[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

That makes no sense to me, Garland was one of your 4 best fwds this year and, arguably, your most clutch player in the playoffs.  I thought the goal is to build on their success?  You don't do that by subtracting one of their best, if not their best, playoff performer

We can replace Garlsnd’s minutes with Hogs and save 4 mil on the cap. 2 mil extra for each DJ and Big Z. Those two big boppers are way more important to our club than Garland. What they provide isn’t so easily replaced, like how Hogs replaces Garland. 
We have smart management again. They will do what is best to build out a winning roster. And step one this off season is to clear all of Garland’s cap. Management knows Hogs will seamlessly fill that role. 

• Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We can replace Garlsnd’s minutes with Hogs and save 4 mil on the cap. 2 mil extra for each DJ and Big Z. Those two big boppers are way more important to our club than Garland. What they provide isn’t so easily replaced, like how Hogs replaces Garland. 
We have smart management again. They will do what is best to build out a winning roster. And step one this off season is to clear all of Garland’s cap. Management knows Hogs will seamlessly fill that role. 

Other than short what similarities do you see in their games?  They seem like very different players other than being 5v5 points generators. Or do you just see 2 short wingers and assume they are equivalent. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Other than short what similarities do you see in their games?  They seem like very different players other than being 5v5 points generators. Or do you just see 2 short wingers and assume they are equivalent. 

Garland and Hogs are spin tops in the O-Zone. They each hound pucks like pests. One has a lot more finish than the other. Neither is a PP or PK guy. It’s not so much Hogs being the same player as it is he’s 4 mil less on the cap and can play the same minutes. Then the cap savings are used to keep two players we don’t have internal replacements for: DJ and Big Z. We trade from a position of strength to fill a position of need. We have Hogs for the Garland role. Who do we have for the DJ and Zadorov roles? 

• ThereItIs 2

On 6/1/2024 at 9:28 AM, -dlc- said:

Garland has proven himself and what he can do. He was in the top 5 goal scorers for us last year and is a spark in games that we should be out of...pulls us back into them. A difference maker.

No to him being moved.

I can't believe after this season people are even entertaining the idea. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I can't believe after this season people are even entertaining the idea. 

Me either, probably one of our most effective 5v5 players, gar can play up and down the lineup he’s finally playing above his contract and now ppl wanna get rid of him in hopes to sign players wanting more than he’s worth 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

“Worst case” scenario our top 6

looks like:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

With a pretty nice piece in Suter in the bottom 6.  Add Bleuger on a reasonable deal and we have nice veteran C depth and some flexibility. 

It’s glaringly obvious to me, though, that we need a high end winger to play with Petey.  Banking on a Mikheyev resurgence is risky - and leaving him on a shutdown line with Suter or Bleuger would probably be best if we can’t trade him.  Tough to see how it all fits when you start counting those pennies, though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

“Worst case” scenario our top 6

looks like:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

With a pretty nice piece in Suter in the bottom 6.  Add Bleuger on a reasonable deal and we have nice veteran C depth and some flexibility. 

It’s glaringly obvious to me, though, that we need a high end winger to play with Petey.  Banking on a Mikheyev resurgence is risky - and leaving him on a shutdown line with Suter or Bleuger would probably be best if we can’t trade him.  Tough to see how it all fits when you start counting those pennies, though. 

We needed at least one top six winger heading into the playoffs, management opted for a center in Lindholm. Lindholm wound up playing well come playoff time but I dunno, maybe we'd have been better adding more punch on the wing.

We still need a top six player up front, having three top six guys down the middle wasn't ever likely to be a thing long-term. 

Hoglander had himself a good season, but whether he builds on it is anyone's guess. Mikheyev may bounce back but that's a gamble. Garland could be promoted, but then the third line may end up lacking. Tough decisions for management going forward. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:12 AM, Alflives said:

Hogs was invisible - he did Jack squat during the playoffs  - Garland was amazing 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 9:27 AM, Captain insano said:

Me either, probably one of our most effective 5v5 players, gar can play up and down the lineup he’s finally playing above his contract and now ppl wanna get rid of him in hopes to sign players wanting more than he’s worth 🤦🏼‍♂️

Not probably… he was the most effective player 5v5

• Cheers 1

On 6/4/2024 at 8:46 PM, Coconuts said:

We needed at least one top six winger heading into the playoffs, management opted for a center in Lindholm. Lindholm wound up playing well come playoff time but I dunno, maybe we'd have been better adding more punch on the wing.

We still need a top six player up front, having three top six guys down the middle wasn't ever likely to be a thing long-term. 

Hoglander had himself a good season, but whether he builds on it is anyone's guess. Mikheyev may bounce back but that's a gamble. Garland could be promoted, but then the third line may end up lacking. Tough decisions for management going forward. 

I think the biggest problem with Hogs is that he was elevated to the EP line. He was doing great on the fourth line as a fourth line play driver. In my view, Miller, EP, Garland, and Hogs are the play drivers lines 1 through 4. Hopefully management can build four solid lines around those four.

Suter/xx Miller Boeser

UFA/trade EP UFA/trade

Garland Suter/xx xx

xx xx Hogs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I think the biggest problem with Hogs is that he was elevated to the EP line. He was doing great on the fourth line as a fourth line play driver. In my view, Miller, EP, Garland, and Hogs are the play drivers lines 1 through 4. Hopefully management can build four solid lines around those four.

Suter/xx Miller Boeser

UFA/trade EP UFA/trade

Garland Suter/xx xx

xx xx Hogs

I get it, but we really need him to develop into a legit top six guy imo

He had a good year but he's gotta build on it imo

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get it, but we really need him to develop into a legit top six guy imo

He had a good year but he's gotta build on it imo

That means playing 16 plus mins in my view and I just don't see it. I really like Hogs and think he could consistently score 15 plus 5v5 goals per year, however; I am not sure he is a top six player, more likely a really good third liner with second line goal scoring ability.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

That means playing 16 plus mins in my view and I just don't see it. I really like Hogs and think he could consistently score 15 plus 5v5 goals per year, however; I am not sure he is a top six player, more likely a really good third liner with second line goal scoring ability.

I agree with your view right now, Hogz started to disappear after he was elevated in the line up. That said with age and conditioning he COULD move up. But next season I’d go in to it looking to keep him bottom 6 unless he blows away the competition in preseason.

11 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

That'd be great too, we just really need some homegrown guys to take steps forward and become diffence makers imo

• Cheers 1

Joshua wasn’t that amazing either… During the playoffs… We need to get playoff performers… Dudes with heart that don’t back down and quit…

he had that amazing goal but all in all he didn’t look that great…

To be a fly on the wall in the playoff dressing room of the Canucks would’ve been interesting… Just to see the dynamics between the players… To see which ones were 100% committed and the ones that weren’t… And how they interacted with each other… Because something was definitely was up with that team - a lot of people weren’t competing… Like they should’ve been…

Joshua was pretty good this season but he is replacable, it was Garly who was the driving force for the success of that line

On 6/1/2024 at 7:35 AM, Alflives said:

Garland is way too slow to play with Petey. Petey needs a fast winger who can drive D off the blue line on the rush. Garland is getting traded. 

I'm not sure how you see it that way.  Petey needs someone to go and get the puck and Garland does that very well.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Joshua wasn’t that amazing either… During the playoffs… We need to get playoff performers… Dudes with heart that don’t back down and quit…

he had that amazing goal but all in all he didn’t look that great…

For perspective for you.

DJ had a similar playoff stat line that David Pasta in the same amount of games played without PP1 time and a much greater PK and Hit impact.

DJ had a better playoff stat line than Kane with harder matchups, in less games played.

DJ scored more goals than:

JT Miller, Petey, Zibinajad, Garland, Hintz Svechnikov, etc

And the same amount as Guentzel, Mackinnon.

This was DJ first playoff performance and he was a monster physically with how he threw his body around, he had multiple games where he was key in us winning and he had some other games where he was less effective and took som ebad penalties / for they were just bad calls its debatable.

But overall for a playoff rookie I would say your review of his post season isn't really fair at all.

I dont even know if debrusk or bertuzzi are worth $2M more a season than what Dakota could do next season. Especially when you consider he could improve next year from what we saw this year.

I really hope there is a way we can sign him to a reasonable deal as I think we are a better team with him in our top 9 mix.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm not sure how you see it that way.  Petey needs someone to go and get the puck and Garland does that very well.

I found it interesting that we never saw the Joshua - Garland combo with Petey.

They played with Miller, Lindholm, Suter, Blueger every C but Petey.

I thought they would have been a good combo to try and get Petey going when he was struggling down the stretch before the playoffs.

They did open the year together Garland and Petey and it didn't really click too well

There was stone with podkolzin Petey garland with Green I think as coach that did look good in flashes if I remember correctly.

We really should have a higher end piece to play with Petey though.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, AAA said:

Joshua was pretty good this season but he is replacable, it was Garly who was the driving force for the success of that line

Will be interesting to see how Joshua does without Gar, if that happens. I think not near as well.

On 6/6/2024 at 2:43 PM, Rekker said:

Will be interesting to see how Joshua does without Gar, if that happens. I think not near as well.

I’m just gonna say garland and blueger felt the Dak loss when he broke his hand.

like Morrison and naslund missed bertuzzi. 

I think Dak missing on our PK and in our forward mix was super noticeable so if we can’t resign him I hope they have a plan for another forward to fill the role he did or at least have some

of his traits 

• Cheers 1