[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

On 6/4/2024 at 10:39 AM, The Duke said:

“Worst case” scenario our top 6

looks like:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

With a pretty nice piece in Suter in the bottom 6.  Add Bleuger on a reasonable deal and we have nice veteran C depth and some flexibility. 

It’s glaringly obvious to me, though, that we need a high end winger to play with Petey.  Banking on a Mikheyev resurgence is risky - and leaving him on a shutdown line with Suter or Bleuger would probably be best if we can’t trade him.  Tough to see how it all fits when you start counting those pennies, though. 

And can we count on hoglander to be in the top 6? 

I think he's worth the 4M. Go look up comparable players that played well in both regular season and playoffs. Plus he's got some size and plays with a bit of an edge. We need more of that, not less. I don't want him to walk just because he's earned a raise. Pay the guy already.

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

And can we count on hoglander to be in the top 6? 

I guess it depends on the winger we get for Pete. If they pick up a pwf possibly? If they get a skill guy probably not. Hogs gotta have some value he scored 20g from the 4th line playing limited mins mostly 5v5. He could probably be packaged to upgrade our top 6. 

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I guess it depends on the winger we get for Pete. If they pick up a pwf possibly? If they get a skill guy probably not. Hogs gotta have some value he scored 20g from the 4th line playing limited mins mostly 5v5. He could probably be packaged to upgrade our top 6. 

Ya I’m not sure

24 goal scorer and our first unit Pp he didn’t even get a sniff 

he’s a wild card for next season as an asset this offseason and as a fit

ofc if he takes a step for next year would really help 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Ya I’m not sure

24 goal scorer and our first unit Pp he didn’t even get a sniff 

he’s a wild card for next season as an asset this offseason and as a fit

ofc if he takes a step for next year would really help 

Much like Lekkerimaki he's gonna have to absolutely blow some doors off to play top 6. Miller is going to be playing the best of the NHLs best and Pete's going to be playing the league's best shut down clutch n grabbers. He's going to have to really prove he can handle the heat. It's going to be a tough time getting that shot off playing bottom 6. Especially since checking is unlikely to be his forte. 

I am a big Hoglander fan since before he was drafted. But I have a hard time figuring how he fits the roster long term. It's one thing that he has an efficient contract and that's great. But if your orchestra needs a trumpet you don't give the 2nd drummer his seat because he's cheep and willing to play trumpet. He's gotta win the first drummer seat. 

Edited by Hammertime

On 6/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, canuck73_3 said:

I can't believe after this season people are even entertaining the idea. 

Honestly, the only way I’d consider moving him is if we get someone bigger, plays more physical and scores more often. He had a nice bounce back season. 

The Canucks should start looking at those former first rounders in the 24-26 age.  

A guy like Max Jones from Anaheim or Riley Tufte might be good bets in the bottom 6. 

Maybe a guy like Jost could even find a place here.

These are the cheap gambles we should be looking at to rebuild that bottom 6. As long as they’ve got the tools to pk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks should start looking at those former first rounders in the 24-26 age.  

A guy like Max Jones from Anaheim or Riley Tufte might be good bets in the bottom 6. 

These are the cheap gambles we should be looking at to rebuild that bottom 6. As long as they’ve got the tools to pk.

I trust the pro scouting group to do a good job of this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Krebs @R3aL or Turcotte, or pay for Sillinger. 

We need young C's to make Aman have to fight for his spot. Not some Lafferty in the offseason. You get a guy like him at the DL for scrapps if you need to. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I trust the pro scouting group to do a good job of this.

Having Tocchet and his group involved helps too. He clearly has a well defined criteria of players he likes. Ones that bring the “non negotiable” elements to their game.

Seemed like under the last management group we would just bring in any random castoff regardless of their fit or skill set. Then Green was tasked with teaching them to play a two way game. Not really fair to him.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We need young C's to make Aman have to fight for his spot. Not some Lafferty in the offseason. You get a guy like him at the DL for scrapps if you need to. 

Sillinger would be great but I doubt he’d be available.

Imagine a third line of:

Crouse - Sillinger - Garland

I would pay a lot of draft picks for that!

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Having Tocchet and his group involved helps too. He clearly has a well defined criteria of players he likes. Ones that bring the “non negotiable” elements to their game.

Seemed like under the last management group we would just bring in any random castoff regardless of their fit or skill set. Then Green was tasked with teaching them to play a two way game. Not really fair to him.

Wasn't a big green fan, but I guess we'll see what he does with a different team.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

A year ago I would have still been interested in Jost. However, he seems to keep going in the wrong direction and ended up in the AHL for the first time in 5 seasons. I definitely don't have an issue with looking some guys who haven't yet broken into the league but could with a new team. However, Jost is on his 3rd team and going the wrong direction.

Max Jones on the other hand is intriguing. He has good size, is a decent skater, and hits a fair bit. I'm not sure how he is defensively though. He might just be another Sam Lafferty but he could become something more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Only way DJ is worth $4M (from a Canucks perspective) is if Mgmt/coaches 99% believe he will play on line 1 or 2 next season.

This is the scenario we don't discuss enough.  We won't pay him 4 mil on the 3rd line with Garland, but as the third member of Petey's line?  Probably won't happen but it might beat bringing Toffoli back in that role, for example. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Krebs and Sillinger would interest me

my only worry with Krebs is how much has Buffalo hurt his development 

but, out of all the teams to lift a C from id love to target Buffalo not only do they have a surplus of young Cs but there’s a weird thing about former sabres having great success elsewhere

like outside of guys like Eichel and ROR just even looking at this Stanley cup final you’ve got 

okposo 

kane

Reinhart

montour

rodriguez

maybe I’m even missing someone lol 

funny to think they had Reinhart Eichel ROR and Montour 

• Cheers 1

looks like:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

With a pretty nice piece in Suter in the bottom 6.  Add Bleuger on a reasonable deal and we have nice veteran C depth and some flexibility. 

It’s glaringly obvious to me, though, that we need a high end winger to play with Petey.  Banking on a Mikheyev resurgence is risky - and leaving him on a shutdown line with Suter or Bleuger would probably be best if we can’t trade him.  Tough to see how it all fits when you start counting those pennies, though. 

That worse case scenario lineup is prolly not even a wildcard caliber lineup.. garland had not worked on the miller or ep line at anytime last season when playing there.. and hoglander mikheyev was rotating in and out of the press box with their playoff performance.. 

On a cup winning team Joshua, Garland and Hoglander are very good third line players. On a bad team they could be second line guys. As of right now with Lindholm not signed we only have 3 true top 6 guys: Miller, Boeser, Petey. We need at least 1 bonafide top 6 guy (for Petey) and then we could fill in the gaps with guys like Hogs and Garland.

• Like 1

looks like:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

My friend if that is our top 6 next year then I’m sorry to say we will fare just the same or worse than this year. Mikheyev is a third/fourth line guy. Garland and Hoglander both in the top 6 makes our top 6 small (feisty sure but not big). We can get away with having one in the top 6. Canucks really need to pick up one more top 6 player.

2 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

On a cup winning team Joshua, Garland and Hoglander are very good third line players. On a bad team they could be second line guys. As of right now with Lindholm not signed we only have 3 true top 6 guys: Miller, Boeser, Petey. We need at least 1 bonafide top 6 guy (for Petey) and then we could fill in the gaps with guys like Hogs and Garland.

Garlands 5v5 production sure states he deserves to be top 6 on any team in the league, and at great value, the eye test also confirms that for myself 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Krebs and Sillinger would interest me

my only worry with Krebs is how much has Buffalo hurt his development 

but, out of all the teams to lift a C from id love to target Buffalo not only do they have a surplus of young Cs but there’s a weird thing about former sabres having great success elsewhere

like outside of guys like Eichel and ROR just even looking at this Stanley cup final you’ve got 

okposo 

kane

Reinhart

montour

rodriguez

maybe I’m even missing someone lol 

funny to think they had Reinhart Eichel ROR and Montour 

Montour is an interesting one to look at. Strong start to his career in Anaheim, then not so great with Buffalo, but now excellent with Florida. Buffalo does have a number of young players that seem to be going in the wrong direction. It definitely makes you start to wonder what's wrong with Buffalo. Cozens is another guy where you have to wonder if he just had a slightly down year or if he's going to start regressing as well.

I don't know if Buffalo is ready to give up on Krebs yet, as he was a part of the Eichel trade, but maybe with the emergency of Quinn and Ostlund pushing for a spot they are. Krebs would probably more likely be a throw-in in a larger trade than the main focus of a smaller trade though.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Montour is an interesting one to look at. Strong start to his career in Anaheim, then not so great with Buffalo, but now excellent with Florida. Buffalo does have a number of young players that seem to be going in the wrong direction. It definitely makes you start to wonder what's wrong with Buffalo. Cozens is another guy where you have to wonder if he just had a slightly down year or if he's going to start regressing as well.

I don't know if Buffalo is ready to give up on Krebs yet, as he was a part of the Eichel trade, but maybe with the emergency of Quinn and Ostlund pushing for a spot they are. Krebs would probably more likely be a throw-in in a larger trade than the main focus of a smaller trade though.

He had one outlier year in Fla and he wants to bank on that.  He's a 3-4 dman, imo, and he's going to want to get paid like a 1-2.

Pass

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

He had one outlier year in Fla and he wants to bank on that.  He's a 3-4 dman, imo, and he's going to want to get paid like a 1-2.

Pass

He didn't put up 70 points this year like he did last year, but he's still Florida's second highest aTOI defenseman in the playoffs this year (and was the highest in the regular season). He managed to push Ekblad down to the 2nd pairing. Ultimately I mostly agree with you and see him as very comparable to Hronek, however he will likely get paid more this summer due to a better playoffs (and his 73 points last season) and because he's a UFA. Montour is definitely the biggest fish in free agency among defensemen this year if Florida can't re-sign him.

On 5/31/2024 at 10:17 AM, Bob Long said:

4 mil is just too much. 

I'm a big Joshua fan based on the impact he had on the team when he wasn't in the lineup and the strength of his pairing with Garland. He missed 25 games and he still had 32 points and those points were often game changers, when the 1st line wasn't scoring. I think folks are really underestimating the value of a quality line in Joshua, Garland, and ? ( Blueger ). I don't see how Lindholm asking for almost 2x of Joshua. There's no way that makes sense. 

The Canucks lacked solid lines and taking away one of our most exciting and inspiring lines seems like a very bad idea. If anything Joshua is the model of the type of player we need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

They also have jiri kulich coming up

Quick too