[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Can Pods PK and fight the big boppers? Pods is a good player but IMHAO he’s not ready for the role DJ played. 

not this moment, but a year under Tocc? lets not forget, we didn't get this version of JD for over a year. I do think with the same coaching Podz could be even better. Maybe not the fighting part, but who knows? the kid has big mitts. 

Edited by Bob Long

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think that's the likeliest scenario.  I think two internal moves can give them some flexibility..........garland to the top 6 and Podz to the third line and actually leave him there and give him a legit chance.

If they moved Garland into the top 6, it's easier to rebuild the third line than it is to find a top 6 winger without breaking the bank......and it leaves more $ for the dcorp, which should be the priority, imo

its easy to forget, Joshua was a fringe project when we got him. Give Podz the same level of attention and I think we have beast. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not this moment, but a year under Tocc? lets not forget, we didn't get this version of JD for over a year. I do think with the same coaching Podz could be even better. Maybe not the fighting part, but who knows? the kid has big mitts. 

The old “a bird in hand …” comes to mind. We have DJ and Zadorov. Yes they are only supporting cast guys, but the roles they play might not be so easy to replace as some of our other supporting cast players. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pods also suffered that injury early last season - hopefully with a healthy season he takes a big step.  He’s getting older but he’s also shown enough that I’m hopeful he can be a rock solid middle 6 option. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The old “a bird in hand …” comes to mind. We have DJ and Zadorov. Yes they are only supporting cast guys, but the roles they play might not be so easy to replace as some of our other supporting cast players. 

for sure, and I'm not arguing their usefulness, just JDs price. 4 is just too high, if thats a real number. Let Treliving pay that. 

Big Z is the unicorn you overpay for imo. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A bird in hand, is safer, than a bird over head?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

for sure, and I'm not arguing their usefulness, just JDs price. 4 is just too high, if thats a real number. Let Treliving pay that. 

Big Z is the unicorn you overpay for imo. 

Myers is apparently taking 3 per to stay. He was just getting 6 per. Maybe we allocate some of that 3 mil saved to Big Z? 
Big Z (5.5) and Myers (3) 8.5 2nd pair?

Term might be a bit too many years for each guy though. Six for Z and three for Myers? D-Petey and Willander will be pushing for spots in a couple seasons. Maybe even next season for D-Petey. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers is apparently taking 3 per to stay. He was just getting 6 per. Maybe we allocate some of that 3 mil saved to Big Z? 

Term might be a bit too many years for each guy though. Six for Z and three for Myers? D-Petey and Willander will be pushing for spots in a couple seasons. Maybe even next season for D-Petey. 

Another way to free up some cap space to resign Joshua and Zadorov (who I think should be our priorities) would be to trade Hronek for prospects and picks, then just sign a cheaper RHD to play with Hughes (e.g., Tanev) for the next 2-3 years, until Willander arrives.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds about right to me 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'd say definitely yes.

The fact that he gives our other players protection is worth a whole lot. He embraces the role and if we let him go, who does that part? 

Along with the fact he has pretty good hands and is a total team player. You just don't get guys like him every day and, if you have one, you hold onto him as long as it’s under 5m a year 

ftfy 😅

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it's fine. 

Soucy has 1 year left as does Juulon. D Pete and Willander will have an opportunity in 2025/26. Regardless of signing Zad and Myers.  

Huggy DeMelo

Zad Tom

Pete Myers 

Juuls/Soucy re up?

If Hronek is un willing to sign in the low 7's I would like Alvin to pursue DeMelo. He's been a great partner for Morrissey. I imagine he would complement Hugs just as well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I think it's fine. 

Soucy has 1 year left as does Juulon. D Pete and Willander will have an opportunity in 2025/26. Regardless of signing Zad and Myers.  

Huggy DeMelo

Zad Tom

Pete Myers 

Juuls/Soucy re up?

If Hronek is un willing to sign in the low 7's I would like Alvin to pursue DeMelo. He's been a great partner for Morrissey. I imagine he would complement Hugs just as well. 

Looks really good. And in 3 years when Hughes is in for a big raise we have two guys on ELCs to balance the cost. Seems like PA is thinking along your lines. If a guy (Hronek in this case; Bo before) is only chasing money then he will move on. 

• Like 2

Joshua should try to cash in and go sign with the team that pays him the most.. this is his chance to make a few million dollars and he has to take advantage of his situation.  

I don't expect anything of significance to happen until towards the end of June , closer to the draft..

Maybe Myers might extend over the next 2 weeks but most of the action will happen around draft day and in free agency. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Big Z is the unicorn you overpay for imo

Only if you've moved on from Hronek I think.  We also have to remember, and hopefully PA does, that Zad had a pretty average year and that all this hype is coming from a 13 game stretch........he might never, likely never, play consistently at the level again in his career.

All we've been hearing for the last 3-4 years is complaining about how they overpaid and over-termed for Myers and now those same people are asking the same for Zad.  And Myers had a far better resume leading up to that contract.

Edited by stawns

45 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Joshua should try to cash in and go sign with the team that pays him the most.. this is his chance to make a few million dollars and he has to take advantage of his situation.  

I don't expect anything of significance to happen until towards the end of June , closer to the draft..

Maybe Myers might extend over the next 2 weeks but most of the action will happen around draft day and in free agency. 

He does and I doubt anyone would think less of him for it.  However, he likely chases the money at the expense of winning a Cup, or even getting close, in his career.  

I don't see many, if any, playoff team (most of whom are tight against the cap) giving him that kind of deal.  He might get one from a Columbus or Philly etc, but I don't see a team in the top 10 of the league giving him an overpriced, long term deal based on 1 good year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Only if you've moved on from Hronek I think.  We also have to remember, and hopefully PA does, that Zad had a pretty average year and that all this hype is coming from a 13 game stretch........he might never, likely never, play consistently at the level again in his career.

All we've been hearing for the last 3-4 years is complaining about how they overpaid and over-termed for Myers and now those same people are asking the same for Zad.  And Myers had a far better resume leading up to that contract.

Z brings an element of hitting and intimidation thats pretty special, particularly in the playoffs. He's a good example of a guy that can bring the physical play without needing to fight, which he also will on occasion but thats not his go-to. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Z brings an element of hitting and intimidation thats pretty special, particularly in the playoffs. He's a good example of a guy that can bring the physical play without needing to fight, which he also will on occasion but thats not his go-to. 

I dont disagree, at all, but they can't afford to overpay anyone.......aav or term.  If they move hronek, then maybe Zad at $5-5.25, but truky, he's not worth that $, nor has he earned it outside of one playoff run

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dont disagree, at all, but they can't afford to overpay anyone.......aav or term.  If they move hronek, then maybe Zad at $5-5.25, but truky, he's not worth that $, nor has he earned it outside of one playoff run

I'm hoping for something like 30 mil over 7 years. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe but people said that about Myers too. 

It’s easy to suggest any player will not age well because most don’t age well. D like Z do tend to age well though. Big guys who can be physical. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He does and I doubt anyone would think less of him for it.  However, he likely chases the money at the expense of winning a Cup, or even getting close, in his career.  

I don't see many, if any, playoff team (most of whom are tight against the cap) giving him that kind of deal.  He might get one from a Columbus or Philly etc, but I don't see a team in the top 10 of the league giving him an overpriced, long term deal based on 1 good year.

He's not at a point in life where he can take less to chase a Cup. His net worth Is probably under $1 million and he's 28 yrs old.

Joshua has one chance to make a few million. He'd be an idiot to buy a Stanley Cup lottery ticket with a playoff team and pay millions for that ticket. He has a chance to make a bit of money and he needs to take advantage of this opportunity. 

He should sign the best offer preferably with term and not worry about having to stock grocery shelves at Safeway in 5 yrs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's not at a point in life where he can take less to chase a Cup. His net worth Is probably under $1 million and he's 28 yrs old.

Joshua has one chance to make a few million. He'd be an idiot to buy a Stanley Cup lottery ticket with a playoff team and pay millions for that ticket. He has a chance to make a bit of money and he needs to take advantage of this opportunity. 

He should sign the best offer preferably with term and not worry about having to stock grocery shelves at Safeway in 5 yrs.

I agree with you completely and I wouldn't think any less of him for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

wonder what the league rules say about the fans starting a go fund me page?

Just to top up the offers the club is able to do.

Want to keep Zads- how about the club offers $4.5 mill, and the fan 'booster' club puts up $750,000.?

or, in order to make a point about the differing taxes in different places--- the booster club covers part of the tax burden?

• Haha 2