 winger for Petey then every penny counts.  I think it's more important to improve our top 6 than to keep our 3rd liners...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BPA said:

If they can’t reach an agreement, hope Canucks trade his rights to TO for a 4th or 5th rd pick.

I'd rather him go to Columbus and get a higher pick. I wouldn't want him to suffer in Toronto.

• Cheers 2

Intriguing UFA Forward Drafted By Maple Leafs Interested In "Reunion"

Dave Litman Friday, May 31, 2024

He was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 5th round of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft (#128 overall), but never pulled on the Blue & White, not emerging in the NHL for another six years. Now, Vancouver Canucks' pending UFA Dakota Joshua would be interested in joining the Leafs in free agency, per a report from James Mirtle on The Leaf Report podcast. 

“I’ve heard some people say that Joshua wouldn’t want to be in Toronto because he was a draft pick and he played four years in college and walked. I’m told that’s not true.

He would be interested in Toronto. The reason he didn’t sign with Toronto when he was a pick, was he thought it would be hard to break into the forward group at the time, given all the good young forwards they had at the time, and he thought going somewhere else he would get more of an opportunity in the NHL faster. That’s why he made that choice.”

Joshua, now 28, is coming off a bargain two-year, $825,000 AAV deal with the Canucks, and had a breakout year this season in a middle-six role in Vancouver, with 18 goals and 32 points in 63 games along with an impressive +19 rating. The 6'3" power forward also handed out a punishing 245 hits. 

With that kind of size and strength, as well as a developing offensive touch, he'd be a perfect fit for the Leafs who are looking to add some punch to their bottom-six. 

He began his NHL career with the St. Louis Blues for parts of two seasons from 2020-2022 playing under new Leafs coach Craig Berube.

The word out of Vancouver is that the Canucks and Joshua "aren't close" on a potential extension. Daily Faceoff's projection has Joshua landing a three-year, $3 million AAV contract in free agency, while Mirtle suggests he could get as much as $4M AAV. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/intriguing-ufa-forward-drafted-by-maple.html

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are set on getting a true top 6 winger for Petey then every penny counts.  I think it's more important to improve our top 6 than to keep our 3rd liners...

Our 3rd line was better than our 2nd line. 3mil for Joshua isn't even that bad. Given other 3rd liners are making more. I'd rather let Myers and Zads walk and target a top 6 winger with their cap.

That is true. It wasn't a bargain... Allvin hoped (and prayed) that Joshua would be a decent bottom 6. I don't think that even Allvin foresaw that Dak would breakout thus way. The thing is that Dak's breakout looks very sustainable.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Guess tampering isn’t a thing anymore…

Dont buy for a second that teams aren’t having their players and media recruit other teams pending UFAs

You don't often see tampering charges because most gms aren't dumb enough to publicly comment on players under contract with other teams 

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How can they say 2 years $825k was a bargain. At the time he was lucky to get a second year.

Yup. DJ was in Tocchet’s doghouse to start the year. Without Tocchet does DJ regress to who he was? 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Our 3rd line was better than our 2nd line. 3mil for Joshua isn't even that bad. Given other 3rd liners are making more. I'd rather let Myers and Zads walk and target a top 6 winger with their cap.

Allvin is confident he can find the next Dakota Joshua, so no point in overpaying for him.  Joshua was literally a nobody a year ago.  I'd much rather keep our large defence than a 3rd liner.  That's not even up for discussion.  If you get a true top 6 winger then our 3rd line won't be better than our 2nd line anymore, which is the way it's supposed to be if you want to win a cup...

• Like 4

Just now, qwijjibo said:

You don't often see tampering charges because most gms aren't dumb enough to publicly comment on players under contract with other teams 

Im certain they talk to agents behind closed doors though. 

How else do teams have deals already signed July 1st?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. DJ was in Tocchet’s doghouse to start the year. Without Tocchet does DJ regress to who he was? 

Joshua was looking to get scratched from the lineup in the preseason.  Tocchet saved his career.  If he leaves he might end up like Anson Carter...

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Let’s not discount Garlands role in his break out season though. Everyone who played with Garland improved.

Would he have the same success elsewhere? That’s what he has to ask himself.

Exactly, he can expect a raise but he should keep it real. $4M is just too much. Do you think that 2.75M for 4 years is too much term? The term brings down the AAV.

Edited by Kevlar

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Im certain they talk to agents behind closed doors though. 

How else do teams have deals already signed July 1st?

Oh I have no doubt thst happens. But you don't seevtampering charges because no one other than Gillis has been dumb enough to comment on the record 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Exactly, he can expect a rause buy he should keep it real. $4M is just too much. Do you think that 2.75M for 4 years is too much term? The term brings down the AAV.

if somebody wants to give him 4 schmil, all the power to him. it just better not be here. 

guy has potential one year wonder written all over him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

if somebody wants to give him 4 schmil, all the power to him. it just better not be here. 

guy has potential one year wonder written all over him. 

His shooting percentage was unsustainable this season.  He's definitely due to regress next season. The question is to what extent 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Let’s not discount Garlands role in his break out season though. Everyone who played with Garland improved.

Would he have the same success elsewhere? That’s what he has to ask himself.

And RT as well. Gave him major opportunity 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

And, imo, it's time to move Garland into the top 6.  That makes life a lot easier for PA

I would make a case that Joshua should move into the top 6 as well if he’s gonna be making 3 mil. He has the skill to play that role.

I would prefer that over overpaying someone like Zucker or Duclair. And like you said it makes PAs life easier. He can replace those bottom 6 players with cheaper short term contracts like he did last season.

Put that money into a legit winger for Petey.

Garland Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Lindholm/Guentzel